Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #331 of 730
This weekend was a special day for me as I was able to meet Legendary Indian Singer and Music Director - Roop Kumar Rathod.

One of his songs always meant a lot to me personally growing up. Showcasing the RR1 to him was one of my dreams.

I was lucky enough to be invited to his beautiful house in South Bombay where his family was extremely gracious enough to welcome and host us, I also brought along my Mom who naturally has always been a huge fan.

A few RR1s are already in-use in the Indian Music Industry and hopefully more will get into circulation with time which in general is going to be good for Electrostatic Manufacturers.

Mr. Rathod's daughter, who is also an extremely accomplished Singer will be taking the RR1s to LA soon for an upcoming album she is recording and hopefully will be back to use in her Studio after.

20191110_170229_2.jpg 20191110_170003.jpg

20191110_170200.jpg 20191110_171227.jpg

20191110_171538_2.jpg 20191109_104113.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #332 of 730
Greetings everyone

I received my Kaldas bout 3 days ago and what an amazing head phone it is

Compared to my stax l300LE the Kaldas has much more enjoyable sound signature, the details are more natural sounding and more musical. The mids are amazing on the kaldas, and for me if the mids on any headphone needs eq then the headphone is not for me. On kaldas the mids are perfectly placed and are nether thick nor thin, they are perfect and they have great have musicality and details. The mids now on l300LE sound a bit strange to me after hearing the kalads. The highs are really amazing with natural details and never sound harsh and are so enjoyable, definitely, on the l300LE the highs can get sharp and can be a turn off if you want to raise the volume. And now I feel the mids to highs on l300LE is not correct compared to kaldas
Bass on L300LE yes has more punch, but the kaldas is not that far behind, however the tonal balance and signature of the kaldas is way better which makes it a joy to listen to many genres, and yes I listen to everything except classical music.

Compared to my Jade2, well both are musical and natural sounding, but the mids are preferred on the Kaldas, as again something about the musicality of the Kaldas makes it a real unique headphone to listen to compared to others

I am using my 007tii amp, and I reach bout 50% volume to drive the kaldas

For 500 USD the RR1 punches up there with my more expensive planar headphones

Best 500 USD ever spent since I joined head-fi, I will share more impressions later

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #333 of 730
Assuming stock L300 Limited? I like both my modded L300 Limited and the RR1 about the same as they are two very different sounding estats that are good compliments to each other. The L300 being brighter, more exact/precise sounding and more aggressive/punchy (but not fatiguing) with the RR1 being warmer, more solid/fuller sounding with a more laid back nature.

Kind of like pairing a Beyerdynamic DT-177X GO with a Sennheiser HD6XX...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #336 of 730
After having listened to these for a few days, 4-6 hours a day while I work, I have a pretty good handle on what these headphones are about. I powered the headphones on a modest SRM 1 Mk2 that was recently recapped.

The very best headphones I have ever heard (HE1, Orpheus ) are electrostatic. And in the realm of obtainable but kinda of too expensive, the Stax SR007 is one of my all time faves. But headphones are weird things. They never sound totally realistic, but the ability to hear so much detail, be free a crappy room issues, and not piss off neighbors, lovers and make enemies with music blasting, makes them awfully fun and sometime really necessary. So I was really curious about the RR1 to see if I could get some of the magic of electrostats, have a good alternative to my lovely HD800S and make my wife happy by listening to headphones more often.

I will summarize what I think so those of you that have short attention spans/hate long posts/don't care enough about these headphones/have a bad attitude about life etc. can just read a brief comparo and get back to being grumpy.

