K701 reactions - yes, more reactions
Mar 18, 2006 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
My K701s arrived in the mail today, and I had a quick chance to compare them with my DT880s.

- Clearly more expansive - greater feeling of air
- Greater articulation, especially in the mid-trebles, which sound remarkably clear and seductive
- On pop tracks I had a greater sense of punchiness, almost as if tracks had an extra bounce. Part of this was due to the nice way it handles percussion, especially the quick attack.
- Slightly loose on the bass right now, though I imagine this will work itself out on burn-in
- A nice "creaminess" on many pop tracks - an adjective I've uaed to describe the UM2 tone, though there's clearly more balance here

I like them, though they do have much in common with the DT880s. I'd have to say the sound is more "streamlined," as opposed to the smoky lows and brilliant highs of the DT880. They're both great.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 6
How do these cans handle metal? Like Metallica, Megadeth, etc. If the K7601 does well with that I think I am set on getting a pair myself. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

How do these cans handle metal? Like Metallica, Megadeth, etc. If the K7601 does well with that I think I am set on getting a pair myself. Thanks.

The only "metal" I have is the painfully retro Girlschool, but from my experience with punkish tunes, the bass will have to tighten up a bit before metal can be handled efficiently. At only a few hours playing time (several hundred hours less than the recommended), you'll have to wait a bit. What I have noticed is that it has the DT880s nice trick of holding something back so you have to meet the music half way; I think it's the "air" in the sound, and makes for a more involved and exciting music experience.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I like them, though they do have much in common with the DT880s. I'd have to say the sound is more "streamlined," as opposed to the smoky lows and brilliant highs of the DT880. They're both great.

Thanks for the info... I don't see myself giving up the DT880s either in favor of K701 (if I ever get a pair), more like enjoying the advantages of both. It does sound like the K701 has a "safer" or tamer sound, which might in fact make them less satisfying to me than DT880s.

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 6
Yall are going to break my wallet around here lol! Nah, i'll wait on those. Let me get my DT 880's and amp first. Then i'll work on the SR 325i's, and then maybe the K701's or RS-1's lol.

I might go out and buy some SR-60's or SR-80's this weekend pending I like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back