K701 replacement...
May 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
So I want more. MORE AND MORE. I have gone crazy with my K701s and did a recable.... 8 times using different geometries, metals, and gauges... tried single entry and dual entry. I tested out the Sony field-speakers at a Fry's and loved the soundstage, but the bass fell a little short and wasn't as responsive as I'd like (possibly would sound better with my LD MKIII?), and it made me want to get something new.

I love the soundstage of my k701s, and would like it to be even bigger. I love how my recable (final: 18guage loose french-braid copper) DRAMATICALLY increased the bass...the thumping sound just isn't complete, even though it's so much better. It's like drinking and getting a buzz....and running out of alcohol...
frown.gif
. I've thought about stax, but I don't think that'd approve my wants in bass, and I've thought about maybe some senns hd800s, but I need to test/hear more about them before I drop 1400 on them.

Any recommendations? Preferably under $2,000.

May 2, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons are bass monster.

If you want bass, get a pair of Bose. >:]

Yeah that's what I hear, but soundstage generally does not equal closed-headphones, is there a model that may have a comparable soundstage? And a big N-O on the Bose.

May 2, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 37
Please post your aftermarket company for copper braids, I'm just looking for that last ounce of bass. Yes, I too know it's there in the k-701s. The Bose on ear do have manufactured extra bass. They are ok but lack all the soundstage of the k-701s. You will like the bass in stuff like movie soundtracks but they are kind of dull in soundstage to the k-701s. Would like to hear hd800 to see what all the fuss is about, I really do have other stuff to drop $1400.00 on. If the price were to drop to $999.00 I'd wake-up and become a player for em.

May 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please post your aftermarket company for copper braids, I'm just looking for that last ounce of bass. Yes, I too know it's there in the k-701s. The Bose on ear do have manufactured extra bass. They are ok but lack all the soundstage of the k-701s. You will like the bass in stuff like movie soundtracks but they are kind of dull in soundstage to the k-701s. Would like to hear hd800 to see what all the fuss is about, I really do have other stuff to drop $1400.00 on. If the price were to drop to $999.00 I'd wake-up and become a player for em.

Protip: I tried many styles of copper and silver (even plated) cable, and strand count had very little to do with the sound, honestly I could do a litz braid and compare it to the exact same cable with a french braid, or a twist... and alter the sound so severely, sometimes ruining the sound completely (silver-plate with litz), or making it WAY too bass-heave and killing the highs (16 guage twist). However, the 18 and 22 gauge twist was IMMACULATE to my ears- increased soundstage over AKG cable by probably 300%, and tripled the thumping DEEP growling bass, and is what I would recommend. I had a NON-AUDIOPHILE with great hearing do a double-blind and she was correct 100% of the time. I'm willing to bet I'll make a lot of smirks at the next meet. Anyway, used generic 8 strand OF copper.... everything else is snake oil from my real-world hands on experience with side by side comparison with not only the cables themselves, but with another pair of 701s. If I remember right, I just bought the cable at walmart or something.... if only I could melt this teflon-coated silver cable and sell it for gas :frowning2:.

Also on the other comments, I'm not wanting a headphone that compares to what I'm using...or else I'd just keep using these. I want something that will go good in my collection, and that I will feel like it's a worthy upgrade, not a replacement. Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming!
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 37
The K701 is already one the best of what it does, it's not going to be easy to find an upgrade. I haven't tried them but most people will recommend the Staxs as a K701 upgrade, but I am not sure if their bass response is better. You can also try the SA5000, not exactly an upgrade but a possible alternative.

May 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax Omega? Shop selling Stax sr-007A (007MK2) EarSpeakers - not the worst price for new ones. But probably a little bit different from K 701, nevertheless the bass should be sufficient.

Or, optionally, K1000 with subwoofer.

That's a lot more like it! I've been considering the omegas, but wasn't sure how the bass was on them, I suppose I need to go and read some reviews on them now. The K1000s would be way awesome for me, but I can't seem to find any place to score a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back