K550 or D600: Looking for New Closed Headphones for Classical
Sep 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vinnievidi

500+ Head-Fier
After reading countless posts, I bit the bullet and I got the K550 this weekend.  For the most part I like them. Though, there are some issues that I have with them and now I don't know if I should return the K550 and get the D600 (or something completely different).  

I got the K550 because I liked the K702 quite a bit, but felt that the bass was too light or me (I prefer a warmer sound).  Thus, I thought the K550 would do the trick. Also, I listen to classical 90% of the time and thought that these would be perfect.  I have been running the K550 out of my iPod Nano and my Denon receiver, which seems to accentuate the lower mids, approximately between 125hz and 500hz.  

The fit is ok. I don't have any problem getting a deep bass response; however, I have to really focus on the bass to hear it.  It's like the bass isn't there, but when I notice it's not there it appears in spades... strange.  Also, if I wear glasses (which I have to from time-to-time when on the computer) I break the seal and the K550 sounds too anemic.  

I do like the mids and highs for the most part.  They aren't overly dominant or piercing, but the upper mids sound a little mushed together on some recordings. Does any of this change after burn-in?

So, I guess my question is if anyone has listened to both the K550 and D600 and can give an opinion on the two.  Also, if anyone who has listened classical music through the D600 could share their thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.  Last question: based on what I will be listening to and using as a source (the nano at work and the Denon receiver at home--I'm trying to reduce my audio expenditures, so I'm not going with an amp), am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 14
What's your budget? I currently have LCD2, LCD3, HD800, K550, and T5p and when it's only about classical musics, T5p is in its own class compared to all others. It really brings out the music.

If I have to rate from scale from 1 to 10, T5p would get 10 and HD800 would get 3. LCD2, LCD3 would get 1. 
Ofcourse this is only for classical musics.

Plus you don't necessary need strong amplification with T5p. However you'd want good source.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the replies.  I'd like to stick to $500 and below, so I think the T5p is out of my budget.  The dt770 looks good for the price, thought I don't have any experience with them, and I wonder if the t70p would be ones to look at as well.  Actually, the only Beyers I've ever listened to is the dt880, and that was at B&H's listening booth.  If memory serves, the test song at the time was something by Steve Perry, so I didn't stick around that long.  I'm just spitballing here but since the conversation is on Beyers, what about the dt1350?  As I'd like to use the headphones at work every once in a while, the portability would be welcome.   

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.  I'd like to stick to $500 and below, so I think the T5p is out of my budget.  The dt770 looks good for the price, thought I don't have any experience with them, and I wonder if the t70p would be ones to look at as well.  Actually, the only Beyers I've ever listened to is the dt880, and that was at B&H's listening booth.  If memory serves, the test song at the time was something by Steve Perry, so I didn't stick around that long.  I'm just spitballing here but since the conversation is on Beyers, what about the dt1350?  As I'd like to use the headphones at work every once in a while, the portability would be welcome.   

Try a small eq adjustment.  What pmp or computer media player do you use?  With a mild increase of the 60-200 Hz, I find the bass fills in nicely on the K550s.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I needed a closed can for classical.  Bought the DT660.

Pros:  Great isolation, deep sub-bass (think orchestral bass drum), no mid-bass hump, more efficient than even my Grado.

Cons:  Pretty narrow soundstage noticable on big orchestras but string quartets sound excellent, can be brightish in the upper mid-range (but I'm a Grado fan)

Only other Beyer I've heard is DT990 600 ohm which is open.  Bigger soundstage but has a mid-bass hump.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
After reading countless posts, I bit the bullet and I got the K550 this weekend.  For the most part I like them. Though, there are some issues that I have with them and now I don't know if I should return the K550 and get the D600 (or something completely different).  

I got the K550 because I liked the K702 quite a bit, but felt that the bass was too light or me (I prefer a warmer sound).  Thus, I thought the K550 would do the trick. Also, I listen to classical 90% of the time and thought that these would be perfect.  I have been running the K550 out of my iPod Nano and my Denon receiver, which seems to accentuate the lower mids, approximately between 125hz and 500hz.  

