K701 thread
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,281 of 2,619
Hey guys. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of K701s and an amp to go with it. Could I possibly get some sweet-spot recommendations? I'm simply running on PC->Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 (Recording Interface)->Sennheiser HD280s right now. Should I be looking to buy anything else? If so, what? Thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,282 of 2,619
I am a bit surprised that there isn't more diy comments about these 'good ol' boys' especially about amp compatability and the upgrading cables, etc.

I have built one of those diy headamps designed for the k701 headphones (DAO headphone amp on diyAudio) and it is all about current supply - quite an eye opener for a $300 set of cans - there are other headamps on the market that will do the same job but nothing really cheap, unfortunately.

I'm building a Cavalli Bijou headamp mainly for the Beyer dt-880s (250R) &/or the Senn 650s, and am hopeful that the output valves (6N6pi/ECC99) will also drive the 701s okay - bit of 'an ask' but we'll see.

I have rewires my k701s a number of times with multistrand copper, silver, silver/gold but without any doubt that the cryo-ed UPOCC Chimera Wire in Cotton tube is just the right balance of sound to give the bass a bit more 'weight' and add to that midrange 'magic' without making the treble screech - 4 wire system and didn't use the headband spring conductor.

I'm still hoping that the ordered Norse Audio cable will become available but a bit doubtful now.

Perhaps these comments might be useful ..... 

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,283 of 2,619
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of K701s and an amp to go with it. Could I possibly get some sweet-spot recommendations? I'm simply running on PC->Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 (Recording Interface)->Sennheiser HD280s right now. Should I be looking to buy anything else? If so, what? Thanks in advance.

Many people are happy with Matrix M-Stage + k701 combination

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,284 of 2,619
Quote:

The Headroom Micro Amp + K701 has been doing me some sweet justice since I got it 
k701smile.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,285 of 2,619
Quote:

Many people are happy with Matrix M-Stage + k701 combination

Quote:
The Headroom Micro Amp + K701 has been doing me some sweet justice since I got it 
k701smile.gif

Thank you guys. I think I'm liking the Matrix M-Stage from what I've read. Any suggestions on a DAC for the K701s? I'll probably be pairing them with the Matrix from M-Stage unless someone convincingly recommends me something else.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2,286 of 2,619
Quote:

Thank you guys. I think I'm liking the Matrix M-Stage from what I've read. Any suggestions on a DAC for the K701s? I'll probably be pairing them with the Matrix from M-Stage unless someone convincingly recommends me something else.

M-Stage will surely be fine. As for the DAC, have you considered buying a used DAC? I know that Harman Kardon's CD-player HD990 has a marvellous DAC inside. Maybe finding a used HD990 for, say, $200 would be a good solution for you?

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,288 of 2,619
Between the HRT MSII, ODAC and Modi I prefer the Schiit Modi with the K701 variations. It's only $99 and not really a downgrade from the ODAC at all. Sometime i'd like to try the Bifrost.

The Headroom Micro is also one of my favorite amps for the Q701/K702. It's now just as cheap as the M-Stage and made in the USA.

When I had K701/702 I found it to be an upgrade from the Asgard 1 I had. I think it's better than the Magni and E9 too but I haven't heard the M-Stage. The M-Stage uses the same op-amps as the E9 and Headroom Micro (Micro has 7 op-amps for whatever reason).

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,289 of 2,619
Here is an idea for anyone having issues with k70x comfort. I changed the headband of my k701 to a much nicer and more comfortable leather headband of k501. This headband, slides and screws cost me around $30. It took me 15 minutes to install. I think the headphones look quite nice after this change. No bumps

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,290 of 2,619
Quote:
Here is an idea for anyone having issues with k70x comfort. I changed the headband of my k701 to a much nicer and more comfortable leather headband of k501. This headband, slides and screws cost me around $30. It took me 15 minutes to install. I think the headphones look quite nice after this change. No bumps

Hey nice!!....I've actually done a similar thing with mine using a spare bag strap taken from yeah a bag
smile.gif
 and removing
the bums on the original headband.

Also since my earpads is due for a change decided to use the alpha pads from MrSpeakers which is more comfortable
plus an improvement in sq for bass and a less sharper treble(I'm terrible at describing sound). What I did was to reuse the
old plastic retainer and easy as pie to fit it for use. Pics would be better I guess.

The plastic retainer with sponge removed

The alpha pads fitted with the pastic ring

The finish product 
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,291 of 2,619
The K601 headband parts are coming! I'm going to write up instructions on how to remove the headband from the K701 and replace it with another. Keep an eye out in the DIY forum. I know there's one already, but his instructions are confusing. I'll try to keep mine simple and easier to understand.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,293 of 2,619
Coming back to join you guys, just bought another pair (my third set of K70X). Been living with the HD800's for the past 6 months. Mad? Me? Nooooo The K's are going to be my second headphone. For all of the HD800's strengths, the K's mids are in there own league and a nice change. Basically they are very similar hp's only one is a lot drier (this I like for my taste) and the other is a lot more expensive and with it more refined. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,294 of 2,619
Quote:
Coming back to join you guys, just bought another pair (my third set of K70X). Been living with the HD800's for the past 6 months. Mad? Me? Nooooo The K's are going to be my second headphone. For all of the HD800's strengths, the K's mids are in there own league and a nice change. Basically they are very similar hp's only one is a lot drier (this I like for my taste) and the other is a lot more expensive and with it more refined. 

my current K701 are my third set of K70X and probably equal or a close second to my AD2000 for head time.  i prefer a K701 with a 100R impedance dongle to a HD800.  i tried to get the HD800 to sound good in my rigs and others at a recent meet but they're just not my cup of tea.    

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,295 of 2,619
Must say I'm really enjoying these again. My last set of K's were very late serial number and had a narrower sound-stage and were warmer. I don't care if anyone believes me! :D

These were bought second hand and are older and have the classic K sound. The sound stage is enormous and is wider than my HD800's. The sound is also more distant. I'm not going to compare the sound quality as its not fair. But just to say that the K's do have a larger sound stage. Albeit a little overly stretched maybe?

I've been using my recent collection of vintage amps to play with the k's this time round and that has helped me adjust to their unique (and bright) sound sig again. A little boost of bass and a little roll off the treble has helped. I'm slowly weaning myself off the equalisation as I don't like using it too much, but I must say that they have always responded well to a little equalising, better than most hp's anyway. They work well with the high output impedance of these old amps for some reason and there is never any hiss with these compared to the much more sensitive Senn's. 

Yup I do love these phones (again) :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back