JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jan 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,486 of 1,936
^ some fxd70 love! Awesome :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,487 of 1,936
Quote:
^ some fxd70 love! Awesome :)

haha it's about time these babies paid off!
tongue_smile.gif

Seems like those JVC folks knew what they were doing with the stock tips for these, as funky as they look and all. Same goes for the stock pads on the S500s.
deadhorse.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,488 of 1,936
The S500s are my favorite pair of headphones at the moment so I figured I'd love these. I borrowed the FXD80s from a friend for a few days after about 150 hours of burn in and found the IEMs to be very sharp and cold. They are a little too bright for my taste. Since I love the S500s I'm still curious about the other models such as the 70s and 60s. Do they all have a sharp, bright, and cold sound signature?

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,490 of 1,936
Quote:
The S500s are my favorite pair of headphones at the moment so I figured I'd love these. I borrowed the FXD80s from a friend for a few days after about 150 hours of burn in and found the IEMs to be very sharp and cold. They are a little too bright for my taste. Since I love the S500s I'm still curious about the other models such as the 70s and 60s. Do they all have a sharp, bright, and cold sound signature?

From your impressions of the FXD80s as well as from all the others i have read, it seems that this FXD line has that classic JVC house sound; meaning high extended treble with a more colder "linear" bass sound. But that 150 hours of burn-in on your friends set HA! I have been burning these for months now and have completely loss track of the hours, but knowing these stiff carbon nano tubes they require at least 200hrs to just probably sound "right."

These FXD70 sound more "cold" and more balanced than the Sony MH1Cs. With the stock tips they have a more "audiophile" quality sound to them due to the mid-centric nature of their sound as compared to the more bassy "commercial" sound, hence "warmer" nature of the MH1Cs.

Quote:
What tips are best for fxd80?

Can't speak for the FXD80s but i use to think the auvio tips from radio shack were the best cuz they "opened up" their sound due to the wider tip "bore"/ opening. It turns out that they opened up the sound wayyy too much making them sound thin/ bright and metallic so i went back to stock tips and found they sounded best with my FXD70s.

But it seems like these FXDs are very tip dependent and i was able to get lots of variations in sound when i was tip rolling, so try out all the tips you have and see which ones sound the best to you. It doesn't hurt a thing to try it all out anyways................

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,491 of 1,936
I forgot to share this earlier but I loaned my pair to Inks awhile back an he sent them back to me with filters on the nozzles that you get from the Hifiman earphones.  I think the REO, RE262/272 come with them.  Not sure what you guys think about the treble region of this earphone (FXD70) but the filters tame it down some.  I never really had any issues with the FXD series but I do like it with the filters on.  The supplied tips seem to be the best for me as well.  

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,494 of 1,936
So the hifiman filters can be put on top of the fxd nozzle and stay put? Interested in doing that purely for protection, since the fxd grills are rather open.

Quote:
I forgot to share this earlier but I loaned my pair to Inks awhile back an he sent them back to me with filters on the nozzles that you get from the Hifiman earphones.  I think the REO, RE262/272 come with them.  Not sure what you guys think about the treble region of this earphone (FXD70) but the filters tame it down some.  I never really had any issues with the FXD series but I do like it with the filters on.  The supplied tips seem to be the best for me as well.  

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,496 of 1,936
For those of you using these with comply tips, how do you keep the ports from getting filled with ear crud? And once it's in there.. how do you remove it? I've tried digging it out with a pin but I'm pretty sure most of it is just getting pushed into the driver.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,498 of 1,936
Quote:
Sorry if I missed this, but is there a reliable place to buy/order the fxd80 in the US? Amazon only seems to have imports.

They are only sold in Jpn and some places in Asia so there are no US sellers for the FXD60/70/ or 80s. You will have to import them over if you want it new, or you can check the for sale forum here at head-fi for used pairs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #1,499 of 1,936
Quote:

The FXD80 and Sony EX600 are pretty good choices as new fish IEM's, I think with the Vsonic GR07 a new fish most likely won't appreciate the sound and should listen to the R04 or GR06 first.

There is an ancient Chinese proverb, "A music fan likes the bass, a music lover likes the highs, yet a true audiophile is into the mids".

Well the FXD80 has bass and highs lol.

I just read this and I can't agree more. That is the exact order I went in when I first started getting into headphones. Now I am obsessed with mids, I can thank the S500s for that.

I just bought the FX40s tonight because I saw them at a Frys (grocery store, not electronics) and was shocked. I'm listening to them right now and I like them more than what I've heard of the FXD80s. The pair I heard wasn't burnt in, but these are also right out of box. I like the mids and bass better on the FX40s for sure. The FXD80s are more refined, but are just too cold for me and the vocals sound distant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back