K701 mod for a guy with a big head?
Jun 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 37
One thing you might try is to leave them on a stand or even hanging over a tall book for a while. I found that the rubber band "Relaxes" a bit over time, it still pulls the headband up when I remove them but it doesn't try to pull them up when I'm wearing them.
Also the leather headband might also need time to adapt to the shape of your head.
I'm one of the "Big Head" group but I haven't had any trouble with my K701s. I think this might be because they were 3rd hand when I got them. Broken in sound, Broken in fit.
I would give them a chance before performing any surgery.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 37
Ill take your advice for now. I've been "shape burning" them for almost a week now, meaning I'm putting them on their box with added accessories to strech them. They're on my head, or on my manufactured head all day long.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/members/nadavnaz-albums-my-setup.html

I reckon I should give it more time... I doubt the difference will be significant though, but I'll give it one whole month of headshape burnin.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #20 of 37
Have you tried to put a hard bend in the leather? Do this as a temporary fit to see if it helps. A c-clamp with a piece of wood on either side to clamp down the center bump for a while will loosen some of the stiffness of the bump. I then used leather oil and folded the leather to crease the middle bump, parallel to the skull ridge. Hold it there with a c-clamp or similar for a couple days.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I don't have a prominent skull ridge. My skull is fairly smooth toward the front and I have no problems. The farther back begins to feel the pressure. Could it be that those with a more prominent ridge have problems with the band? If so, move the band to a less prominent area of the skull which is usually on the soft spot forward.

What size are your hats?

Also, has anybody contacted AKG to get their take on this?

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 37
A hard bend in the leather might be a good idea, though I didn't exactly get your method.

Could you re elaborate? Perhaps upload some pictures on how you bended yours?

I sent AKG a mail, no response was received.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 37
Just pull the two sides until it bends at the middle then squeeze tight. The crease will be going from front to back, you can clamp it to stay tight.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My solution was to remove the upper restraining clips on each side and refit zip ties to ensure a minimum open width. I did it five minutes after unboxing my K701.

Sample pictures:

Lucky, if I may ask again...
How did you remove the braces? What did you use to do it?
I sent you a pm as well.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The inner transparent pieces on mine broke and things become very comfortable as a result.

ah really? umm...

LUCKY, can't you just tell me how you removed the upper brace?

And sleepyone... How more comfortable did it get? in what way?...

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 37
No pull any more, the band is much more flixable and can go right near the top (length wise, not just one point). There is couple catches though, there is more movement to the phone (front and back), so less stable. So you may need to move the pads a little to get the sweet spot. Also as there is now just one piece of plastic holding the cup so probably means lower lifespan...

Maybe try losen the leather band first before any modding; flex the band often to soften it to see whether things improves first.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #27 of 37
well I did the zip tie mod, the one where you just attach the lower bracket to the upper one permanently and it stops the pressure on my big head.

Pretty much helped, still not as good as it gets though.

Lucky, HOW did you remove the upper bracket on your previous k701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back