K501's wow!!
Jul 18, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kejar31

1000+ Head-Fier
So, today I got a new box in the mail from a fellow Head-fier. In that box was a pair of K501's which I paid $125 for shipped. To top it off the headphones are absolutely mint with less then 100 hours of use on them. After listening to them for most of the day all I can say is wow
eek.gif
. The soundstage is huge and the mids sound out of this world. The highs are a little bright but I expect that to calm down with a little extra burn in time. The bass is really the only flaw so far. While it is ok it is also lacking. I have put in an order for some new K701 pads and will see what that does. Either way I am really happy with the score and will definitely be holding on to these for years to come.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 23
Some albums seem to just stop me in my tracks when listening to them through theses phones. Jim Croce (24 Karat Gold in A bottle), Eric Clapton (Unplugged), Jackson Brown (Solo Acoustic), Melody Gardot (Worrisome Hart) all sound so good I find myself just pausing from whatever it is I am doing, staring off into nothing losing myself into the music. Only to come through at the end of the current track, in awe.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 23
A hornet won't do these things justice
wink.gif
I suggest you go to a meet and try out a gilmore lite, M^3, or CKKIII. A good transparent discrete home amp get's rid of any glare (I thought the hornet to be grainy with upper bass hump but poor extension) and drive them with authority.

I would go with the M^3 or CKKIII, the former for transparency with a bit of warmth, the latter for a very rich, natural, and lively sound. If you prefer a manufactured amp, try the gilmore lite. I feel it is a great match with plenty of power and never every harsh.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 23
I can't wait to get mine and see how they do with my growing collection of acoustic music, jazz, and the like.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 23
Yea, I have been thinking about getting a nice home amp for awhile. The only thing thats held me back up until this point is that I spend a large portion of my headphone listening time at work. Although the Hornet is holding its own right now.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have put in an order for some new K701 pads and will see what that does.

Congrats on the new set of cans. I really like my 501s too. I have the K701 pads and it does alter the phones quite a bit. My ears are sensitive to highs and the 701 pads tame them at a slight cost in airiness. The pads also warm up the phones a bit by boosting the bass, however the boosted bass lacks a little clarity. I do enjoy the extra body added to acoustic instrument timbre though. The final noticeable difference is collapsed width in the soundstage providing a slightly more intimate listening experience, but since the 501s already sound so spacious, it doesn't bother me much. I actually quite like being able to swap pads occasionally since both have their pluses and minuses. Let us know how you find the new pads.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine are v3, which is bass heavy...wanna trade with me ?
smily_headphones1.gif

note:
maybe kinda of OOT here...your nick kejar are just like "chasing" in indonesian language, are you indonesian ? or just speak bahasa ?
tongue.gif

No, the name is just an account name I have used forever. It originally comes from a user account login I had when I worked for Kraft Food. KE stands for Kraft Employee and JAR is my initials. 31 just meant I was the 31st person with kejar at Kraft. Anyways, I got sick of trying to remember my usernames accross the net so I just decided at that time to use that account name. At least up until now it has always been available
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back