Pros:
  • Liquid Mids
  • Grain Free electrostaic sound w/o plasticiness sound of some electrostats
  • You can hear the bass
  • Amount of detail w/o the fake treble accentuated detail of some headphones like SR009 and HD800 and no annoying treble peaks
  • Price is 500 USD plus shipping
  • can be driven by a modest electrostatic amp
  • Good if you want an SR007ish sound w/o paying a lot for headphone and amp, and want more bass
  • Really great headstage (way better than any sub 2000 USD planars that I have heard or a HD6XX)
  • Black Background
  • Good weight
  • Build Quality
Cons:
  • Not the last word on texture and layering, it's really good enough just not like the very best
  • Amount of micro detail, while everything is there, it doesn't feel like you can hear as far down into the mix as the very best headphones
  • Since so few headphones run on electrostatic amps, its more of a commitment than just buying a headphone
  • SR007 does things like layering a bit better and probably has a better top end when very expensively amped (since I don't have either a SR007 on hand or an expensive amp you can take this as my stupid arrogant belief that I can remember the SR007 and compare it to the RR1)
  • This headphone sucks if you don't like a slightly dark presentation
  • If you live in Europe like me you have to pay import duty and DHLExpress sucks where I live (it sure isn't express and you have to help them remember to deliver your package)

I tried this headphone on a whole bunch of different genres (example albums)
  • Lana Del Rey Norman ****ing Rockwell
  • Kendrick Lamar To Pimp a Butterfly
  • Billy Elish
  • Grateful Dead Live Dead and American Beauty
  • Rolling Stones Let it Bleed
  • Beatles Abbey Road (recent remaster)
  • Tomeka Reid Quartet Old New
  • Carlos Kleiber Brahms 4th Symphony
  • Miles Davis Kind of Blue
  • John Coltrane Love Supreme
  • Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov Beethoven Sonatas
  • Buddy and Julie Miller Breakdown on 20th Avenue South
  • Dave Holland, Zakir Hussain & Chris Potter Good Hope
  • Diana Krall Turn up the Quiet
  • Isabelle Faust Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
  • All sorts of classical piano music

It's worth noting I mostly listen to speakers. I have Dynaudio Countour 20s in a very small room with a BKelectronic sub (they make parts for REL), primaluna dialog and gungnir multi a1. It is delicately brightish but balanced, no harshness or peakiness. The headphones I listen to the most are HD800S with an icon audio amp. It's a nice combo, but not the absolute best for rocking out. I didn't listen to those until after a few days, just for some comparo purposes and to remind myself why I wanted another pair of headphones. I love a lot of things about the senns, but the rr1 headphones compliment the senns. The RR1's are more allrounders, and especially do Dad Rock (beatles, stones, neil young) better. The senns shine on chamber music and small jazz stuff. The rr1 did really well on big symphomic stuff, I suppose it helps that these days that symphonic stuff is mastered with a mid centric bias cuz old people don't hear highs anyway and it keeps things from getting over saturated.

I am really sensitive to weight, cuz an old woman ran a red light some years ago and I struggled with the effects of whiplash since. So planar magnetic, even if i like the sound (mostly I don't) don't usually work for me.

3 weeks ago I spent a few hours in an amazing shop in amsterdam. I discovered, the Shangri-la and junior kind of suck. The HE1 is amazing. Didn't like the top of the line abyss (weight was unbearable) the raal was ok, actually reallly ok, and a super expensive amped Susvara was one of the best things after HE1s, Orpheus, and maybe a couple others I ever heard. But the susvara seems to need a 10k amp.

What does that have to do with the rr1s? I have heard a bunch of really great stuff recently that totally messed me up for listening to regular headphones. So saying I like the rr1 is a good sign, I would wager.

I think how much you enjoy these headphones will depend as usual on what kind of sound you like. I would describe these the love child of an HD650 (darkish sound, but everything is there, enough bass) crossed with HD800 (gobs of detail (not at hd800 level), headstage (not as wide but realistic and like the hd800 you hear stuff outside your head), pinpoint resolution (probably helped by the very black background)) at a really righteous cost of entry and the grain-free electrostatic sound. They are also comfortable for long hours, although melon heads will have to bend the headband a bit to reduce the clamp.

I think these headphones are hard to beat considering that a modest electrostatic amp can get you into the same general league as the big boys. It’s a unique sound, dark but with enough treble sparkle. If you are used to bright headphones like many stax, grados or hd800, then you’ll need a day or two for your brain to readjust. But once it does the charms of grain free treble, liquid mids, good bass, black background, spectacular headstage and medium price will definitely please.