The fit is ok. I don't have any problem getting a deep bass response; however, I have to really focus on the bass to hear it.  It's like the bass isn't there, but when I notice it's not there it appears in spades... strange.  Also, if I wear glasses (which I have to from time-to-time when on the computer) I break the seal and the K550 sounds too anemic.  

I do like the mids and highs for the most part.  They aren't overly dominant or piercing, but the upper mids sound a little mushed together on some recordings. Does any of this change after burn-in?

So, I guess my question is if anyone has listened to both the K550 and D600 and can give an opinion on the two.  Also, if anyone who has listened classical music through the D600 could share their thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.  Last question: based on what I will be listening to and using as a source (the nano at work and the Denon receiver at home--I'm trying to reduce my audio expenditures, so I'm not going with an amp), am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance!

I listen to a ton of classical music myself.  I used to play classical piano growing up, so I find myself drawn to Ivo Pogorelich, Martha Argerich as artists...Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Haydn as composers.  It's odd you say you love bass for classical.  I'm a soundstage fan, and I find soundstage and clarity as the two most important facets to listening to classical music.  What draws you to the bass in classical music, and what pieces do you listen to? Are you listening to a lot of Yoyo Ma? Cello concertos, and/or Bach?

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 14
D600 is a horrific choice for classical. Any one who is familiar with the different forms of classical music would probably know after a few seconds of listening. The bloated bass and recessed mids would destroy the intricacies of the inner melodic lines of complex works. It could be worse, be it could also be much better. The K550 is the obvious choice between those two, it being vastly more neutral. 

If we are talking open headphones, the HD800 IMO easily bests every other dynamic and orthodynamic headphone currently in existence with complex classical music. Only electrostats can challenge this (and probably win). 

EDIT: If you listen to extremely simple classical works (e.g. minimalism, not Brahms symphonies) you might get away with using the D600. I still stand by the fact that it would be a terrible choice as a DEDICATED classical headphone. If you want to listen to both hip-hop and classical on one pair, than by all means go for it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for your response.  
I wouldn't get too hung up on focusing on bass.  I am actually more interested in warmth.  I don't play an instrument but do attend countless opera and symphonic performances at Lincoln Center every season, and the sound is never sterile.  Yes, it's clear, and clarity is paramount, but it has impact and a full sound (at least if you sit in the orchestra seats). I was asking about the D600 only because I would think that they would be tuned for my receiver, seeing as the D600 has weaker mids and my receiver seems to accentuate the mids.  But I have absolutely no evidence that this would equalize.  

I do listen to a lot of Baroque and Classical composers like Bach, Motzart, etc., but lately I've been listening to the likes of Verdi, Saint Saens, Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Quote:
I listen to a ton of classical music myself.  I used to play classical piano growing up, so I find myself drawn to Ivo Pogorelich, Martha Argerich as artists...Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Haydn as composers.  It's odd you say you love bass for classical.  I'm a soundstage fan, and I find soundstage and clarity as the two most important facets to listening to classical music.  What draws you to the bass in classical music, and what pieces do you listen to? Are you listening to a lot of Yoyo Ma? Cello concertos, and/or Bach?

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
D600 is a horrific choice for classical. Any one who is familiar with the different forms of classical music would probably know after a few seconds of listening. The bloated bass and recessed mids would destroy the intricacies of the inner melodic lines of complex works. It could be worse, be it could also be much better. The K550 is the obvious choice between those two, it being vastly more neutral.

X2.

I do think you should give the HM5 a shot. It's on sale for $100.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 14
or check out the krk kns8400...since yor receiver can full out the mids.
its got great separation, isolation..n saves the pocket.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Oh, I should add that I've owned a number of top-shelf headphones: HD800, Grado GS1000, Denon D7000.  Out of all of them, the Grado at low volume was the best for classical.  I didn't have the best amplification at the time, but I really felt that the HD800 just wasn't for me.  To explain my preferences more, I think that I really liked the HD650, the GS1000 and the PS500 the best out of all the headphones I've owned.  But the issue is that I need a closed set, otherwise I think the solution would be to go back to one of them. 

Also, I am sorry if I sounded jerk-y in my last post (I was writing on my phone on the subway... never a good time for me to reply to anything).  Thanks for the replies though; they have given pause for thought.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back