K 701 leaking: Can they be used as mini speakers?
Mar 21, 2006 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hyamaiata

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there. Ok, hopefully (and finally) I should have my K 701s here by Wednesday or Thursday next week. Right now, I'm using a pair of Logitech Z-2300 speakers to listen to music. I've read some people saying the K 701s leak madly and that they could be used as mini speakers. So I was wondering ''I can sell the speakers and use the K 701s as mini speakers when I'm with people here in the room''. I mean, I don't want to make a party but sometimes I'm with two or three friends here who also want to enjoy the music. Or sometimes I must stand up to look for something or whatever and I still want to enjoy the music. Would the K 701s serve good for this purpose? I'm only asking if this is possible without bumping the volume to deafening levels of course.

Thanks in advance.
701smile.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach
I wouldn't feel okay with using $300 headphones as speakers . Just a thought.

Some cheap altec lansing mini speakers would fit the bill better I reckon.

One thing I forgot to mention: I won't be using them as 'speakers'. My primary use is going to be for what they are, headphones. Putting them in my head and press play, you know. I was just asking when the situations mentioned above present, if they can be used as mini speakers at moderate volume levels.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
One thing I forgot to mention: I won't be using them as 'speakers'. My primary use is going to be for what they are, headphones. Putting them in my head and press play, you know. I was just asking when the situations mentioned above present, if they can be used as mini speakers at moderate volume levels.

i think he was saying that it wouldnt be smart taking the chance of damaging them by blasting em just so you can avoid plugging speakers in.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 15
The other day I was listening on my k701s and I took 'em off to go to another room in the house. I could still hear them while I was in the other room. Yes they leak a lot. But I wouldn't use them as speakers.

I don't like to have my headphones playing when they are not in my head, not even for burning in. IHMO I belive that part of the process of burning in is also having my ears burn in to a new set of headphones. (subjective... maybe)

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 15
This is a bad, bad idea. You're not going to get ANY good sound, and certainly no bass whatsoever. Plus, you risk damage if you turn them up too high.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 15
The HD650 makes a much better speaker. The K701's leakage is sort of focused and directional compared to HD650 due to the design of the cups. I find that K701 leaks MORE than HD650 depending on where you are positioned relative to the headphones. With that said, I wouldn't use them like that because they will be poor at it, nevermind damage issues.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Grados make better (more audible) speakers.
very_evil_smiley.gif

K1000s make better speakers
very_evil_smiley.gif

True true true

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
K1000s make better speakers
very_evil_smiley.gif

They ARE speakers!

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 15
701s make for great headphones, but for lousy speakers. Tinny, shrill, no bass response. You might could hear the music, but can you really enjoy it? And, as others point out, you risk blowing the drivers because it's difficult to gauge accurately how loud you're really playing them without them on your head.

Listen to the good folks, keep your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back