JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Jul 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,411 of 1,764

Quote:
^ Oh I agree, but in that case the IEMs are tuned for their narrow nozzle. The JVCs have a wider nozzle and the narrow hybrids mess with their tuning. One thing you can do though, is shorten the hybrid's stem so that their opening stretches a bit over the nozzle. Just my own 2c from experimenting with various tips on the FX700, others may well hear them differently.

Agreed.  In general I've found best results trying to bore match tips and nozzles.  Sometimes I'll try going a bit oversize on the bore just to see if I can massage a bit more air. extension and what not from the IEM.  It's when treble peaks hit me I think about maybe using more constricting tips.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,412 of 1,764
Yes the Atrio driver/housing was probably so bass-inclined that they might have put the long narrow nozzle on just to tame it a bit.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,414 of 1,764
Comply will degrade the treble (The FX700s come with foam tips anyways) and Klipsch tips have an even smaller bore than the Hybrids which won't work that well with these sonic wise. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #1,415 of 1,764
Lots of people actually enjoy these the most with UE silicone tips actually, from what I gather. Hybrids are more comfortable though. 

The smoke colored UE tips that come with TF10's are by FAR the most comfortable I've found on the JVC's. They are even softer than real hybrids. I only have one pair and was looking to buy backups and noticed UE only sells clear tips on their web site. At least that's what's pictured. Are they the same?

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,416 of 1,764
These are the best IEM I have listened to. The only IEM that I even am considering buying is the EX1000, but that's awhile off (until the price drops.)

For whatever reason, the bass these IEM produce makes my mouth water lol. These may actually tempt me to do a review; they are just so good!

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #1,418 of 1,764
I’ve done a lot of recent a/b’ing of the FX700 and the W4 to try and determine which is ‘better’ for my tastes and thought I’d share my notes.  All listening was done with a Nano 6g and digiZoid zo; Earsonics biflange tips on the W4 and UE tips on the FX700.  So how did it go?

Radney Foster: Godspeed
W4- Intimate vocals; slightly muffled acoustic guitars when strummed hard; can’t hear Radney’s lips part and close like on FX700; sounds like a recording versus live; midrange presented more correctly than JVC’s; note edges are too soft, lacks crispness
FX700- Vocals sound further away; acoustic guitar sounds deeper and yet brighter but clearer; more realistic sounding acoustic guitar; I can hear more vocal detail of lips parting, more delicate vibrato; sounds live but not close to performer; has V shaped signature but not missing details; edges of notes are very crisp
Winner: FX700

Wallflowers: One Headlight
W4- Romantic presentation; drums lacking snap of FX700; subdued steel guitar; electric guitars are more upfront; bass line can get lost in presentation
FX700- Very snappy drums with impact; steel guitar sounds more realistic with brighter edge; bass line has better definition, easier to follow; lacks romantic presentation and intimate vocals; better dynamics that W4
Winner: FX700

Black Label Society: Southern Dissolution
W4- Big kick drum impact; crunchy, upfront electric guitars; forward vocals but guitars even more forward; minimal, non bothersome sibilance (song has recorded sibilance); good cymbal details; guitar lead takes center stage; big, wide soundstage
FX700 – Mids sound sucked out!; more noticeable sibilance; less crunch on guitars; not as wide of a soundstage; sounds busier, less instrument separation, drums are harder to pin point; cymbals are somehow splashier but get lost in presentation; kicks go deeper than W4; lead less upfront, not presented accurately in depth of soundstage
Winner: W4

Iron Maiden: Can I Play with Madness
W4- great instrument separation and drum detail; wide soundstage; bass line can get lost in presentation; vocals upfront and center
FX700- good but not great instrument separation (more organic sounding), slightly less drum detail; wide soundstage; more prominent bass line; guitars are not as upfront as W4

Van Halen: Everybody Wants Some!
W4- Wide soundstage; nice crunch to Eddie’s guitars; great detail on drums; bass guitar doesn’t sounds as deep as it should harder to follow than FX700 but plenty of texture; Dave’s vocals are front and center; sounds a good deal closer to stage than FX700
FX700- Wide soundstage but maybe just a little smaller than W4; good crunch to guitars but a little further back in presentation; bass guitar sounds deep and textured, easy to follow, better presented than W4; drums aren’t as detailed;  Dave sounds further way than on W4; sounds like I’m 20 rows or so back in audience

Styx: Queen of Spades
W4- Wide and deep soundstage for intro; excellent separation and details; vocals upfront and center; backing vocals sound behind and to the sides of lead vocals as they should; lead guitar upfront; very realistic drums and can clearly hear every run; ending bass line has good texture but not dynamic like FX700
FX700- Opening guitars sound brighter more accurate; vocals further away but more detail, can hear individual breaths; slightly smaller soundstage in width but just as deep as W4; bass guitar sounds excellent in texture, placement and volume; drums not as defined as W4, less separation and runs sound more blended; this is the most upfront the guitars and vocals have been for the FX700 in this comparison, on par with W4; more dynamic sounding presentation than W4; kicks sound deeper and more impact than W4; ending bass line is excellently textured, very deep and engaging
Winner: Tie

Acoustic Guitar – FX700
Bass Guitar – FX700
Electric Guitar – W4
Steel Guitar – FX700
Vocals – TIE (presented in placement better with W4 but better detail with FX700)
Drums – W4 (better separation and detail with W4 but kicks sound better/deeper with FX700)
Soundstage – W4

No real winner here.  Each have their strengths and weaknesses but overall are pretty equally matched. 

Edit: After more listening for enjoyment and not comparing, I had forgotten how great the FX700's are for low volume listening. With that, they are the winners for me and it's time to sell the W4's.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,421 of 1,764
I was reviewing the frequency response graphs Inks posted a while back for the 700's and 500's and decided to play around with eq. I added some low sub bass (like 500's and no need for the zo) and removed just a bit mid bass and added some db's around 1k. I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested. It's still a work in progress.

Using Equalizer on iPhone 4:
6000hz, 0db, Q=0
3500hz, -1db, Q=1
1000hz, 2db, Q=1.5
475hz, -1db, Q=.5
175hz, -1db, Q=.5
45hz, 6db, Q=1

If anyone has something better or different, please share.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,422 of 1,764
Quote:
will there be anyone interested in buying FX700

Yes, me. All this EX1000 got me excited to replace my dynamic HJE900. However, looking at the comparisons, I'm pretty sure I will prefer the FX700. I will buy them in China next month for as low as 195 € new. Great price!

One question though: is the isolation bad or non-existent? Is it possible to use these on a train? If not, doesn't matter. I want them anyway. :D

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,425 of 1,764
Hey, dfkt! Long time no see. :)

I never found an head-/earphone to replace the HJE900 you recommended me, based on my love for the HFI-780! Now the time has finally come with the FX700, haha!
I just found this in shotgun's impressions:
"Isolation isn’t as bad as some have expressed but it’s not great either.  Actually these are perfect for an office atmosphere where you may need to hear the phone ringing; that is if you are not so engrossed in the music you miss it anyway.  Oops, just missed a phone call."

I'll be using them mostly in my very quiet apartment and at work, so that should suffice. Thanks, I can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back