K701 amp?, or is my full stereo receiver enough to power them properly
Jun 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

reedO

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, 
            I'm Reedo, and I have a pressing question, as time has gone on I have gotten more and more excited about audio, to the point where I have had the option to trade for my k701s, and now that they are here, I'm not sure if my Denon receivers headphone amp can push them to where they need to be.  
My source is the xonar essence stx run with monster digital coax to the receiver, and I was just wondering if a headphone amp would give me better sound.

Thanks for any and all replies, and seeing as this is my first post, I'm sorry if the forum is wrong. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 9
this is one of the most commonly asked questions in the history of this forum.
for that reason, i recommend doing a quick search.
you will find all the answers you need.

the k701/2 is a unique headphone.
you can get the headphone to procude "sufficient volume" from even an ipod. 
but, the sound from such under-powered sources will not be as relaxing, involving, or as satisfying as from a more robust amplifier.

likewise, your receiver may sound nice with the k701.  then again, it may not synergize well at all.
you will just have to listen for a while and determine that for yourself.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 9
sorry, it wasn't my intent to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to make my first post a decent one.  guess I should of just done a forum search .
thanks for the help :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi Reedo,

Looks like we are in the same boat - having big doubts about the ability of our hi-fi systems to drive K70x. As you may have already seen in my post I think we should relax a bit and give our components a chance to demonstrate what they can do.  I've read that most hi-fi stereo components were produced at standard 120 ohms, so most likely the parameters of your system with regard to phone output is similar to mine. If you don't have a problem with volume (easily get the desired level before 12:00) then this is a fisrt good sign, I would say. Yes, due to omega mismatch there will be some distortions but practically EVERY amplifier generates some distortions. So i think it is MUCH more important to give your phones a good break-in period. If you got yours from somebody else, then you've got a bonus of break-in. In this case, just listen to your favorite music and see if you like the sound.

I think one particular advantage of using your receiver is that it can produce surround sound (I assume) and your phones are K701s (which is surround, right?). So you may get much better synergy with your receiver in terms of sound effects than with a headphone amp. Just like the designer intended.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 9
i don't have much experience with surround sound receivers cause i usually don't care for them personally due to lot of them having very weak power amp sections and puny power transformers that's not meant to handle heavy current loads.

since it's more modernized i assume it uses the standardized 120ohm resistors between the power amp section and headphone out section or all we know it be using a separate op-amp circuit instead. only way to know is read the schematics of the unit to see what's under the hood. specs mean nothing really. only way to truely get an idea how the amp functions and can sound if you know how to read the schematics. i say give it a try. if you like it then that's awesome and don't worry about it. if you don't then you can always look at other options.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi Reedo,

I've read that most hi-fi stereo components were produced at standard 120 ohms.

it only became standardized with moderen amps. even the expensive stereo amps made even today. lot of vintage hi-fi stereo amps,receivers varied a lot on what the designer intended. lot of amps and receivers back then used much higher values of 560-680ohm resistors between the power amp section and headphone out so lot of headphone output impedance were between 560-680ohms and were rated either 1/2w to 2w resistors used. around the mid 80's they cut it down to about 220ohm resistors and so forth and after that 120ohms became more of a standard for home listening use.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 9
^ Thanks for clarification. And great advice to OP. I also like your signature very much (wish I could come up with it first)

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back