Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #211 of 728
Well these are very initial impressions, so take it with a big grain of salt L700 is a little sharper, easier to drive and has better sound stage, 3D/Holographic sound (this I believe is due to larger driver and/or my ears more used to the sound of Lambda series). RR1 have a more organic sound signature and to my ears are balanced sounding (more like a planar with little more details on few tracks). Hope this helps. :ksc75smile:

I have read from more than one impressions that RR1 sounds more like a planar. Would you say something like Edition-X? Thanks.

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #212 of 728
Well these are very initial impressions, so take it with a big grain of salt L700 is a little sharper, easier to drive and has better sound stage, 3D/Holographic sound (this I believe is due to larger driver and/or my ears more used to the sound of Lambda series). RR1 have a more organic sound signature and to my ears are balanced sounding (more like a planar with little more details on few tracks). Hope this helps. :ksc75smile:
Wow...that's a lot of praise considering how expensive the l700s are... really interested in the rr1s now

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #213 of 728
I have read from more than one impressions that RR1 sounds more like a planar. Would you say something like Edition-X? Thanks.
Well I didn't get a chance to hear the Edition-X. But I have HiFiMAN HE-560 v3, Sundara and HE-400S, Audeze LCD2 however didn't do a lot of listening to give out more details at this point in time. Would be able to share more impressions/comparisons when get my RR1 back from Aumkar :smile_phones:

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #214 of 728
Well I didn't get a chance to hear the Edition-X. But I have HiFiMAN HE-560 v3, Sundara and HE-400S, Audeze LCD2 however didn't do a lot of listening to give out more details at this point in time. Would be able to share more impressions/comparisons when get my RR1 back from Aumkar :smile_phones:
Wow... would really love to know how does the RR1 stack up against the lcds and Hifimans ...

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #215 of 728
Wow... would really love to know how does the RR1 stack up against the lcds and Hifimans ...
This comparison is going to be tricky!
Usually, when comparing 2 headphones, dynamic drivers and/or planars - you'd use them on the same amp, so at least this very important piece in the sound chain is kept fixed or common.
But, for eStat and planar (or dynamic driver) - one cannot use the same amp! Therefore, @Lord Rexter 's comparison might not be the same as someone else using different amp for the planars.
I know this hobby is very subjective to begin with, but with this specific comparison - even the objective part is compromised!

Just my 2 cents.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #216 of 728
Usually, when comparing 2 headphones, dynamic drivers and/or planars - you'd use them on the same amp, so at least this very important piece in the sound chain is kept fixed or common.
But, for eStat and planar (or dynamic driver) - one cannot use the same amp! Therefore, @Lord Rexter 's comparison might not be the same as someone else using different amp for the planars.
I know this hobby is very subjective to begin with, but with this specific comparison - even the objective part is compromised!

Just my 2 cents.

For most of the planar headphones, yes, the amp would play an important role because the planars are usually less efficient and more difficult to drive. But Edition-X is a very efficient planar headphones. It doesn't take too much to drive the ED-X to sound good (my O2 can drive it well). The other reason I am interested in comparing the ED-X is because it was one of the planars that sound more like the e-stats. At least that's how I used to think of ED-X until I got the real e-stat (Stax 4170, or SR-407 + SRM-006ts). The ED-X has better bass impacts but the SR-407 has better clarity.

So as long as we can keep the source the same and it would be an interesting comparison between RR1 and ED-X. If the RR1 can have the clarity of the SR-407 and the bass slam of the ED-X then it's definitely a big winner.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #217 of 728

Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely true man

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #218 of 728
For most of the planar headphones, yes, the amp would play an important role because the planars are usually less efficient and more difficult to drive. But Edition-X is a very efficient planar headphones. It doesn't take too much to drive the ED-X to sound good (my O2 can drive it well). The other reason I am interested in comparing the ED-X is because it was one of the planars that sound more like the e-stats. At least that's how I used to think of ED-X until I got the real e-stat (Stax 4170, or SR-407 + SRM-006ts). The ED-X has better bass impacts but the SR-407 has better clarity.

So as long as we can keep the source the same and it would be an interesting comparison between RR1 and ED-X. If the RR1 can have the clarity of the SR-407 and the bass slam of the ED-X then it's definitely a big winner.
Yeah..let's see

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #221 of 728
Modern day planars like the Empyrean didn't sound nearly as good as the RR1 did. I had a pair of Emperyan for a month and evetytime I did an A-B test I kept going back to RR1. My ex-girlfriend had the same impression.

What amplifier you use? For the RR1 that made it sound better than modern day planar?

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #225 of 728
Modern day planars like the Empyrean didn't sound nearly as good as the RR1 did. I had a pair of Emperyan for a month and everytime I did an A-B test I kept going back to RR1. My ex-girlfriend had the same impression.
What DAC/Amp for Meze you were using when comparing with RR1? And were you using same DAC connected to KGSSHV as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back