K701... are they really THAT amazing?
Feb 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #32 of 286
Eh... I'll never understand those who say the K701 sounds terrible...
They might be not that perfect as I said, but it's still too far from "zzzzzzz"....

You guys even burned it in?

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #33 of 286
To me the fact that it gets a wide range of reviews depending on the sources makes these truly good reference cans.
k701smile.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #34 of 286
I said not #2 because underamping the K701 makes them bass-light and much less dynamic, but details and soundstage should still be there.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #35 of 286
I'm not agree.
Before I amped my K701 with the soundcard amp a lot of details was lack, and the soundstage wasn't that wide...

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 286
I've had no experience with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. But it's a soundcard, and even if the built-in amp on the card is very good, I don't think it's going to be enough for the K701. The K701 needs a powerful external amp with clean, quick power.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #37 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are you suggesting headphones which are worse than K701 in OP's regards? Another problem of DT48 is that bass is just completely absent, even worse than AKG K1000 if my memory is correct.

To OP : If you don't like 701's revealing nature, yet you still want headphones with good resolution, Sennheiser HD600 will be sufficient; it just has all things that you need -less prominent high yet still maintain details, very good balance, smaller soundstage compared to K701 but still large enough, and more bass response.

Bass is dependent to the source. Neutral bass.. If the op wants a balanced frequency response, ie no emphasized highs, treble, lows, bass, the DT48 wouldn't be a bad choice, unless the op insist on having a large soundstage.. The DT48 will never be able to replicate the 701's sound stage width & depth..

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 286
No. No they are not.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #39 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to me, the k701's are undynamic, unfocused, and zzzzz when underamped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had no experience with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. But it's a soundcard, and even if the built-in amp on the card is very good, I don't think it's going to be enough for the K701. The K701 needs a powerful external amp with clean, quick power.

I agree with the statements above. Sometimes I prefer my Grado SR60 with my AKG K701. Grado SR60 is very musical without an amp/with a porta amp. K701 sounds just like my Grado SR60 too-means same sound quality level. I am just using my porta amp PA2V2.

At this point of time, I assume K701 is one headphone-that is really a headphone to grow with-I mean its a headphone that we will be upgrading to experimenting with sources, amps, cables, etc. My Grado SR60 I believe has shown its fullest potential.

Now I can see why most headfiers are telling this "Welcome to Headfi, Sorry about your wallet". K701 is one good headphone I believe based on my researches in the web only. I have not experience completely about what K701 can bring out because I am just starting to experiment. And K701 sound quality as some said rivals the best headphone out there. Plus K701-has been named too-the best headphone in the world. Would you believe this?

Trust in your K701.
Do some experiments.
Don't give up. Bring out the fullest potential of your headphone.
This is the job of a headfier.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #40 of 286
I strongly recommend a headphone amp. It makes huge difference..
I heard K701 is perfect match with SS amp.. ie canamp or shanliing ph100.
It doesn't matter if you got the $40,000 speakers..when your source is crap..

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #41 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of three things is happening.
1) Your expectations were unrealistic
2) Your rig isn't able to drive the K701 adequately
3) You are expecting to hear details that just aren't very present in the recordings (either due to them being compressed or being poor recordings)

I think 1 and 3 are the most likely candidates.

You're not going to find a lot of headphones much more detailed than the K701. The Stax rig I have and the HD800 I used to have were more detailed, but only slightly, and much more expensive. Same thing with soundstage - HD800 is a little bigger, but again only slightly, and the K701 is bigger than the Stax rig I use now.

I'll vote for 1 and 3 + and I'll add 4, inexperienced with different hps, or the STX presets and functions (good that wali can help you with this issue). Experience take some time, and you have a good start.
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #42 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust in your K701.
Do some experiments.
Don't give up. Bring out the fullest potential of your headphone.
This is the job of a headfier.

The way to go....
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #44 of 286
I think that you should keep the K701's. I find them very engaging, and they seem to get better over time (real or imagined). You have some fine headphones -- get an amp and then all you have to concern yourself with is enjoying the music!

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #45 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be that you just don't like the 701. You would not be alone.

Yeah I agree with this fella. However, the K701 didn't sound very good out of an STX to me. Anyway, with a entry set up, the K701 doesn't wow me any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back