k1000 owners club
May 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,171 of 1,660
Quote:
So far my one complaint with the K1000 is the poor dampening.  I seem to get more rattles and vibrations when listening to lower frequencies than I do with any other headphones.  The majority of listening is fine but every now and again I will hit a frequency that causes resonance and disrupts my listening experience.  Aside from that these headphones have a really realistic soundstage and image which is astounding. 

Sounds like a problem. I've used the K1000s as speakers (a few feet away) and they never rattled or distorted, not even close.

Check your amp if the rattles are bilateral, or your driver enclosure for any hair or other contaminant if the distortion's only on one side.

May 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,173 of 1,660
Quote:
^ how does one open the cages surrounding the drivers?  The only screw I have notice is on the bottom close to where the wire terminates into the ear piece. 

Tread carefully here. My advice would be to consult someone who's had experience opening up these things. The pros I knew had a hell of a time recabling mine safely.

May 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,175 of 1,660
note that if you remove the 'cages' from the glue you 'might' need to put another layer of glue, or any material that can make the 'cage' sit back in its place. for some reason when i close the cages without any material to hold the cage properly, it rattles like... a cage.

don't worry, the k1000 frames are tough, so dont panic. unless... the wire connected to the diaphram snapped...

May 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,176 of 1,660
I did a close inspection of the driver through the wire cage using a bright light and saw no indications of hair(s) or other contaminants on the driver.  The sound is generally super clear, and the rumble/vibration is only noticed when I'm playing something which has strong bass or certain lower frequencies which is why I suspect its part of the internal mechanisms which is hitting a resonant frequency.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,177 of 1,660
Mine does that too, it depends on the recording though.

May 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,179 of 1,660
Quote:
I did a close inspection of the driver through the wire cage using a bright light and saw no indications of hair(s) or other contaminants on the driver.  The sound is generally super clear, and the rumble/vibration is only noticed when I'm playing something which has strong bass or certain lower frequencies which is why I suspect its part of the internal mechanisms which is hitting a resonant frequency.

I get that noise as well when I had a pair in the right driver only. Not in all songs though.

May 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,180 of 1,660
I have 2 pair's of K1000's, neither rattles when producing low frequencies.

May 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,181 of 1,660
I've had a single pair for over 5 years (bought new) and have listened to many others, and they have never rattled as described. I believe there might be a problem. 

May 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,183 of 1,660
With the help of a fellow HeadFi-er in Germany, I now own a mint bass-heavy K1000
basshead.gif
Package arrived this afternoon. I can't wait to give them a listen through the Stratus.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,185 of 1,660
Hi.I found some information about this problem from AKG forum:

[size=small]Driver failures are very rare with K 1000. In very old products it may be that the foam damping inside the system deteriorated due to normal ageing. In such a case you will notice an audible distortion at lower frequencies. If a K1000 is not overloaded the drivers will last for decades. [/size]
[size=small]Karl. AKG[/size]

I read some post from this guy and I think he's engineer from AKG or someone like this.
and
#8947 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back