Thanks for detail review.

RR1 from the review:
-Detail under the level of Hd800s
-Highs not as far as extend
-More bass weigh
-Not as big headstage

Am I reading right?
If it is correct, then RR1 seems similiar to my Ibasso SR1s.
SR1 locate between hd650 and hd800s by its sound properties.
SR1 towards 650 side when open box. Change pad and cable (copper->silver) makes it toward 800s side.

Having 800s and Sr1 for at home listening.
Dont have any e.stat headphones (inear have kse1500 and 1200).
So, does RR1 can bring new flavor or it will be same my current stuff?

Will it much like below sr1 descible:
(SR1)= 80% 800s in clarity, micro detail, speed, highs extend, sound stage, airy, bass texture, but 115% bass weigh, more sphere sound imagine with fuller& silky smooth mid)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #337 of 730
Have not heard SR1 so can't comment on it. But in terms of detail and highs, I personally felt it was in the level of stock Stax sr007 mk2. I have been using the KGSSHV and ADI 2 DAC. More power is beneficial for the RR1 in my experience, as it opens up and gives out a very relaxing sound with almost no compromise on detail. Compared 007 mk1, RR1 falls behind in detail and highs but then again, no high end headphone I've heard including HD800, L500, LCD 4, Lambda Signature comes close to 007 mk1 in that regard. I have been using the RR1 for 6 months now. Serial #2.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #338 of 730

I am happy you found the review helpful.

I also haven't heard the SR 1.

I have a slightly different view of the HD800 from xEcuToR. Although I haven't heard the SR007 in some time. I wouldn't say that the HD800 has less detail. I remember thinking at the time I heard them side-by-side that it had smidge more detail, but that easily could be due to the hot treble of the HD800. The gift of the SR007 lies in the delicacy of the sound, due to it's lack of grain, and the layering of it's soundstage. The RR1 has lots of detail, and a grain free sound that it mostly unique to electrostats, a great soundstage and the bass is really good, more slam than HD800, but not the same degree of texture. In terms of getting a different flavor than what you have, it depends. Honestly speaking an electrostat will be a different flavor, no question about it. But how much that is worth to you considering you will also need a new amplifier, only you can know....

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #341 of 730
Any chance you'll offer the option of real leather earpads on future orders? For an additional cost of course.

No.

Due to the fact that it is the only part that is outsourced and not Manufactured by us. The MOQ requirements are too high for a low volume, niche product like the RR1.

Are the earpads plugged or glued?

No residue adhesive.

Screenshot_20191120-134633_Photos.jpg

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #342 of 730
I'm currently planning to order an RR1 as soon as they become generally available but I realized I should ask, how much ear clearance is there in the cups?

And has anyone tried these and the Aeon Flow Closed/Open?

My ears are just barely too big for the Aeon, they touch the grille inside the cup. If these have more space than the Aeon I should be fine.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #343 of 730
I'm currently planning to order an RR1 as soon as they become generally available but I realized I should ask, how much ear clearance is there in the cups?

And has anyone tried these and the Aeon Flow Closed/Open?

My ears are just barely too big for the Aeon, they touch the grille inside the cup. If these have more space than the Aeon I should be fine.

As far as ear clearance goes way better than an L300 but not quite as good as an L700...they also clamp more than a Sennheiser HD6 series.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #344 of 730
As far as ear clearance goes way better than an L300 but not quite as good as an L700...they also clamp more than a Sennheiser HD6 series.

I had to put L700 pads on my L300 and after that it had enough clearance but only barely. How much of a difference is it from the L700?

Nov 20, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #345 of 730
I had to put L700 pads on my L300 and after that it had enough clearance but only barely. How much of a difference is it from the L700?

I'll try measuring when get home, but I'm guessing probably less than a 1mm difference...my ears just slightly touch in the RR1 while they just don't touch on my L300 Limited with L700 pads and headband. I need to send mine in for reworking a minor issue, but in talking with Aumkar it is possible for spacers from 1-3mm to be used under the pad without adversely affecting the sound. So that should be an option you can inquire about whenever you are able to place an order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back