K701 owners.
Apr 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Clarity

100+ Head-Fier
How well do these cans do rock. All my cans are Grados and I'm itching to try something different. I think the K701s are for me based on reading some reviews. I just want to know how well they do with rock since it makes up about 60%-70% of what I listen too. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
How well do these cans do rock. All my cans are Grados and I'm itching to try something different. I think the K701s are for me based on reading some reviews. I just want to know how well they do with rock since it makes up about 60%-70% of what I listen too. Thanks
biggrin.gif

All I've been doing for now is running my 701's out of my Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard's headphone jack, set to Game mode, with maybe 2 points of bass boost added for laughs, and about 50 hours of use into them...they handle ALL music just great!

I can't wait to see what a quality headphone amp is going to do for me, connected to my universal player, if they already sound this good!

IMHO, they're definitely worth you taking a test spin with. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

In fact, I'll bet you keep them.
701smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 21
TooNice thanks for the link, don't know how I missed it during my search
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks Frank
biggrin.gif
The reason I ask is, since I'm still new to the hobby, I've yet to hear a set of cans with a large soundstage. From what I've been reading the K701 has a HUGE soundstage. If RS1s put you right on the stage with the artists how far back would you say the K701s are?

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
All I've been doing for now is running my 701's out of my Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard's headphone jack, set to Game mode, with maybe 2 points of bass boost added for laughs, and about 50 hours of use into them...they handle ALL music just great!

I can't wait to see what a quality headphone amp is going to do for me, connected to my universal player, if they already sound this good!

IMHO, they're definitely worth you taking a test spin with. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

In fact, I'll bet you keep them.
701smile.gif

If you're using Game mode then you probably have CMSS3D enabled. I find that CMSS3D, although great for games, distorts music too much
frown.gif
. Even the 24-bit crystalizer sounds a bit iffy when combined with lossless music.

Edit: changed CMMS3D to CMSS3D

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 21
I don't have a beefy amp, but the 701's do all music fine - even rock; but as it was said before, they're no Grado. Let's put it this way, as a K701 and SR225 owner, I find myself listening to each phone a great deal. The 701 has amazing soundstage for a person coming from Grados and closed cans, as I did. The tradeoff is the loss of real up front kick. Worth a try first, for sure.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
Thanks Frank
biggrin.gif
The reason I ask is, since I'm still new to the hobby, I've yet to hear a set of cans with a large soundstage. From what I've been reading the K701 has a HUGE soundstage. If RS1s put you right on the stage with the artists how far back would you say the K701s are?

No prob
biggrin.gif
, and your right, they do have a wider soundstage then the Grados, although the RS-1 gives some decent space to the music, the K701s are even wider!!

I'm not sure how that Hornet sounds, but if its anything like the SR-71, you will love the K701s sound!
K701smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 21
I love rock with 'em.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
No prob
biggrin.gif
, and your right, they do have a wider soundstage then the Grados, although the RS-1 gives some decent space to the music, the K701s are even wider!!

I'm not sure how that Hornet sounds, but if its anything like the SR-71, you will love the K701s sound!
K701smile.gif

Frank I actually have a PPX slam being built as we speak
biggrin.gif
I just placed an order for the K701.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 21
Mine now have 190 hours on them. I check the sound every day or two. It's getting harder and harder to take them off.
Checking them out on Aerosmith (Pump) and Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here) as I type. I find the presentation more than pleasing.
Width of soundstage is fantastic. They are just starting to get some breadth and height. Bass is developing quite nicely.
Short answer.......I love them for rock!
This comes from someone that also loves the Grado house sound.
Best,
Jim

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 21
Thanks everyone, I think we can all come to the conclusion that the K701 ROCKS with rock.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back