K501 vs ATH-W100: any thoughts?
Sep 6, 2002 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bugsy_pal

New Head-Fier
I am intrigued by the many varied comments on the W100. While I am almost sold on the 501s as my next purchase, I am wondering if the W100 has certain similarities but perhaps deeper bass. While I am sure they are very different headphone experiences, I would be very interested to hear opinions on how they compare.... thanks

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 8
the W100s are much more colored than the K501s and present music in a very different way. While the K501s may sound lean, the W100s sound very warm. The W100s also have an upper midrange coloration that adds a touch of excitement to the sound; they have a peak where the HD600s sound recessed, actually. I found the W100 to be very enjoyable to listen to despite its colorations, but the K501 is more neutral.

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 8
depends on your listening style. i actually prefer the w100 believe it or not, the thing has so much transparency, it just sucks you right in. the 501 is a bit more plain, but is more tonaly accurate, but i think it lacks bass completely. the w100 has more mid bass, but neither one really goes very deep... the w100 i think from memory goes deeper.

Sep 6, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I have heard the 501s, and I don't think I agree with you that they lack bass completely. They do sound kind of lean, and the bass that's there is not overly prominent - but it is there. I much prefer it to the bass I heard on Senn 580s and 590s - those i felt had too much bass that was a bit woolly or flabby.

Yesterday I compared 401s with my old Audio-Technica ATH-70s - the old ones are quite detailed, but in comparison to the 401s have hardly any bass. Yet when I listen to them at home, I rarely find myself wishing for more bass. At a reasonable volume level, the bass is nicely there.

I guess I'm just saying that I think the 501s have ample bass, and that statement is based on my feeling that one gets used to a certain sound and enjoys it, particularly when you're not comparing it A/B with something else. And of course there's personal preference - I seem to prefer a leaner sound.

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bugsy_pal
And of course there's personal preference - I seem to prefer a leaner sound.

In that case, I think you will be well served by the 501. The bass is there and it is tight. I had a brief time with the W100 and prefered the 501, although I can't say that definitively. The 501 has a very airy sound with a somewhat exagerated sense of instrument seperation that sets itself apart.

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bugsy_pal
thanks... so if the W100s are warmer than the 501s, with a fuller bass, would they sound more like the Sennheiser 580s or 590s

580s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back