Kansas City, Primus Audio Sept. 13th 2009
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, thanks Zach from Primus Audio.

The meet took place at Zach's high-end audio shop in downtown Kansas City. The building worked quite well for the meet. There was 3 sound isolated rooms and a large meeting area as well.

There were 6 of us there and one was a non Head-fier (my brother who took the pictures). I think for that amount we were able to have alot of play time on the gear. We had enough equipment for a day or two of listening.

img6707ff.jpg

Patrick Listening to the Stax SR-5's

img6636ff.jpg

Zach (right) on the Goldring DR150's and I on the Signet's. We were using a Denon CDP and the Goldrings were on the Millett Max and the Signets were on the Millett SS.

img6677b.jpg

Zach and Dennis hooking up a Gerrard phono pre-amp that Dennis brought.

img6643t.jpg

Me logging some time on the AKG 701's.

img6701ff.jpg

Equipment list on table: (Stax system was in use at time of picture)

AKG- K701, K240
Sennheiser- HD650, HD600, HD590, HD280 pro
Grado- 325i, 225, 125
Denon- D7000
Signet- TK22
Stax- SR-5

Cayin- HA 1A
Millett Max
Millett SS
Creek OBH-11

A little candy
img6623bw.jpg

Impressions and more photos to come...................

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 5

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
My goal at the meet was to do some perceptal testing of some audio functions and gear which altered the signal to some degree. First, was a recently-bought Phase Linear preamp with an "Ambience" knob. The "min" and "max" settings yielded different sounds. I guessed that it functioned as an adjustable Loudness control, but Zach thought not. Does anyone out there know exactly what it does?

Next, I had everyone try out the Static Headroom, and impressions were mixed. The whole Headroom thing, IIRC, is to crossfeed the two channels, and thus reduce the in-your-head sound. With the processor engaged, the soundfield did spread out, but some people did not like that on some songs/music. Long ago I found that I could listen to my Stax a little longer and/or a little louder without fatigue using the Headroom.

Lastly, a few people got to listen to music through a TDS (True Dimensional Sound) unit which, again IIRC, restores lost harmonics. Impressions here were mostly negative.

Maybe more later...

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 5

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
A few more pictures and impressions would help.
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 5

billinkansas

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My goal at the meet was to do some perceptal testing of some audio functions and gear which altered the signal to some degree. First, was a recently-bought Phase Linear preamp with an "Ambience" knob. The "min" and "max" settings yielded different sounds. I guessed that it functioned as an adjustable Loudness control, but Zach thought not. Does anyone out there know exactly what it does?

Next, I had everyone try out the Static Headroom, and impressions were mixed. The whole Headroom thing, IIRC, is to crossfeed the two channels, and thus reduce the in-your-head sound. With the processor engaged, the soundfield did spread out, but some people did not like that on some songs/music. Long ago I found that I could listen to my Stax a little longer and/or a little louder without fatigue using the Headroom.

Lastly, a few people got to listen to music through a TDS (True Dimensional Sound) unit which, again IIRC, restores lost harmonics. Impressions here were mostly negative.

Maybe more later...

Hey Laz. Sorry I had to miss the meet. It's great that James was able to set it up.

I suspect your ambience control is a reverse phase pot of some kind.

Users who are viewing this thread