k701, SR 325i, D2000, My Head is going to Explode: Can't Decide
Oct 6, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I have no opportunities to test out any of these headphones because there is no retailers that carry anything of this caliber in my area. I have nothing but the reviews on this website and a few others from google. I currently own the Shure SE530 paired with C&C XO amp, and an iPhone 3G w/ lossless music as my primary source. I have been reading so many reviews from this site for the past year, that I've gone completely mad. I'm utterly confused on what to purchase. Here's my criteria.

1. Max price range is about $350

2. I listen to mainly rock/classic rock/alternative/unplugged/live/electronic, a little r&b, and very little rap.

3. I can't stand muddy bass. I enjoy clear highs and mids, with a good amount of bass that doesn't drown out the other sounds. I also enjoy being able to discover the different types of instruments and sounds that I had never noticed before in my music.

4. EQ on iPhone/iPod blows completely. I frequent the "ROCK" preset on the iPhone 3G however, I wish I could up the treble on that preset just a bit to get it right. If I choose the treble boost preset on the iPhone, it's too trebly and not enough bass. If I turn off the EQ on the iPhone, I am able to hear other sounds that I haven't heard before, which is nice, but the music becomes less emotional/impactful; If that makes any sense at all.

5. I would like the sound stage to be large, I think. I want it be like a concert in/on my head.

6. Portability is not an issue. I just want the best sound for my mula.

I understand everyone's hearing is different, and everyone has their individual tastes. But I need to make a truly informed decision and I don't know what else to do. I also don't understand some of these adjectives people use when describing the sound of head phones (colored, bright, nuetral). I just know that I like the treble a pinch higher than usual (especially for the strums on acoustic guitars), but if it's too high it hurts my ears. Bass is important also, often times If I find the right amount of treble, then there's not enough bass. I want the best of both worlds!

Anyone, Please help! I don't want to blow my money on headphones I will hate. I'm currently considering the AKG K701, Grado SR 325i, and the Denon AH-D2000. Based on my confusing BullShi- research, i'm inclined toward the SR 325i. Mainly for the discovery factor. They seem to have what i'm looking with well defined bass. Please give me your recommendations. Also does anyone recommend a good EQ preset on the iPod for rock music, like NIN, Beatles, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, green day.. etc. I use the rock preset right now, and sometimes the electronic preset. I would like the blend of rock/treble boost preset. Does anyone know which preset would have the closest to this match.

If you know of any other headphones that you think might suit my criteria, please post that also.

Bottom Line, as unsavory as this sounds, I want to experience an ear-gasim!

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 27
I would probably go for the grados with rock. I dont believe you will like the bass for electronic with the k701s, especially out of the portable amp. Grados are supposed to be The rock headphones.

However the k701 has a rediculously large soundstage and is very smooth with acoustic music. The amp issue arises again though.

Dave

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 27
and for heavens sake, stop using the ipods eq! it adds too much clipping. just leave it off. With your current amp, I wouldn't suggest hard to drive cans like the k701. The denon d2000s might do ok as well as the grado sr325i. You might also want to try the sennheiser hd600s as well

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 27
i was in the exact position as you. i couldn't decide between those 3 headphones. i was able to auditon the k701 and the grados ranging from sr60-rs1's--except for the 325's(sold out). i never tried the denons so i cant comment on them. i love my 701's, they sound great, but not as great as the grados when it comes to rock. if i was you, i would completely and fully go for the grado's! its very frustrating choosing, but you cant go wrong with either. just buy one and you wont regret it!

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 27
Your whole post says Grado except for the soundstage part. Grados are genre-specific. I have MS-1s (like Grados except a bit more neutral) and while I love the way they engage me in fast music, I always end up putting on my AD700s since the soundstage is so awesome. It's even better on the D2000s.

If you can live with the limited soundstage, the Grados are the way to go. Rock/acoustic are where they really shine. The D2000 is a better headphone for listening to a variety of genres.

Also, not sure if you saw the sticky but there's a dictionary of all the terms like "bright":
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
and for heavens sake, stop using the ipods eq! it adds too much clipping. just leave it off.

