K701 thread
Sep 15, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #121 of 2,619
Hmm. I seem to be enjoying K701s less and less - I find these cans neutral and accurate, but I barely listen to them anymore. I guess I'm a colored sound sig man. I think these will be first to go. as well as my TF10s.
frown.gif

I blame Ad2000.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #122 of 2,619
I love my 701s for Jazz, balanced w/ APS V3 through a RSA B-52. I find it to be a very natural sound.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #123 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curse you head-fi! I thought once I got my DT880's I would never need to post again...

But alas, they are not perfect. So... The K701's.

Anyone here have both the K701's and the ER6i or ER4p/s? Do they sound similar, particularly the instrument seperation and detail? What are the mids like on the K701?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

I have both , the 701's and the ER6i's. I listen to the ER6i 98% of the time. They sound so much better out of a rockboxed Ipod with a headsix amp. I am sure the 701's would sound better if I had a $300 dac and a $300 amp, but I don't think the 701's will ever sound as good as the ER6i's do dollar for dollar.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #125 of 2,619
Quote:

Well my K701's arrived. Will probably review in the weekend. Dang they're bloody neutral aint they
biggrin.gif

Awesome. Hope they're close to what your looking for. I'm really enamored with my pair..great with jazz, acoustic, and vocals. The headband is a bit of a pain though, with those little bumps on the underside. I find my MS2i more comfortable by quite a margin! They're definitely a keeper though. Interested in seeing how you compare them to the Beyers. I had a pair of DT880s in my possession a few months back as well but ultimately sided with the K701s. If they're new, give em time to burn in for quite a while, before making any hasty conclusions!

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #126 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. Hope they're close to what your looking for. I'm really enamored with my pair..great with jazz, acoustic, and vocals. The headband is a bit of a pain though, with those little bumps on the underside. I find my MS2i more comfortable by quite a margin! They're definitely a keeper though. Interested in seeing how you compare them to the Beyers. I had a pair of DT880s in my possession a few months back as well but ultimately sided with the K701s. If they're new, give em time to burn in for quite a while, before making any hasty conclusions!

glad you like yours steve!
wink.gif
I barely touched mine since Ad2000....am I being spoiled?

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #127 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah the headband isn't nice... The pads aren't the softest either. So not as comfortable as the DT880's...

That box though... I love the whole 'Discover Perfection' thing. Certainly a good way to hype me up before even listening to them
biggrin.gif

Hmm you think my LD MK II is driving them well enough?

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #128 of 2,619
Quote:

Yeah the headband isn't nice... The pads aren't the softest either. So not as comfortable as the DT880's...

That box though... I love the whole 'Discover Perfection' thing. Certainly a good way to hype me up before even listening to them
biggrin.gif

Hmm you think my LD MK II is driving them well enough?

I think it should be able to drive em pretty adequately. I was using a Corda Move with mine for the longest time and it sounded pretty darn good. Currently, I use a LD MKIII on gain five to drive them and I think it absolutely sings. I haven't had a chance to audition them with higher caliber amps so I can't really comment how much potential I'm missing, but for the moment, I'm entirely satisfied.

^ Red- Haha..I don't know. I've been deliberating on making the AD2000 transition for the longest time myself. Gotta see what all the hype is about!

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #129 of 2,619
Well I have quite different experience with AD2000 and K701. Despite all the good traits that AD2000 had I traded it for APuresound recabled K701 and I'm quite happy that I did it. For me
the midrange coloration killed AD2000 + it's soundstage is somewhat too narrow for my taste.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #130 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both , the 701's and the ER6i's. I listen to the ER6i 98% of the time. They sound so much better out of a rockboxed Ipod with a headsix amp. I am sure the 701's would sound better if I had a $300 dac and a $300 amp, but I don't think the 701's will ever sound as good as the ER6i's do dollar for dollar.

Well, your rockbox is plenty good enough with FLAC, and you don't need a $300 amp, but you do need an amp with enough headroom and current to drive the 701s properly, and the headsix ain't it. I've heard that setup, and they sound flat and lifeless in it, to me.

Dollar for dollar you're likely right, however. Despite that, my K701s have risen to the top of the heap, and they're my preferred dynamics above all others now.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #131 of 2,619
i've been interested in k701 for a few years but have not tried it yet. i think i want to give it a try now, and have a few questions.
1. how are they with rock/metal? i listen to lots of different rock genres. metallica, nightwish, hoobastank, etc.
2. i used to be a semi-basshead but have become a less fan of thumping bass during the past two years. in terms of bass quantity/quality, is k701's bass something similar to altec im716's bass in hd mode? i still love good bass but i didnt mind im716's lean (sometimes non-existant) bass at all.
3. i currently do not have full-sized amps. i only had a pico (which drove hd650, hd600, dt990 very well imo) but sold it for personal reasons, and waiting for a 2move now. will k701 sound like poop when driven by 2move or will i still hear decent sound?
any replies, opinions and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
thanks.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #132 of 2,619
Newest member of team k701 is cantsleep, who I sold my beloved K701s to.

Bit hard by the Stax bug, as I suspect many of you will someday be...

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #133 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been interested in k701 for a few years but have not tried it yet. i think i want to give it a try now, and have a few questions.
1. how are they with rock/metal? i listen to lots of different rock genres. metallica, nightwish, hoobastank, etc.
2. i used to be a semi-basshead but have become a less fan of thumping bass during the past two years. in terms of bass quantity/quality, is k701's bass something similar to altec im716's bass in hd mode? i still love good bass but i didnt mind im716's lean (sometimes non-existant) bass at all.
3. i currently do not have full-sized amps. i only had a pico (which drove hd650, hd600, dt990 very well imo) but sold it for personal reasons, and waiting for a 2move now. will k701 sound like poop when driven by 2move or will i still hear decent sound?
any replies, opinions and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
thanks.

Thought I would repost this question as I am very interested in having it answered as well. K701 Lovers where art thou?

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #134 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

same here, I'm getting rid of K701s for funding ESW10JPN, and I'll be with the stax world very soon.
wink.gif

Still need to recover from vinyl rig purchase....

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #135 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Something special those stats. They have a lot of the qualities as the 701s. Super clear, extremely detailed and fast. I'm thinking of what to sell to keep my 701s/RS-1s and get a baby O/Woo rig. Otherwise the dynamic rig is on notice. How do you guys do without between rigs?

I've tube rolled the SP amp to fit the 701s. I have two driver tubes depending on the music. For delicate music, the Tung-Sol 2c51 makes them almost stat-like. For hard driving music, the Raytheon 6414 or the RCA cleartop 12av7 give the 701 a lively sound. Right now, I'm listening to Yanni with a Telefunken 12av7 and the sounds are magical. Yes indeed, the 701s take time to tweak but will pay off handsomely with the effort.

As for bass, they are very articulate in the low end. They have slam when the music demands it. The synth. effects in prog. rock is full and even. It doesn't take over the soundstage like a lot of basshead hps. It isn't for everyone but coming from stat speakers, the 701 has been a winner for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back