K 701 cable mod
Jan 14, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
I've done it! Cut the K 701's cable down to 1.25 m. It has paid off sonically, more so than I hoped for. The treble sparkle I was missing when comparing it to the HD 650 is finally there and makes for an overall increase of smoothness, also smoothing the previously slightly inhomogeneous midrange. The result is incredible realism and neutrality.

The cable on the K 701 doesn't look high-end. The conductors have tiny diameters and consist of ordinary stranded copper (?) wires. I know, looks don't count too much in cables, but the opulent length has bothered me from the start anyway. Halving the cable should result in halving inductance and capacitance and theoretically remove half of the coloration induced by it. I can't compare the now characteristic to how it was before, but I'm sure it has considerably improved. Maybe the cable isn't really bad, just too long for its design or transfer characteristic...

The color code for those who want to take the risk:

orange = hot right; yellow = hot left; black + white = ground (for balanced operation it should be easy to find out which is left and which is right by means of a voltmeter)

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Might consider making them dual entry if thats the case... the extra length running over the band will make the one side a good 1ft longer...

I'll rather not do that -- it would be too much of a hassle. (And to be honest, I've also learned to appreciate the one-sided cable.) But you're right, and I've considered the issue as well. Anyway, the sonic result is good enough for me as it is.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 8
You just shortened the cable and noticed all of these differences?

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Honestly, I've built many headphone/interconnect/speaker cables, and varying the lengths of those cables shorter or longer had little to no sound quality effects on the audio gear they were used on.
You may affect the inductance, capacitance, or resistance of a cable by shortening it, but if those properties aren't all that high to start with then you're really not gaining much.
If the 701's sounded different with the shortened cable it would be my guess that the new 1/8" or 1/4" plug that was used to terminate the cable isn't burned in yet and is influencing the sound, or if a new plug wasn't used then the new solder joints are affecting the sound, and as soon as they've had some run-in time on them the 701's will sound pretty much like they used to.
And yes terminators and solder joints do need time to burn in, and the scientific/ naysayer crowd can start their own thread if they want to whine and argue that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back