K-1000 on eBay
post-205458
Post #2 of 7

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, HighwayStar.

Please keep in mind, though, that standard Head-Fi "netiquette" makes it undesirable to list eBay or Audiogon auctions here at Head-Fi unless it is your own. It's certainly allowed, but just not encouraged, since you end up raising the chance that another Head-Fier bidding on the item will not get a good deal. It's not considered a faux-pas to list your own auctions, though.

post-205466
Post #3 of 7

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Reaction score
Sorry Dan. I didn't give it a second thought as I'd seen it done so many times before. Would it be more appropriate in the General section ?

I just thought someone might be interested, especially in an item you don't see every day...

post-205494
Post #4 of 7

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Please don't get me wrong, I understand that what you were doing was just being nice. It's just that the case often is is that those who are looking for an item will have found these auctions already, and then it's posted here (or back on Headwize when that was the only site around) and then someone would come in complaining about it.

I'm not bidding in the auction, by the way -- I'm just trying to point out something upon which numerous similar debates have grown before.

post-205561
Post #5 of 7

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Reaction score
There was a poll on this with a lot of responses. "Do post on Head-Fi" narrowly defeated "Don't post", so there is a lot of divided opinion on our forum about this.
Did I miss a moderator-decision to discourage notification posts?

post-205569
Post #6 of 7

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
There was a poll on this with a lot of responses. "Do post on Head-Fi" narrowly defeated "Don't post", so there is a lot of divided opinion on our forum about this.
Did I miss a moderator-decision to discourage notification posts?

i too recall the poll, but no ending decision. of course, i feel it's rather scumbagish to plug your own auction too.. but either way, thanks for the notice, highwaystar.

[edit]: here are the vote results: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=ebay+auctions

post-205607
Post #7 of 7

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
First off, I'd just like to make it clear that this is not a discouragement by the moderators -- I just had understood (probably from Headwize rather than Head-Fi) that most members didn't think posting Ebay auctions was a good idea.

It looks like I may have been wrong -- I don't think I saw that thread you posted before. The only problem with that poll is that the issue at hand really is just auctions. If you alert people to a regular classified ad on audiogon or somewhere else, you're only helping everyone. If you hadn't posted or if someone found the ad before you posted, they could have bought the item already. And the argument that the best offer will go up seems pretty weak to me

I don't know about all this, but it seems that auctions that get posted on Head-Fi end up going to high prices -- namely, traditional market price or higher. The last time I remember there was a big battle over this was when somebody posted about an auction for the K1000 (would you imagine that), although back then the K1000 was not available in the US except from Headroom for $1200 + shipping.

Again, this is not a "moderator-decision" but just my perhaps-flawed memory of popular consensus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)