KAEI TAP-1 Portable Hybrid Balance Headphone Amp
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #181 of 336
So I decided to order this sucker to try it out. Gonna be using it purely in desktop mode, just want something a little different from my Topping A30Pro / D30 Pro setup. I had a question for those of you that own it already, can you tell me if the knobs I link are basically the ones on the unit? The one thing I know I wont be able to tolerate is the gold , so if I can just order the black version that would be great. If not any suggestions and or dimensions on the stocker would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Amplif...56386965&sprefix=amp+knobs,aps,53&sr=8-2&th=1

Cheers!

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #182 of 336
So I decided to order this sucker to try it out. Gonna be using it purely in desktop mode, just want something a little different from my Topping A30Pro / D30 Pro setup. I had a question for those of you that own it already, can you tell me if the knobs I link are basically the ones on the unit? The one thing I know I wont be able to tolerate is the gold , so if I can just order the black version that would be great. If not any suggestions and or dimensions on the stocker would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Amplifier-Aluminum-diameter-Amplifiers/dp/B01J7NO5M4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2AVCO9VZG1L4T&keywords=Amp+knobs&qid=1656386965&sprefix=amp+knobs,aps,53&sr=8-2&th=1

Cheers!

Wow you managed to find it lol. It looks exactly the same except the gold color in the Amazon pic looks like they cranked up the green tint in the color temperature.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #184 of 336
Can anyone tell me if the shaft for the knob is circular or "D" shaped? They shipped my Tap-1s today and I need so have replacement options here before it gets here lol
I have always encountered circular knurled shafts instead of D shafts on all of the inexpensive Chi-Fi equipment that I have purchased. Those Amazon knobs do appear to be identical to the knob on the TAP-1 -- right down to 24 ridges on the knob. Hmm...looking at the internal pot, I can all but guarantee that the shaft is not a D shaft.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #185 of 336
I have always encountered circular knurled shafts instead of D shafts on all of the inexpensive Chi-Fi equipment that I have purchased. Those Amazon knobs do appear to be identical to the knob on the TAP-1 -- right down to 24 ridges on the knob. Hmm...looking at the internal pot, I can all but guarantee that the shaft is not a D shaft.
You sir are a king, thank you.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #186 of 336
You sir are a king, thank you.
Hah, and you are welcome! I truly hope that I am right about those Amazon knobs. I am curious about why you don't like the stock knob's gold trim. I like silver or gold trim on knobs so that I can see the knobs in very low light conditions in the evening when I have most of my lights turned off. This can be a bit of a handy thing.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #187 of 336
Hah, and you are welcome! I truly hope that I am right about those Amazon knobs. I am curious about why you don't like the stock knob's gold trim. I like silver or gold trim on knobs so that I can see the knobs in very low light conditions in the evening when I have most of my lights turned off. This can be a bit of a handy thing.
Honestly I've just never liked gold and this will sit next to my PC monitor so I can't imagine it'll ever be that dark. If it had been silver I would have been cool with it. Even if those amazon knobs dont work it was just like $8, it'll be another random thing I can throw into a drawer to prove my wife's theory that Im a hoarder of useless objects.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #188 of 336
Honestly I've just never liked gold and this will sit next to my PC monitor so I can't imagine it'll ever be that dark. If it had been silver I would have been cool with it. Even if those amazon knobs dont work it was just like $8, it'll be another random thing I can throw into a drawer to prove my wife's theory that Im a hoarder of useless objects.
That is a riot! Please tell your wife to dig through your drawer of useless objects to look for interestingly shaped and/or shiny useless objects to toss outdoors for the crows.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #192 of 336
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy TAP-1s to use it as a portable AMP not desktop. How is it as a portable AMP?
Man, it is great like an amp but bulky and heavy as a portable. And if you have the LPS it is heavy like a Burson. Check my review, I think I describe that dilemma in more details there.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #193 of 336
Man, it is great like an amp but bulky and heavy as a portable. And if you have the LPS it is heavy like a Burson. Check my review, I think I describe that dilemma in more details there.
I am very much used to carrying these bulky transportable AMPs (Micro DSD BL, XD-05 Plus).
Just read your review and I want to buy this AMP just to use it as a portable/transportable solution. I recently bought EF400 and TA-26 which completely spoiled me.
I like warmer sound signature a lot and TAP-1s seems to be better option for my headphones HD6XX, LCD2C and Blessing 2.

How is it's performance on battery power?

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #194 of 336
I am very much used to carrying these bulky transportable AMPs (Micro DSD BL, XD-05 Plus).
Just read your review and I want to buy this AMP just to use it as a portable/transportable solution. I recently bought EF400 and TA-26 which completely spoiled me.
I like warmer sound signature a lot and TAP-1s seems to be better option for my headphones HD6XX, LCD2C and Blessing 2.

How is it's performance on battery power?

It's not heavy as a portable, the Micro DSD BL is heavier than the TAP-1 lol
I have both and they complement each other well, the TAP-1 gives more warmth and thickness in the lower mids.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #195 of 336
It's not heavy as a portable, the Micro DSD BL is heavier than the TAP-1 lol
I have both and they complement each other well, the TAP-1 gives more warmth and thickness in the lower mids.
Thanks, I am after that warmth.
Yes, I see it is a little smaller than iDSD BL and almost same size as XD-05 Plus. So, no issues for me to carry it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back