JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
May 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 1,936
4 criteria of diaphragm quality?

Hardness (harder is better)
Flexibility (more is better)
Weight (light is better)
...?

And TI figure out which is which.

Regardless... a car may have a V12 engine, but the outcome, how fast the car does a quarter mile or 0-60 is what matters.

May 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 1,936
subscribed
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 1,936
Carbon nanotubes? WAT. 

The industrial design looks like they are going head to head with Audio Technica's new IEM lol 

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 1,936
Quote:
4 criteria of diaphragm quality?
Hardness (harder is better)
Flexibility (more is better)
Weight (light is better)
...?
And TI figure out which is which.
Regardless... a car may have a V12 engine, but the outcome, how fast the car does a quarter mile or 0-60 is what matters.

Actually, I have a book ( "High Performance Loudspeakers" by Martin Colloms) which goes into this. It actually has a table that lists the material properties of a whole number of materials suitable for driver diaphragms, including Bextrane, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon fibre composite, Copper, Diamond, Magnesium, Wood, etc.

The science of it all is way over my head, but it specifically notes that:

While some degree of internal damping is desirable in a material or construction, if the loss is too high compared with the E value or stiffness factor the diaphragm might present a smooth frequency characteristic but show increased distortion. An additional effect with high-loss materials, hard to quantify, is a hysteresis phenomenon which subjectively appears to mask fine musical detail...
The values in [the table] can only be a guide since they refer to the properties in sheet form. When made up into practical diaphragm shapes additional factors play their part, such as geometry and self-damping, and the resulting performance cannot be fully determined from the material properties alone. 

I wish I could scan this stuff in but sadly can't get my scanner working atm, may try again later. But it lists the relevant figures as: Density (p), Young modolus (E), Specific modulus (E/p), Sonic Velocity ( Square root. (E/P), and the all important Q).

So essentially what it seems to suggest is that its a huge variety of factors and science that is far beyond what is actually provided in marketing materials. It repeatedly cites different manufacturers, particularly KEF's research in these fields. And this is just in regards to the material of the diaphragm - not the cone shape, voice coil, suspension, magnet, enclosure material, standing waves, diffraction due to enclosure shape, psychoacoustics, etc!

I don't know how this scales down to headphones but I'd imagine much the same, though probably they can experiment with more exotic materials / have greater challenges of miniaturisation.

If anyone is interested they perhaps might like to get a copy of the book :)

May 31, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #24 of 1,936
Subscribed. I love my FXT-90's, and have an affinity for the overall signature of the higher end JVC's. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

May 31, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 1,936
May 31, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #27 of 1,936
Didn't know this many people would be interested; anyways, carry on...

I'm intrigued by the fact it appears to be a(n arguably) more balanced, refined take on the FXT90.. which was definitely one of my favorite IEMs in recent memory.  Tame the FXT's (mid)bass down a touch, add some clarity to the mids and coax some sparkle from the treble.. and hopefully widen the soundstage.. then JVC has a winner on their hands (and worthy successor to the FXT90), IMO.

That's what I'm banking on & my appreciation for the FXT90 was enough to warrant an FXD80 pre-order.  Plus, they look badass.  I've never been a huge fan of micro drivers but it looks like JVC is doing some pretty cutting edge stuff here.. my wallet must oblige.

May 31, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 1,936
Micro-drivers are awesome because you insert them deep in your ear canal which results in the transducer being closer to your eardrum which results in a different presentation of sound which is quite intimate, good with electronic music etc.

Apart from all the science a_recording (thanks!) posted the driver position (angle), distance, and size are all important factors to take into account, perhaps curvature too.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #30 of 1,936
The FXD80 looks really nice, I like the styling of them a lot.  They use the same drivers like whats in the FXT90 but I hope they sound different because I'm not big on the sound signature of the FXT90.  JVC has stepped they're game up the past year or so and have some nice IEM's now and even though the FXT90 isn't for me I still respect its technical capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back