K701 and E E-EMU 0404
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 10
I own these headphones but I've never heard a E-MU 0404. From what I read here on head-fi the amp section of the 0404 is not too bad but for these headphones I would definitively get a dedicated amp.

How much do you plan to spend on a DAC and an amp?

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own these headphones but I've never heard a E-MU 0404. From what I read here on head-fi the amp section of the 0404 is not too bad but for these headphones I would definitively get a dedicated amp.

How much do you plan to spend on a DAC and an amp?

Well how much is necessary to really make these headphones sound? I mean does Corda Cantate work well with these? It has built in DAC but i dont need it when i have my 0404.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
A fellow Austrian head-fier uses the Cantate&K701 combination and he is happy with it using the Cantate's inbuilt DAC.
He is now looking for different headphones because he has comfort issues with the K701 (if you have short hair this could be a problem for you too).

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 10
In my experience the 701's benefit from a tube amp. I owned them for a little while and I used the emu 0404 for my dac and either an arietta or lunchbox 2 for amp. The tube amp added to the 'fullness' of the sound. I ended up getting rid of the 701's because I prefer my hd600's. I believe there is something of a consensus that a tube amp is a good complement though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back