JVC SU-AX7 - new portable headphone amp/dac
Dec 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #32 of 45
I was hoping they were using the K2 chip from a long time ago.  It was based on what they learned in XRCD processing.  Hard to find those chips nowadays.  Similar tech that goes
into Reimyo units.

May 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 45
Had one for 6 month or so now.
This pretty looking gear was a bit of a disapointment to me.
First, there is a quite audible noise (ground perhaps) in the earphones that i havn'nt with my sources.
Second, the sound signature is to warm to my taste, not enough neutral. I've Got the jvc hfx 1200/1100 iem, which is already in the warm side of the curve, and both together isn't warm anymore but almost dark.
That is unfortunate since they ´ve been marketed in order to match together, or at least that's how i understood it.

I can't really compare with any other portable amp as it is my one and only at the moment. Got a teac on it's way right now so i'll be abble to compare it in few days.

iem: jvc hfx1200 - shure se846 - rha t20 - noble k10c - sennheiser ie8, ie80, ie60
Sources: ipod 6th gen - ak 120 titan - ak 240ss

May 23, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #37 of 45
Has anyone tried the su-ax7 with the hp-dx1000? 
i'm thinking about getting this headphone amp and use it with my cd player (technics sl-ps670d). my main headphone is hp-dx1000.
would you recommend it in an environment like that? 

May 25, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #38 of 45
Has anyone tried the su-ax7 with the hp-dx1000? 
i'm thinking about getting this headphone amp and use it with my cd player (technics sl-ps670d). my main headphone is hp-dx1000.
would you recommend it in an environment like that? 
I have the amp amd and jave only used it a handful of times, o havwnt paired it with your asking but imo its a good amp for sure! Be sure to see mine in the classifieds soon!

May 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #39 of 45
Had one for 6 month or so now.
This pretty looking gear was a bit of a disapointment to me.
First, there is a quite audible noise (ground perhaps) in the earphones that i havn'nt with my sources.
Second, the sound signature is to warm to my taste, not enough neutral. I've Got the jvc hfx 1200/1100 iem, which is already in the warm side of the curve, and both together isn't warm anymore but almost dark.
That is unfortunate since they ´ve been marketed in order to match together, or at least that's how i understood it.

I can't really compare with any other portable amp as it is my one and only at the moment. Got a teac on it's way right now so i'll be abble to compare it in few days.

iem: jvc hfx1200 - shure se846 - rha t20 - noble k10c - sennheiser ie8, ie80, ie60
Sources: ipod 6th gen - ak 120 titan - ak 240ss

popcorn.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 45
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201607/30/39304.html

It seems like the development of JVC's SU-AX7 successor is complete. They have dual-3.5mm balanced connectivity (Think Sony PHA-3). JVC also demoed a dual balanced cable that will launch later this year. I'm guessing the setup was that one amp had "K2" turned on, and the other did not, and people reported on their impressions with the audio. Google chrome translation:

Portable audio-related events "portable audio Study Group (Pota Labs)" of Fujiya er big organized, was kicked off in Tokyo and Nakano Sun Plaza 15th floor on July 30. In this paper, JVC Kenwood, which showed off such as a portable amplifier under development, reports the Denon of D & M Holdings, the successor model 3 models and reference exhibition of "AH-C710" booth.

JVC Kenwood JVC Kenwood, reference exhibited a portable headphone amplifier that they complete the current development. Side-by-side two that different of tuning, had solicited opinions from visitors compared to listen to.

What has been reference also exhibited in the previous Pota Research, which was held in February ( related news in), "high-end model that corresponds to the DSD and balance drive" (company staff) and things. DSD is details such as whether to support up to specifically what level not yet been clarified. Micro USB for the Android smart phone in addition to the usual USB, also, such as Lightning terminal for iPhone equipment. It will be able to widely used in such as a smartphone, not only audio player.

In addition, the headphones as "SIGNA" of the "WOOD" "CLASS-S" product Li cable also reference exhibitors to balance corresponding, and "WOOD earphone". It was also revealed that has developed a dedicated three models, respectively. It was that of that aims to launch later this year in both the re-cable and the above-mentioned Potaan

Pictures are at Phileweb.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #43 of 45
Bumping this old thread to ask a very noob question.

Is it fine to keep this device plugged in charging while listening to music? I dont plan on using this device as a portable dac, just using it for my cd player.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #44 of 45
Bumping this old thread to ask a very noob question.

Is it fine to keep this device plugged in charging while listening to music? I dont plan on using this device as a portable dac, just using it for my cd player.

Newly developed high intensity mode achieves even higher sound quality when external power is supplied​

Equipped with a newly developed high intensity mode that switches to a dedicated power supply when an external power supply is connected. The reproducibility of minute music signals has been improved, making it possible to express music more delicately and clearly.
* Since sufficient power supply is required, use a 2.1A (2.4A) adapter (commercially available) compatible with iPad and the USB cable attached to the main unit.
 It automatically switches to high intensity mode when in use.
Source: https://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/headphone-amp/su-ax01/

Plugging in the amp enables what JVC calls "high intensity mode" (indicated by the blue light), which supplies more power to headphones and earphones, and it still continues to charge. Basically, it was designed to be used while plugged in. So you'll get fantastic sound if you have a dual 3.5mm balanced out cable to connect. Hopefully they'll last you a good while though they've been on the market for a long time and battery capacity will have depleted some. The JEITA standard (4.5mm) has since seen wide adoption and effectively replaced the 2.5mm and dual 3.5mm balanced outputs.

I used mine all the time at work until I dropped it and damaged it back in 2019. I replaced it with a Sony PHA-3, which had battery issues later down the road.

I've since purchased a Walkman WM1A, which can output 250mW (besting the JVC's 220mW) on battery power, though I use a Walkman ZX507 as my daily driver.

IMG_4537.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #45 of 45
Can’t say enough how good my SU AX07 is, blind purchase - but so far one of the most musical Dac/amps I’ve heard.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    997.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0578.jpeg
    IMG_0578.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back