k240 photo guide: sextett to monitor
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

pistolsnipe

500+ Head-Fier
okay i havent seen a comprehensive guide to k240s and i think i am in a pretty good position to write one so here we go, a comprehensive pictoral:

baffles:
fem5p3.jpg

top left:mp sextett
top ight: lp sextett
bottom left: df
bottom right: early monitor

2uombnl.jpg

top left:mp sextett
top right: lp sextett
bottom left: df
bottom right: early monitor

f9w1j.jpg

ep sextett

jjlqc7.jpg

left:ep screen
right:mp/lp screen

2hqb4b5.jpg

left:ep screen
right:mp/lp screen

xqi16t.jpg

sextett band (ep/mp/lp)

f2u83m.jpg

df /lp sextett band (this is silver, not white)

2mr6v78.jpg

monitor band (gold)

29n85dz.jpg

top left:df
top right:monitor
bottom:sextett ep/mp/lp

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 55
Great! Thanks!

The tiny baffle holes are very interesting on the DF monitor. Are they supposed to have such different amounts of cloth over the holes, or is that a mod or something else?

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Thanks!

The tiny baffle holes are very interesting on the DF monitor. Are they supposed to have such different amounts of cloth over the holes, or is that a mod or something else?

the df baffles are supposed to have even amounts on all of the holes, (and some havecovering over the pie shaped holes as well) but all the ones i have have been worn away at parts, as there is no grill on models after the sextetts, and there is only a piece of stuck on cloth that is always rotted out (the stuck on material is put on top of what you see here) the lighting isnt too good on that pick, maybe i will have to look into taking another picture.
it is also worth nothing that on the df baffles shown here, you cannot put the same drivers in as on the sextetts/monitors. they use the same drivers, but the df (and also the k140, and k141) take naked drivers, whereas the other k240s take naked drivers that have a plastic "shell" or surround that you put the naked driver into, before putting into the baffle. this is demonstrated by the df being the only baffle that has any protection for the driver built into the baffle. (the top picture shows the sextetts having a grill, but it is because the grill was left on for the top shot of the baffles)

as for my favorite, although i have all of them the ep hasnt gotten very much head time, nor has the lp. the mp sounds fantastic for jazz/slower music, and the df picks up where the sextetts drop off, also i have a lp baffle/monitor driver hybrid that sounds really good

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 55
it seems like that would have a big affect on the sound, since the cloth is acting as the passive radiators do in the sextetts. I wonder if bass response among other things would be much better with new cloth?

Also, I didn't see the picture of the front of the baffles when I looked before. The monitor really looks like they got cheap, and just ripped out the passive radiators and put cloth instead! Wow.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 55
yeah i am not sure if for the first monitors, if they just re-used some old stock from the sextett parts or not, i am not sure if later monitors have the same baffle or not. i do know that the monitor that that baffle came from has the cable which looks like 4 cables stuck together in a square configuration, as opposed to newer models that have a round cable

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 55
it is also worth noting that there seems to be no consistent driver colors for sextetts, i have seen red, gray, and white, and in the 140/141 which is spposed to have the same drivers, i have also seen both black and white drivers.

on the k340 i have with mp baffles, there are red drivers, and on the k340 i have with lp baffles, there were green drivers, so i am thinking that either color of the driver is irrelevant, or that the k340 with mp baffles shares the drivers with sextetts

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 55
that would explain why my EP sextetts sound so much better than any other sextetts i've heard. I had an MP and an LP, and the differences were not just less bass/more treble (which I would have welcomed), my EP was altogether more resolving, with better seperation and dynamics and a more nuanced sound. The other sextetts I had sounded a bit like a pocket radio in comparison.

Maybe that also explains some of the varying opinions about the sextetts.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would explain why my EP sextetts sound so much better than any other sextetts i've heard. I had an MP and an LP, and the differences were not just less bass/more treble (which I would have welcomed), my EP was altogether more resolving, with better seperation and dynamics and a more nuanced sound. The other sextetts I had sounded a bit like a pocket radio in comparison.

Maybe that also explains some of the varying opinions about the sextetts.

just out of curiosity, what color are the drivers in your ep?

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 55
I don't know I've never taken them apart except to rescreen them, but then the paper cover still blocked sight of the driver. I'm curious what it looks like though.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 55
vglmyw.jpg

157f215.jpg

here are some pics of the assorted drivers, ive seen the white and red in sextets as stated above, not sure about any of the others, the gray is probably a monitor or df driver. the sleeve shown is a monitor sleeve

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 55
Are you mixing the radiators and drivers there? It'll be interesting to see how that turns out if so.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 55
x2, very nice job on the hybrid.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back