K240S - Good Decision?
Jan 17, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #46 of 58
K271S is a closed headphone and has good isolation, K240S is a semi open headphone and hardly isolates at all.

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
So would you say without an amp which i dont have or want one should forget about the akg 240?

No, the word is it's perfectly driveable without an amp, but improves substantially with one.

I must have been thinking on & off about getting K240S for nearly two years (LOL), finally got one
tongue.gif
. Can't wait until it gets here...

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
couple questions for you guys:

Ok, I'll take a stab at these, but just for disclosure's sake, know that I really like these cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
How would you compare to the hd555's? (as far as soundstage and detail go?)
Are they circum-aural?
Can they run straight from an IPOD?
Had finally decide on buying the Senns for my girlfriend, but then I read this thread.
She needs detail and soundstage; she listend to alot of world music and hip-hop.
These will be her first real cans so id like them to be "fun" as well.
Lastly, are they comfortable?
I know there is alot here-appreciate it...

EDIT: one more thing...what the heck is "semi-open"?

I auditioned the HD555's in a shop, and I own the K240S, but here goes:

I found the HD555 to have a greater soundstage.

I would put detail about the same, though the HD555 does have greater treble presence and extention.

Yes, they are circumaural.

They would run just fine from an iPod, IMHO, though they do improve with even a modest amp. Of my home headphones, the K240S probably improves the least when amped (i.e. it is not as dramatic an improvement as amped vs unamped with the DT531 or HD580)

"Fun"? Tons of. Very subjective, but I find them VERY foot-tappy. Lini has described this aspect of them very well in other threads, search for his posts on the matter.

They sure are comfortable, but I live in a dry climate. Some find the vinyl earpads to be sweaty with extended listening. The HD555's, with their nice velour earcups, are very comfy. I found the clamping pressure on the HD555 to be greater, though. Everyone's head and comfort perception is different.

With these, "semi-open" seems to play out as mostly "open". They are less open than my other open cans, but they do not isolate as well as a closed can. Also, they leak sound. This can potentially be a problem at work, on the bus/train, late at night, etc.

Given your GF's music (world music & hip hop) consider the very groovy K240S. But for detail and soundstage, consider the HD555. Either can would be a great choice. Given the price difference, the K240S is a much greater value, IMHO.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know which one you two decide on, and how she likes it.

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #49 of 58
Now, I have to say... after owning the 271S for a year I still think they're very uncomfortable. I had read here and elsewhere that they're very easy to wear, and anyways I needed good closed studio phones. I had to buy them blind.

So they're good at what I bought them for, but I never feel that I want to put them on my head. I once owned the Beyerdynamic DT231, and those have been the most comfortable phones I've ever tried. No clamping, no sweaty ears, no hearing my heartbeat, and it actually felt good to have them on. Certainly the best 40 euros ever spent on something like this, and apparently their price hasn't changed at all since then. Of course, the 271S need to achieve a better seal, and I won't blame them for that.

But this is just my head. If the 240 are like the 271 in comfort, then I wouldn't want to have to wear them. This all just has me eyeing the K 501 for a lighter set of cans but with the AKG sound. I hope anyways.

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vid
But this is just my head. If the 240 are like the 271 in comfort, then I wouldn't want to have to wear them. This all just has me eyeing the K 501 for a lighter set of cans but with the AKG sound. I hope anyways.

The K501 is fantastic, but very light on bass (particularly before burn-in). Musical preferences are going to be the chief determiner of whether people like this headphone, IMO... to me it's great with everything except rock and bass-dependent music like hiphop. The mids, coherency and overall presentation are so good that I can forgive it a lot... it's my current favorite for casual, non-critical listening. It will be fun to add the K240S to the stable, which should handle most of the music that K501 doesn't.

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #51 of 58
Well, I don't find the K271S uncomfortable myself, but the K240S are more comfortable than them from what I remember... mostly because they are lighter. It sounds like your main beef with the comfort is the leatherette pads... get velour if they bug you that much. AKG has began producing them for the k240/K271S/K340 style earcups.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Trigger pulled on K240S
smily_headphones1.gif

Olé, olé! Finally!
wink.gif

Quote:

I must have been thinking on & off about getting K240S for nearly two years (LOL), finally got one.

Oh, really?!? I haven't even noticed...
evil_smiley.gif
*prophylactically holds own nose*
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Olé, olé! Finally!
wink.gif

Now let's hope the K701 hype doesn't affect me so much that I sell everything to get a pair
biggrin.gif
. Being more in the 'neutrality' camp, it's a double whammy to read the good reports + FOTM hype... must resist...
plainface.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
If it's going to be primarily for iPod unamped, will the K240S be a better choice than the 701?

Probably... as a very high end headphone, much of K701s potential would be completely wasted without an amp. But neither headphone is the greatest choice unamped... K240S also benefits quite a bit from amping.

Jan 17, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #56 of 58
No, my beef with the 271S is clamping. I like velour better, but I also like the cups to not push against my head. They should gently rest there.

The K 501 I would get purely for classical music, but anything else that works with it is extra. I don't care for bass, I want to take a step away from the music.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vid
No, my beef with the 271S is clamping. I like velour better, but I also like the cups to not push against my head. They should gently rest there.

Oh, I see... well the K271S is a closed headphone and as such there is more clamping pressure. You won't find this 'problem' with teh K240S or the K501.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Now let's hope the K701 hype doesn't affect me so much that I sell everything to get a pair
biggrin.gif
. Being more in the 'neutrality' camp, it's a double whammy to read the good reports + FOTM hype... must resist...
plainface.gif

Oh, well - just repeat the mantra: "I won't buy the ugly, white, expensive headphone! I won't buy the ugly..."
evil_smiley.gif
Works for me so far - but I fear the K601 will get me sooner or later...
wink.gif

When do you exspect your K240S to arrive, btw?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back