k701, dt880, or stax?
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

eruditass

Previously known as DoomzDayz
As can be seen in my sig, I've never had phones with good soundstage. I want to know what it is all about, although I'm not sure if it will be for me because I love the details of IEMs.

other needs:
-neutral
-natural
-detailed, high resolution
-transparent/good transients with great sounding drums
-prat
-would like it to be closed but is not a necessity if it really does limit the soundstage and other needs

music:
-everything, although i suppose i have my other cans for rock, i'd like a good all around-er with soundstage for orchestras, black metal(i've heard there is good atmosphere to be heard), post rock, etc.

what i've been thinking of:
-hd580 with hd600 grills(where do i get the grills?)
-akg601/701, ad900, a900, dt880, PL750/2500 if i can find them used

these would be paired with either a CK-K3 amp or SOHA amp with a GE 6680 tube and maybe jisbos. i'll probably make another post about the amp. source: laptop with alien dac.

other than that i've heard really really great things about STAX (IEM + soundstage??) and maybe i can forgo the dynamic amp and get a combo for < $400?

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 50
to me the best cans you can buy for that kind of money is the 880, it's a cans good for all kinds of music and has a quite good soundstage too. I'm sure if you'll buy it you won't regret your choice

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by marillion64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to me the best cans you can buy for that kind of money is the 880, it's a cans good for all kinds of music and has a quite good soundstage too. I'm sure if you'll buy it you won't regret your choice

Agree with this. I've listened to the Sennheisers HD600/650 and never liked their soundstage. I thought it was funky. The DT880s on the other hand deserve a thumbs up in that respect.

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 50
that looks like a good idea, then i can pair it with the less expensive hybrid SOHA amp. dt880 was always a consideration of mine as i've heard the highs are amazing, though sennheisers intrigued me. also i fear that the dt880's highs may just make my high freq hearing go down faster along with age :x

are there any stores in the balt/dc area that i can test these things out at? guitar world?

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 50
If you can locate one...check out the Sony MDR-CD1700.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 50
For sound (head) stage, I love Senn HD580 / HD600 but you might also consider Sony F1. It's like Senn + K1000...it's completely open and it's probably THE most comfortable headphone on the planet.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 50
Vote for the K701s here.

But most options here are pretty good ones as well. Though from what I've heard the 600-650 senns color the sound and might not be neutral enough for your liking.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 50
Don´t know what would beat the proline 750 in this department since you preferr closed
smily_headphones1.gif

2500 will have a more open soundstage of course but the 750 has a really good soundstage for closed cans and I feel they are quite neutral, extremely detailed and great for drums

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 50
Just my 2 cents. Never understood how people try to choose a headphones with their weakest area(soundstage) as criteria. If you need soundstage, go into speakers. Headphones just don't have it...(Yes, 701 too, it's a kid's play, not a real soundstage) Headphones got so many exclusive advantages...and you trying to select a pair with biggest cans' disadvantage in mind. I just can't understand it.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As can be seen in my sig, I've never had phones with good soundstage. I want to know what it is all about, although I'm not sure if it will be for me because I love the details of IEMs.

other needs:
-neutral
-natural
-detailed, high resolution
-transparent/good transients with great sounding drums
-prat
-would like it to be closed but is not a necessity if it really does limit the soundstage and other needs

music:
-everything, although i suppose i have my other cans for rock, i'd like a good all around-er with soundstage for orchestras, black metal(i've heard there is good atmosphere to be heard), post rock, etc.

what i've been thinking of:
-hd580 with hd600 grills(where do i get the grills?)
-akg601/701, ad900, a900, dt880, PL750/2500 if i can find them used

these would be paired with either a CK-K3 amp or SOHA amp with a GE 6680 tube and maybe jisbos. i'll probably make another post about the amp. source: laptop with alien dac.

other than that i've heard really really great things about STAX (IEM + soundstage??) and maybe i can forgo the dynamic amp and get a combo for < $400?

Best would be entry level Stax.. For Dynamic cans..
The 880
All have a spacious soundstage IMO.. for the price..

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my 2 cents. Never understood how people try to choose a headphones with their weakest area(soundstage) as criteria. If you need soundstage, go into speakers. Headphones just don't have it...(Yes, 701 too, it's a kid's play, not a real soundstage) Headphones got so many exclusive advantages...and you trying to select a pair with biggest cans' disadvantage in mind. I just can't understand it.

Because I don't have 10 grand to throw around on a 5.1 speaker system, that would need to be a level above my headphone rig..SQ wise..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back