Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #31 of 730
I worked on a design for electrostatic headphones 20 years while I was working at Paul Allen's Interval Research Lab. Our conclusion was that stats are the cheapest way to get high quality sound. The weak link being, of course, low distortion high voltage amplifiers. There is no reason stats have to be expensive. Right now my favorite rig is a set of Spritzer modded Koss stats and Stax Xh... less than a $K for both, so relatively inexpensive. @MrTechAgent when will we be able to buy these?

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #32 of 730
Really attracted to these electrostats. What kind of options can be done - could we specify different coloration of the two-piece cups with different inner and outer coloration? Also, what is the cable connection to the cups, LEMO? And what kind of sound are you going for with the RR 1?

Aesthetically I only have one little nitpick, and it's not the wires actually (I really like that touch - function and form as one). It's actually the cup yoke. I understand it's probably mainly for flowing with the overall design of the cups, but that final too gradual tapering down after the headband just seems like some dead weight that could be removed and improve overall look of the headphone. Personally I would like a more vertical slightly concave tapered outward drop-down edge to it. Basically mostly follow the same shape as on the hinge pivot side going up to the headband but inversed. Would stay consistant with the headphone's design language and would reduce a little more weight at the same time.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #33 of 730
Really attracted to these electrostats. What kind of options can be done - could we specify different coloration of the two-piece cups with different inner and outer coloration? Also, what is the cable connection to the cups, LEMO? And what kind of sound are you going for with the RR 1?

Aesthetically I only have one little nitpick, and it's not the wires actually (I really like that touch - function and form as one). It's actually the cup yoke. I understand it's probably mainly for flowing with the overall design of the cups, but that final too gradual tapering down after the headband just seems like some dead weight that could be removed and improve overall look of the headphone. Personally I would like a more vertical slightly concave tapered outward drop-down edge to it. Basically mostly follow the same shape as on the hinge pivot side going up to the headband but inversed. Would stay consistant with the headphone's design language and would reduce a little more weight at the same time.

Fantastic observation! You are right.

We used a different Yoke on our Photoshoot unit, we had to slightly alter the OD of our housings during the final stage of development for an assembly reason. The older Yokes had a radius to match the older housings hence they look like they are drooped slightly.

We have fixed it, this is the old :

20190218_131523.jpg

New :

20190218_131827.jpg

20190218_132315.jpg

As you can see, it now maintains perfect proportions. The Yoke is solid Aluminium and has no problem in holding the assemblies together. It's rock solid. I wish you could feel it but fantastic observations nonetheless, you have a sharp eye. I was waiting for someone to catch it.

Regarding the customization options, I'd rather not talk right now. I'm working on my website overhaul and all the details will be released with simulations and pictures there. A visual aid is always better.

The termination is a 3-Pin HV Mini-XLR (Dual-Sided) to a 5 Pin PRO-Bias. We will offer 5-Pin plugs for DIY'ers on our website.

Aumkar

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #34 of 730
I worked on a design for electrostatic headphones 20 years while I was working at Paul Allen's Interval Research Lab. Our conclusion was that stats are the cheapest way to get high quality sound. The weak link being, of course, low distortion high voltage amplifiers. There is no reason stats have to be expensive. Right now my favorite rig is a set of Spritzer modded Koss stats and Stax Xh... less than a $K for both, so relatively inexpensive. @MrTechAgent when will we be able to buy these?

Hi,

I don't have a date yet. My Policy is quite simple, we don't do Pre-Orders. I'm against holding money of our Customer's.
We have began a production of the first 100 Units, once we have enough inventory and can sustain a ship-next day Policy, I won't start taking orders before that.

We intend to launch at CanJam SoCal.

* Hello Head-Fi, I won't be able to post further updates, measurements and comparisons until I get an MOT status under my account. There will be a brief period of no activity by me. I hope you understand. There's a lot I want to show but I can't, yet. *

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #35 of 730
I was able to visit MrTechAgent for a brief demo of the RR1 Conquest. Did a listening session of 2-3 hrs with the proto-type and was able to do a 1v1 comparison with 007 MK1 and MK2.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #37 of 730
Initially, I started listening with a Woo GES along with a MBA.

Right off the bat I was able make out that the headphone has good potential, although it was not being driven properly.

Then I started using the KGSSHV along with a Questyle QP1R and started understanding the characteristics of the headphone.

Overall it is a headphone with focus on sub bass and very much similar to 007 mk2 SZ3.

Mids are quite nice. I will say I found it very similar to MK2 with a tad bit of tizzyness in the upper mids.

Highs quite nice as well and it remained quite detailed but lacked the shimmery signature of the 007 mk1.

In terms of Soundstage and Imaging it went toe to toe with both the Omegas and it was difficult to determine which one outperformed which.

With time I tended to like the overall sound signature of the RR1 and it felt that it just might be the most hard hitting sub bass I've heard in an electrostat.

I will still say that I prefer the bass texture of the 007 mk1 due to its harmonic detail but other than that I found myself appreciating the bass of the RR1 over the 007 mk2.

So after 2 hours of testing it with my reference tracks, I was very impressed that this package is being offered at $500. It stood its ground with both the 007s and performing better in some segments, matching in some and understandably falling short in some.

Overall, my Intial impressions made me preferring the RR1 over 007 mk2 in the type of music I listen to. But 007 mk1 still remained my favorite.

