K701/DV332 left-channel buzz, not ground loop...
Aug 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Peete, I haven't noticed any of those effects with these tubes; the channel that doesn't have the bad tube is dead-silent when there's nothing playing. But hopefully I'll fare just as well with the new tubes. The amp is located on the very top shelf of my desk hutch which I did so that I don't spill anything on it, and it should have plenty of space to ventilate.

Glad I made a good choice with the tubes, I had read a bit about the tubes and M8100 kept being mentioned.
biggrin.gif
Speaking of tubes being finite, how often should I be replacing them? I tend to leave my amp on 24/7, not sure if that's a bad idea... I just do it because I know tube amps take about a half-hour to warm up and I never know when I want to start listening.

Heya, I'm glad it was just a bad tube, such a simple and beneficial fix.
wink.gif

I haven't been using tubes long enough to have one go bad yet but I've read that when they are starting to go it manifests itself as drastically degraded sound quality.

Personally I wouldn't recommend leaving the amp on 24/7, it's burning excess tube life and the significant amount of heat generated can reduce the life of components inside the amp and also pose a fire hazard. I turn mine on when I get home from work and off before bed. If for some reason my 332 is off and I want to listen it only takes a few min to warm it up. Just try to avoid switching it on and off frequently.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I wouldn't recommend leaving the amp on 24/7, it's burning excess tube life and the significant amount of heat generated can reduce the life of components inside the amp and also pose a fire hazard. I turn mine on when I get home from work and off before bed. If for some reason my 332 is off and I want to listen it only takes a few min to warm it up. Just try to avoid switching it on and off frequently.

x2. : )

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Peete, I haven't noticed any of those effects with these tubes; the channel that doesn't have the bad tube is dead-silent when there's nothing playing. But hopefully I'll fare just as well with the new tubes. The amp is located on the very top shelf of my desk hutch which I did so that I don't spill anything on it, and it should have plenty of space to ventilate.

Glad I made a good choice with the tubes, I had read a bit about the tubes and M8100 kept being mentioned.
biggrin.gif
Speaking of tubes being finite, how often should I be replacing them? I tend to leave my amp on 24/7, not sure if that's a bad idea... I just do it because I know tube amps take about a half-hour to warm up and I never know when I want to start listening.

Your Welcome Jungleman !!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd get into the habit of turning off your amp when not in use. You'll burn up tubes at a very quick rate leaving the amp on 24/7. An SS amp you can do that...but a tube amp ? Try to turn it off. That way those Mullards will last a lot longer and you don't run the chance of a destroyed amp if a tube goes bad while your not around to shut if off immediately. If your not around and a power tube goes south, the damage could be anything from a cooked grid resistor to a fried output transformer or worse yet, a fire.

For safeties sake, both your amp and yours...turn it off. Plus you'll save some $$$ on your electricity bill
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #19 of 22
Glad your problem is now solved, JungleMan.

I have a simple question for you.
regular_smile .gif

How is synergy between 701 and 332?
I heard many people said 701's were way too bright with DV332, and not many people match them together.

What's your impressions of this set-up?

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 22
PrTv: My impressions are positive, then again, I don't have much to compare it to as I've never had a pair of cans even close to being as good as the K701. They ARE bright, I will tell you that, some people like it and some don't... I happen to be someone that does. One of the first things I noticed about these phones after listening to my HD280 for so long is the attack/decay and how quick it is... some people might describe this as "punchy".

Where this amp (with the stock tubes) really went a long way in helping the K701 was in the low-end-- it is tough to drive them and I was running them straight off my Audigy for a little while. The DV adds a lot more fullness and warmth to the low end, and the K701 will never be bass monsters but it definitely helped out there too (and once again... some people crave a lot of bass and others don't, I am personally someone who doesn't)

I've heard of a fair number of people pairing the two together, but I know the HD650 is a more common choice with this amp. I'd love to try out a pair someday but my experience with Sennheiser products hasn't been so great, so not now...

Also: Thanks for the advice-- I will get into the habit of turning it off when I go to bed at night or will be away from the apartment for several hours.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #22 of 22
Sounds like the upgrade/fix has had the desired effect.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back