If you use MP3Gain and normalize your music to 89.0 db, you shouldn't have any clipping while using the iPod's rock EQ setting.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 27
I have been a K701 user for quite awhile now and loved them deeply, I bought the D2000's two days ago and now the K701's are for sale. I didn't expect to like them this much and I haven't even modded and recabled them yet. I can't imagine it sounding any better.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 27
The stage on Grados is very small, however it is what I would call "accurate". Binaural recordings sound more realistic on Grados than they do 880s, believe it or not.

The 325i has your bass requirement covered. They have great bass impact, and absolutely no bass boominess to speak of.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you use MP3Gain and normalize your music to 89.0 db, you shouldn't have any clipping while using the iPod's rock EQ setting.

It is such a hassle to do that to say 80 gigs worth of music. Besides that, 89db is too low to enjoy on an ipod IMO
biggrin.gif

I'd rather have great cans and forget eq
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 27
Decisons, decisions. In the best of all worlds, you'd just buy the 3 headphones that you list and call it a day. I have a pair of AKG 701's and a pair of Grado 325i's. I adore them both, but I love the Grado 325i more for its ability to rock. I like the AKG 701's for jazz and classical, but the Grado 325i's for metal, punk, and rock 'n' roll. I guess that if I had to pick, I'd run with the Grado's. I'd get the 325i's now and in a year or two maybe score a pair of AkG 701's.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a K701 user for quite awhile now and loved them deeply, I bought the D2000's two days ago and now the K701's are for sale. I didn't expect to like them this much and I haven't even modded and recabled them yet. I can't imagine it sounding any better.

Funny the opposite happened to me
k701smile.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 27
That's funny because I have both right now and I can't decide =(. The k701s and the d2ks sound nothing alike but they're awesome in their respective areas.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no opportunities to test out any of these headphones because there is no retailers that carry anything of this caliber in my area.

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised a little poking around couldn't find any retailors or audio houses that have stock since I see you're in Orlando, and I assume it's the "Orlando" in Florida, right?

Then again, I've never been there and live in a really large metro area so I may be niave to expect the same availability there as here.

Quote:

Anyone, Please help!

O.K., I will!

Quote:

I'm currently considering the AKG K701, Grado SR 325i, and the Denon AH-D2000.

All good choices, and if you scope out my sig, you'll see I agree!
tongue.gif

[Alright, I kept the SR225's and returned the SR325i's after they didn't meet my comfort requirements - But essentially, I own the three can varieties you're interested in; SR225 and SR325i are very similar in the larger context of what you're attempting to accomplish here]

Quote:

Based on my confusing BullShi- research, i'm inclined toward the SR 325i.

From your artist list I would tend to agree. However, Grados are somewhat polarizing in people's opinion, as I'm sure you gleaned from here over the last year, and the other two cans have highly redeeming, but different qualities, too. You'd possibly like all three depending on your mood and current playlist of the moment, which is why I have all three in my fleet.

Quote:

Bottom Line, as unsavory as this sounds, I want to experience an ear-gasim!

Hey, that's what we're all here for, and shelling out signifigant coin for the experience, too.

+++

O.K., here's the deal: All three of your cans are available from large reputable houses that ship nationwide, are priced very well, have 30 day return priviliges w/o any RMA fees, and one even pays free round-trip shipping.

So it'll cost you the slow-boat (ground) shipping fees on two sets of cans to get all three in-house (~20 bux) so you can live with them in your normal listening environment and make the right decision for you. Actually, since you're going to buy at least one set of cans (incl shipping) anyway, the actual x-tra cost out-of-pocket for the privilige is ~10 bux.

Fire me off a PM if interested and I'll hook you up with the sources I used.

But be forwarned: These ar all excellent cans, and once you get them in-house it's very hard to part with them (as you can see in my sig).
wink.gif

Otherwise, post here if you have any more questions on the cans on your list, since I own(ed) all three, and I'll try to give my best opinion whenever I'm around (sometimes sporadically).

Good Luck!
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back