After the session was over, I asked MrTechAgent if I could buy them right away. If this had been a retail store, I would have bought them on the spot.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #38 of 730
Initially, I started listening with a Woo GES along with a MBA.

Right off the bat I was able make out that the headphone has good potential, although it was not being driven properly.

Then I started using the KGSSHV along with a Questyle QP1R and started understanding the characteristics of the headphone.

Overall it is a headphone with focus on sub bass and very much similar to 007 mk2 SZ3.

Mids are quite nice. I will say I found it very similar to MK2 with a tad bit of tizzyness in the upper mids.

Highs quite nice as well and it remained quite detailed but lacked the shimmery signature of the 007 mk1.

In terms of Soundstage and Imaging it went toe to toe with both the Omegas and it was difficult to determine which one outperformed which.

With time I tended to like the overall sound signature of the RR1 and it felt that it just might be the most hard hitting sub bass I've heard in an electrostat.

I will still say that I prefer the bass texture of the 007 mk1 due to its harmonic detail but other than that I found myself appreciating the bass of the RR1 over the 007 mk2.

So after 2 hours of testing it with my reference tracks, I was very impressed that this package is being offered at $500. It stood its ground with both the 007s and performing better in some segments, matching in some and understandably falling short in some.

Overall, my Intial impressions made me preferring the RR1 over 007 mk2 in the type of music I listen to. But 007 mk1 still remained my favorite.

After the session was over, I asked MrTechAgent if I could buy them right away. If this had been a retail store, I would have bought them on the spot.

Nice, seems to fit well with my preferred sound profile of a headphone...very much liked a SR-007 MkII I heard on my STAX rig. Incredibly interested in it now... Is is warmer/fuller sounding overall than an SR-007 MKII? Going from memory of the 007 I heard, I believe the SR-404 Limited I just got in is warmer than it and I really like it. Any experience with an SR-404 Limited, SR-L300, or SR-L700/L300 Limited that you could conjecture about how the RR 1 compares (I know the imaging isn't great on the 404 Limited compared to L700/L300 Limited and 007 Mk2)?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #39 of 730
Nice, seems to fit well with my preferred sound profile of a headphone...very much liked a SR-007 MkII I heard on my STAX rig. Incredibly interested in it now... Is is warmer/fuller sounding overall than an SR-007 MKII? Going from memory of the 007 I heard, I believe the SR-404 Limited I just got in is warmer than it and I really like it. Any experience with an SR-404 Limited, SR-L300, or SR-L700/L300 Limited that you could conjecture about how the RR 1 compares (I know the imaging isn't great on the 404 Limited compared to L700/L300 Limited and 007 Mk2)?
Well, I used to have the SR-407. It was my first electrostat experience, so I have to speak from memory. All I can say is Soundstage of Lamdas feel like they are a bit taller vertically and wider depending upon how one positions them. Also, I had used a Spritzer Mod SRM 1 MK2 to drive it not the KGSSHV, so it wouldn't be fair to do a detailed 1v1.

In case of RR1, I feel it does perform well with a Woo Ges, it just needed a DAC as the MBA was not a great source to begin with and no doubt it would have done well with a 353x,(I didn't pair it that day but that's what MrTechAgent said he preferred over Woo GES).

But like I experienced the 009 and 007mk2 at a hifi shop with a 353x paired up with Cayin iDac6, it felt that the pairing had great synergy as when I was throwing Orthos like the LCD X/3, Hifiman Edition X, Ananda they all felt off, veiled and muffled as I went on A-B'ing them. But now if I can go back and put a KGSSHV to the mix, I have no doubt it will be a better sounding system compared to the one I mentioned above and frankly I wouldn't have known the potential of my 007 MK2 if I had not used a KGSSHV.

Overall in terms of power requirement 007 MK2 is the most inefficient of the three, followed jointly by the RR1 and 007 MK1. In terms of reference I can say 009 is more efficient compared to 007 MK2 therfore similar to close to RR1 and MK1.

I hope to get some more head time in the coming months and after same I hope to put down my thoughts in a full review.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #43 of 730
Here are some more Measurements of the Conquest against some Industry Legends -

More Measurements.jpg hh.jpg

As it can be seen, the Conquest has rather impressive bass extension for an Electrostatic, it easily rivals some of the best Isodynamic's low-frequency response.
% THD graphs can be seen on Page 2, those Measurements were taken on our KEMAR.

Some pictures from the party -

20190225_164914.jpg 20190225_172134.jpg

20190225_165713.jpg 20190225_165528.jpg 20190225_165336.jpg 20190225_165259.jpg 20190225_165512.jpg 20190225_165921.jpg

In my next post, I will talk in detail about our in-house Driver and some Novel innovations achieved in the Machining processes of our Electrostatic Transmission elements.

*The RR1 pictured is still our workhorse Prototype. Some imperfections in the paint are inevitable. All production RR1's will come with black cables in a full stealth layout, more info to follow*

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #45 of 730
What's the headphone weight and do you use removable leather earpads? Thank you.

Hi, the Headphone weighs 366g w/o Cable.

20190301_110840.jpg

The Earpads are removable and replaceable, they are attached via an adhesive which leaves no residue. A Magnetic swap system wasn't Engineered to keep the production cost in-check and the price at $500.

Regards,
Aumkar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back