K1000 connection to RKV Mk II--n00b question
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Isaac.

Head-Fier
Well, I ponied up for the last new pair of K1000s at my local dealer and now I dive into the abyss known as the search for an amp. Seems the RKV is one of the better combos. My question is--how do you guys connect the K1000s to the amp? Through the Impedancer? It seems that this unit has speaker post terminations on it.

Anyway, the RKV has become the leader for me because it seems to be one that can also be used for regular dynamic cans. Was this a factor for anyone else?

Thanks all!

Isaac.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac.
Through the Impedancer?

No. You don't want the Impedancer for the K1000s.

You need an XLR(4-pin)->1/4" adapter cable to go from the K1000's stock cable to the RKV's 1/4" headphone jack.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Search for k-1000 on ebay and you'll see some cables of various lengths made over in Hong Kong - I just received one and it is first rate - saved me from having to wire up the regular extension cable (which I use with an amp anyway).

I haven't tried the RKV, but I've heard it is a great match, and it can be use for other cans, so it is versatile.

-- Gordie

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 9
The adapters are pretty simple to make and would be a good first DIY project. I have 4pin-1/4", 4pin - 2x 3pin, and 4pin - banana plugs... gives you the ability to hook it up to just about anything
icon10.gif

Just get something like Canare or Mogami quad cable and a 4pin XLR and a 1/4" plug.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
The adapters are pretty simple to make and would be a good first DIY project. I have 4pin-1/4", 4pin - 2x 3pin, and 4pin - banana plugs... gives you the ability to hook it up to just about anything
icon10.gif

Just get something like Canare or Mogami quad cable and a 4pin XLR and a 1/4" plug.

This brings up a question. This isn't the right thread, but what about a DIY rewiring for the full cable? I've made my own power cords and interconnects before.

Has this been tried? Is there a formula that you know of?

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
This brings up a question. This isn't the right thread, but what about a DIY rewiring for the full cable? I've made my own power cords and interconnects before.

Rob,

DIY wiring for the full cable is very delicate. See link for example of someone who tried it and failed.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stefa...rt2/k1000.html

I sent my K1000s to Vinnie Rossi at RedWine Audio for the modification. (and they sound fantastic!)
k1000smile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

Well you sure picked possibly one of the worst headphones you could possibly start on
icon10.gif
They are very delicate and if you break them will set you back $300 or so on drivers alone... It certainly is not something I would recommend for a more advanced person let alone someone who is a novice at cabling and soldering... Ive perhaps made a couple hundred cables and have recabled quite a few headphones but I am more then reluctant to take on my own pair. Also, I am still unsure just what I want to tweak in the sound... if anything. I will not recable headphones just for the sake of doing so. I only do so when I find a recable could tweak or improve the overall sound more to my liking…so perhaps some day I will get around to doing so but for now they are just fine as is and I will let the adapters and amps/sources/ICs tweek the sound for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 9
OK - no DIY on this one.

If something can go wrong DIY ing, then I will fail miserably.

I'll have to send them off for cable upgrade. And in the mean time, I guess I'll get the 701's since they are the best headphone on the planet hahahahhaa

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Gordie- thanks for the eBay reference; I didn't know those were there. I just put in an order for one. I had been driving my K-1000s off an amp and was toying with the idea of building one of these. But the price was right and I've got one on the way. Thanks again-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back