Kaku finally vindicates UFO believers
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:
Humans fear the unknown and are too hostile for aliens to show themselves at this time.  
frown.gif

http://www.google.com/search?q=quarantine+earth

An interesting idea to say the least...

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #48 of 62
Perhaps Mai Tai is an alien forward scout on a recce mission - Ooops, we're all in deep trouble.
Maybe Uncle Erik can use some persuasive inducemente to make Mai Tai talk - Think of Guantanamo Bay for inspiration, or a saucer of milk.
No, no not a flying saucer, just a regular one......
Hows about it, Unc...???

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #49 of 62

How can you logically deduce that because there are natural elements which are on earth happen to be elsewhere also? Bear also in mind that human genome is of the same elements as every other genome. Even amoebae genome uses the very same elements, so it's not exactly sensible to assume that humans must be special and come directly from space unlike every other member of the terrestrial animal kingdom.

If these elements are there it only means that there are or were the same building materials and conditions that led to the development of these materials as elsewhere, it doesn't mean that they were used for the same construction, and it sure as hell doesn't mean at all we came from there. It just means that earth isn't the only place where elements, that at some point got formed in a sun, do arrive.

I think you missed some sarcasm there.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #50 of 62
The aliens may not even have physical bodies, how about that?

They might not exist in linear time either.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #52 of 62
Yeah I'd like to exist as pure energy someday, that's actually an ancient earthly concept.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #53 of 62

Quote:
I think you missed some sarcasm there. 

You forgot to hit the "sarcasm" button again.

Quote:
Yeah I'd like to exist as pure energy someday, that's actually an ancient earthly concept 

Hook up to any really high voltage supply like those from a power station, and "whammo" total transmutation into the spirit realm except for a few traces of carbon.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #54 of 62
I'm pretty sure Mai Tai is from earth. :)

And she does talk. Or rather, make vocalizations. After living with her, I've come to understand her. She tells me when she's hungry, wants to play, go outside, and needs attention. Other cats do it, too. I had one who was a lot like Mai Tai - Ashley, a gray tabby who simply appeared on the roof one day. Great kitty, but cancer got her a few years ago. Ashley was even weirder; she stuck her head into my shoes after I took them off. She'd look offended if you laughed at her. If Ashley didn't get what she wanted, she literally huffed and puffed before turning her back with tail pointed directly at you. It was hysterical. Mai Tai has a sunnier disposition and is more persistent. Ashley was a lovable grump. If Mai Tai doesn't get what she wants, she won't sulk like Ashley did. Mai Tai will keep trying different angles until you give in. Also, Ashley was particular about who she loved while Mai Tai is a full-out attention whore.

One of my parents' cats makes a certain vocalization the first time she sees you each day - but not at any other time.

Cats really are intelligent little things. I'm glad Mai Tai tells me what she wants. She also comes when called and purrs louder when you tell her that she's a "good girl."

You can't have a conversation, but there's lots of communication. Also, apologies for threadjacking if this devolves into a cat discussion. :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #56 of 62

Quote:
Quote:
grokit said:

What makes you think that humans are from this planet in the first place? I've read that there has been evidence found in the furthest reaches of space of the building blocks of human existence, such as carbon, silicon, sodium, etc. (so it must be true).

How can you logically deduce that because there are natural elements which are on earth happen to be elsewhere also? Bear also in mind that human genome is of the same elements as every other genome. Even amoebae genome uses the very same elements, so it's not exactly sensible to assume that humans must be special and come directly from space unlike every other member of the terrestrial animal kingdom.

If these elements are there it only means that there are or were the same building materials and conditions that led to the development of these materials as elsewhere, it doesn't mean that they were used for the same construction, and it sure as hell doesn't mean at all we came from there. It just means that earth isn't the only place where elements, that at some point got formed in a sun, do arrive.

Elements as building blocks is a far different thing to a structure.
All the pieces that constitute a house being placed on a vacant lot will never turn into a house using natural processes.
Intelligence (and I use the term loosely here) in the form of tradespeople using plans cut and shape the components and then assemble them to make a house.
The DNA is afar more complex system than it's constituent chemicals or compounds.
The problem is that a single cell, to come into existence as a viable machine without external intelligence being applied would not evolve in complexity.
The application of all the different influences that degrade the existence of the proto-cell are far greater than the serendipitous occurences that would cause the proto-cell to increase in complexity and remain functional.
If it did happen once, the second law of thermodynamics would work to reduce it to it's component atoms/elements/chemical compounds.
Some would argue that the second law of thermodynamics only works in a closed system, and the earth is an open system.
The trouble here is that Isaac Newton discovered the second law operating on the earth and it has not been refuted.
It has been calculated (giving extremely generous concessions such as there being as many enzymes as atoms in the universe, and all the enzymes being available exactly when needed) with no detrimental processes (2nd law) present to hinder the process, that for a living 1 celled lifeform to evolve to a 2 celled lifeform was in the order of 2.35 times 10 to the 417th power.
In other words, it ain't gonna happen.
This is assuming the existence of the cell in the first place.
The probability of inanimate life developing into animate life is horrendously greater.

This begs the question: Why try to develop new life from scratch?
THe better way would be to get something that has just died and re-animate it. And yet this still can't be done.

Panspermia doesn't work as the object/spore needs to develop first against horrendous odds, stay inert in a tremendously harsh environment for exceedingly long ages, and re-animate when a more benign environment is encountered.
It takes thousands to billions of years for light to travel over cosmic distances, The speed of comets/ meteors is far slower. And then the probability of landing on a habitable planet is insanely unlikely.
DNA, even in a cryogenic state will only last for a few thousand years before it degrades into unviability.

There are reports of dinosaur dna and marrow being found from fossils that are over 60 million years old.
Carbon dating only works to about half a million years as after that there is not enough C14 left to detect.
The ratio of C12 to C14 is about 2 billion to 1, and each 5.6 thousand years the ratio doubles unless the sample is contaminated by it's environment, which makes the dating invalid.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #57 of 62
When these building blocks become self-assembling (or self-organizing) molecules then we may genuinely have something new in the cosmic crapshoot called Life As We Know It, which is a chaotic and messy thing. The real question is whether our existence is planned by design, or an accidental coincidence that would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate. It sure seems like the more knowledge that we "discover", the less that we know for sure. String theory would be an excellent example of this last statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back