Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #166 of 730
I am speachless, how its beutiful!!!!
10329795.jpg

The lucky owner is me :gs1000smile:
Thank you so much Aumkar aka @MrTechAgent
This picture reveals that.
10329788.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #167 of 730
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your opinion!

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #169 of 730
Just wondering if anybody knows , can these or any Stax pro bias can be used with the older 230v non pro bias amp or adapters If so how bad is the sound going this route.

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #170 of 730
Sure @DenverW, I'm waiting for it to be delivered. Might be able to get to hear it in next couple of weeks :gs1000smile:

Can't wait to compare the RR1 against my STAX Lambda series and 009BK :ksc75smile:

I have a Koss 95x so if you’ve heard one in the past or have one that’s the comparison I’m dying to hear. Especially since they’re both priced at 500.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #171 of 730
I have a Koss 95x so if you’ve heard one in the past or have one that’s the comparison I’m dying to hear. Especially since they’re both priced at 500.
Yes a comparison would be nice. Just remmeber the Koss comes with an energizer, the Kaldas does not. You will need to factor in an amp.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #172 of 730
So true! Luckily I’ve packed away the Koss energizer and I’ve been using a woo audio wee with a Koss to Stax adapter cable.

It works really well...but this is new! :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #173 of 730
Wanted to share this, here's a one-off RR1 we made for a Customer through our Bespoke program.

Some more updates -

1) Our Production is coming along, we will be taking orders through our website in a couple of months, again no date yet.
As mentioned before, it's hard to Manufacture the RR1 so orders on the website will be variable with stock. We will only take your order if we have it in our Inventory.

2) Next month I'm flying to Bangkok to meet with a very special person, a personal Hero of mine and a very important figure in the DIY community. He's an Electrostatic Maestro and he'll be getting his RR1's soon.

Beautiful! They remind me of something out of a James Bond Movie! The Man with the Golden Ears!!! :beerchug: :L3000: :beerchug: :L3000:

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #174 of 730
Yes a comparison would be nice. Just remmeber the Koss comes with an energizer, the Kaldas does not. You will need to factor in an amp.
The common agreement in the Head-Fi community is that in order to fully enjoy the Koss - you need a good eStat amp... so I would say: factor in an amp either way :wink:

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #176 of 730
So true! Luckily I’ve packed away the Koss energizer and I’ve been using a woo audio wee with a Koss to Stax adapter cable.

It works really well...but this is new! :)
Electrostatics is the highest technolegy in headphones world!,
But it have the most expensive price in headphones world.
Koss seccessfolly made a good amp+headphones for cheap price,
but with cheaper materials that made it still good for usage and really fair product.
but much cheaper feeling then any Stax headphones,
and some dissadvantage on sound quality and much cheaper build quality then any Stax amp(energizer)

So, for better sounding you have to spend more money on good amp.

*woo audio wee is a transformare energizer that having the same quality as your speaker amp. not difficulty build (but transformers cost lots of money), but still not worth for independent amp for electrostatic-headphones for price of $ 600.

Compare to RR1, Koss have cheaper features as:
- cheaper headband.
- build in cable.
- short cable (with too long extend cable).
- plasticy light feel.
- ear pads fair quality but not overwhelmed, most prefer to replace them.
- most prefer to buy some Stax or other amp with koss from the begining, better build quality + beter sound quality

I sure that RR1 having less plastic feeling then Stax l300 (most metel parts), and better headband and pads then Koss (like Stax)
and beter design then most of them.

after saw this pictore on DIY forum here I start to understand the dissadvantage of plastic thin headband
10231689.jpg

RR1 using a metal one

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #177 of 730
Electrostatics is the highest technolegy in headphones world!,
But it have the most expensive price in headphones world.
Koss seccessfolly made a good amp+headphones for cheap price,
but with cheaper materials that made it still good for usage and really fair product.
but much cheaper feeling then any Stax headphones,
and some dissadvantage on sound quality and much cheaper build quality then any Stax amp(energizer)

So, for better sounding you have to spend more money on good amp.

*woo audio wee is a transformare energizer that having the same quality as your speaker amp. not difficulty build (but transformers cost lots of money), but still not worth for independent amp for electrostatic-headphones for price of $ 600.

Compare to RR1, Koss have cheaper features as:
- cheaper headband.
- build in cable.
- short cable (with too long extend cable).
- plasticy light feel.
- ear pads fair quality but not overwhelmed, most prefer to replace them.
- most prefer to buy some Stax or other amp with koss from the begining, better build quality + beter sound quality

I sure that RR1 having less plastic feeling then Stax l300 (most metel parts), and better headband and pads then Koss (like Stax)
and beter design then most of them.

after saw this pictore on DIY forum here I start to understand the dissadvantage of plastic thin headband
10231689.jpg

RR1 using a metal one

In fairness to STAX, the premature failure of that Headband might have been due to improper handling by the user.

Plastic or not is irrelevant when it comes to Stress/Strain, the Headband was definitely torqued beyond it's Tensile Modulus.
The thing to worry about any Thermoplastic is Polymer degradation more than anything else.

Although, the RR1 is Spring Steel and billet Aluminium, there is one part which is ABS. It's a bushing to aid the articulation between the Yoke and Main assembly of the Headband and like any Thermoplastic, it will never last a lifetime. Thermoplastics were originally and still are Engineering materials supposed to work in a time frame and replaced after a certain time.

Given that looks like an L300, it's definitely premature failure. I have old Sigmas and Lambdas with original Headbands that haven't cracked.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #179 of 730
Think we’re all in the same boat with that request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back