K701 or DT880 with LD MkIII
Nov 2, 2008 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
Which of these phones would get the most out of the little dot. I have heard and read differing opinions on older threads. I favor the AKG sound, but the AKGs are low impedance low sensitivity, so I am worried that the mk III won't deliver enough current to carry them adequately. This IS NOT a question of preference, specifically, but I question of which phone can reach closer to its full potential with the little dot.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Any particular reason? Have you heard both of them amped with similar tube amps?

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 11
If it is 250 Ohm version of DT 880, the K 701 might be better. But, generally both are great headphones and it is up to you to decide.

Both are hard to drive regardless of the K 701's low impedance, which is a bit tricky. That is why MKIII is proper for both of these.

Ash

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 11
I also like the AKG sound very much, but I was distinctly underimpressed with the K701 and a tube amp (also with a solid amp for that matter). If I had to choose, I'd go with the dt880s.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 11
I absolutely hated the DT880 + LD MKIII combo. It was terrible. The DT880's midbass boom becomes completely unruly. It is like the opposite of synergy. Its like the MKIII and the DT880 were at war. The K701 + LDMKIII combo is/was much better to my ears.

IMHO the DT880 sounds much better out of a solid state. I'm not much of a fan of the DT880 so take it for what its worth.

IMO you should get the AKG K701 and a pair of the Mullard 8100 or Tung Sol tubes. Then set the gain to +5. You will be all set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 11
How bout some 650s with your tube amp? Sound like a match made in heaven to me. If you like a brighter sound like the 701s deliver, then all you need is to find the proper tubes. Whatever you do stick with a high impedance headphone for that particular amp.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the DT880 and the ASL OTL SET amp MKIII. I use the OTL mode, it was like ciphercomplete said terrible at first when I got it second hand. It was with old RCA Driver tube and NOS Sylvania 12ax7. I changed it to some JJ driver, and a reissue mullard. MAN it's bass is so tight now, and the tone are still sweet, it is very balance. Both tubes are new issues (but of course the Trafomatic beat it easily, driving the DT880 to its edge, and I'm getting another AKG maybe for some sparkles).

The point is you have to get some seriously good tubes if you're using a darker OTL amp for the bass and the transiency. And for the bang of bucks, new issues are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back