k701, dt880, or stax?
Jan 8, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-303 and SR-404 sound very similar, under normal listening circumstances it would be very hard to tell the difference. So I am not sure how you can say "latter two are out of my interest".

Not for me. I perceive the SR-202 and the SR-303 as similar while the SR-404 being significantly better - cleaner, more resolving and engaging. In other words, I see no reason to make any trade-offs when buying electrostats but go for the best when I afford it and need it. There is a lot of imperfect dynamic headphones and much bigger choice of suitable amps.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not for me. I perceive the SR-202 and the SR-303 as similar while the SR-404 being significantly better - cleaner, more resolving and engaging. In other words, I see no reason to make any trade-offs when buying electrostats but go for the best when I afford it and need it. There is a lot of imperfect dynamic headphones and much bigger choice of suitable amps.

I think you are the first one who "perceives" SR-303 more similar to SR-202 than SR-404. Do you realize that the only difference between SR-303 and SR-404 is cable? SR-202 actually has a different driver element in addition to different cable. Overall differenced between Lambda models are subtable but SR-303 most definitely sounds very similar to SR-404. I suggest you give them another listen. By the way where you using different amps with 303, 202 and 404?

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way where you using different amps with 303, 202 and 404?

No, after short listening on the SR-404 I chose the SRM-727A from 4 available as the reference drive for the headphones. I'm not expecting to audition the Stax headphones any soon because of the distance to the dealer and no reason to do this at this moment.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #49 of 50
I realize this may just confuse you more but if you're really looking for that big concert hall spacious sound I would definitely check out some Grado's granted they are open but they do sound extremely "open". It's a very pleasing type of sound. Nothing like my Shure SE530s but definitely just as enjoyable.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 50
Vote for DT880's. I didn't like the K701's; the sound wasn't nearly as tonally balanced as the DT880's (Yes, I heard the K701's after break-in - my friend estimated break in at about 100 hours, no idea if this is "long enough" though I personally don't buy break-in beyond a certain point). The tough part between distinguishing between K701's and DT880's is that it's largely a matter of preference. I think that the DT880's are flatter; probably the flattest at this price-point, though I haven't seen frequency charts for all of the phones on the list. That being said, not everyone's optimal frequency response is a flat line. I'd say try both if you can, and if you can pick them up locally, see if you can buy them, try them, and return them within a couple of days for a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back