JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #541 of 663
Can someone maybe compare these to the westone um50? I'm looking for something a little different to go along with the um50. Would these just be a side step or a down grade? I've always loved a dynamic Earphone and have used pretty much only BA'S or a hybrid.thanks and happy listening .

I once owned the Um pro50 (ie. twice) and I love them so much. Compared to the UM pro50, the FW01 has  bigger images overall, a (lot)bigger soundstage, sound darker than the Um pro50 (even though the Um pro 50 is a very smooth iems) . The bass of the FW01 is as punchy as the Umpro50, but reach deeper and has more body. 
If I  do not wrongly remember, I think the Mid of the Um pro50 is a little bit more forward than the the FW01. Overall to my ear, the FW01 sound better than the UMpro50 and i would say it's an upgrade more or less.
But what did you mean by word "something a little different" how little is it ? :p

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #542 of 663

Well, I did the front vent mod on mine (silicone strips underneath tips) to decrease bass / warmth a bit, and that makes them a great match with any neutral source.

good tip, indeed  

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #543 of 663
I recommend you the FW01 wholeheartedly, recently I sold the Vega and bought the FW01, because after all I still havnt found the perfect iems to my taste and in my price bracket (K10,U12,Vega,Andromedra,tralucent ref1too all have theirs week points for my taste (sonically), Layla,Zeus (price)). That's why I choose the most enjoyable one with the most reasonable price, I plan to buy a fullsize can such as HEK or cheap secondhand ED8 instead of TOTL IEMs. By the way when paired with the Uber cable, I say to myself  why I have to pay more for those TOTLs (I bought the secondhand  Uber cable cheaply)  The FW01's sound  is as James444 described, even paired with a very reveal source such as Questyle QP1R, they still sound smooth without listening fatigue. The word "more audiphile" is only used when compared to the FX1100 (FX1200 in my case). 
If you want my honest opinion, I would say I like the FW01 more than Akt8ie MKII (I used to own), I don't find the K10 sound much better (I used to own the custom one), K10 is although superior to the FW01 almost across the board, but I would say the different is not much , FW01 has a more punchier bass than the U12 (I sold them already) and I can't stand the Vega and andromedra (very good iems, indeed, but I cant listen to them for long hours). 

FW01 may not offers the soundstage like U12 or andromedra or the bass and detail like K10 or Vega and etc., but it's just right to my ear and my wallet, if you love neutral to smooth organic(dark) iems, FW01 is a good choice. If you like andromedra or iems with treble energy I've found Ibasso IT03 is even  a better choice than the FW01 (even cheaper than the FW01). 

The FW01's only problem for me is wearing them, it is not the most comfortable one for sure, if you have a chance to try them, please do it, because even it is easier to wear than the FX1100, but it's still behind many other iems out there.

cheers

I agree with your observations on the 01s. Truly wonderful sound without breaking the bank, and exquisitely built.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #544 of 663
  I recommend you the FW01 wholeheartedly, recently I sold the Vega and bought the FW01, because after all I still havnt found the perfect iems to my taste and in my price bracket (K10,U12,Vega,Andromedra,tralucent ref1too all have theirs week points for my taste (sonically), Layla,Zeus (price)). That's why I choose the most enjoyable one with the most reasonable price, I plan to buy a fullsize can such as HEK or cheap secondhand ED8 instead of TOTL IEMs. By the way when paired with the Uber cable, I say to myself  why I have to pay more for those TOTLs (I bought the secondhand  Uber cable cheaply)  The FW01's sound  is as James444 described, even paired with a very reveal source such as Questyle QP1R, they still sound smooth without listening fatigue. The word "more audiphile" is only used when compared to the FX1100 (FX1200 in my case). 
If you want my honest opinion, I would say I like the FW01 more than Akt8ie MKII (I used to own), I don't find the K10 sound much better (I used to own the custom one), K10 is although superior to the FW01 almost across the board, but I would say the different is not much , FW01 has a more punchier bass than the U12 (I sold them already) and I can't stand the Vega and andromedra (very good iems, indeed, but I cant listen to them for long hours). 

FW01 may not offers the soundstage like U12 or andromedra or the bass and detail like K10 or Vega and etc., but it's just right to my ear and my wallet, if you love neutral to smooth organic(dark) iems, FW01 is a good choice. If you like andromedra or iems with treble energy I've found Ibasso IT03 is even  a better choice than the FW01 (even cheaper than the FW01). 

The FW01's only problem for me is wearing them, it is not the most comfortable one for sure, if you have a chance to try them, please do it, because even it is easier to wear than the FX1100, but it's still behind many other iems out there.

cheers

I agree with your observations on the 01s. Truly wonderful sound without breaking the bank, and exquisitely built.

Well you guys aren't making this very easy now are you 
smily_headphones1.gif

I was drooling at the $199 price of the FX1100 from @jwbrent and hadn't really planned on $450 for the newer model! 

If I am understanding peoples' thoughts correctly, the FX1100 may have more bass impact and quantity, while the FW01 has more forward (but higher quality) mids and treble? I guess I sort of prefer a somewhat V-shaped sound signature, but not totally absent mids. I LOVE deep sub-bass and punchy mid-bass. I also appreciate at least a neutral and not rolled off treble presence. Would the recommendation for me still be the FW01? Thanks folks!

-Collin-

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #545 of 663

Well you guys aren't making this very easy now are you 
smily_headphones1.gif

I was drooling at the $199 price of the FX1100 from @jwbrent and hadn't really planned on $450 for the newer model! 

If I am understanding peoples' thoughts correctly, the FX1100 may have more bass impact and quantity, while the FW01 has more forward (but higher quality) mids and treble? I guess I sort of prefer a somewhat V-shaped sound signature, but not totally absent mids. I LOVE deep sub-bass and punchy mid-bass. I also appreciate at least a neutral and not rolled off treble presence. Would the recommendation for me still be the FW01? Thanks folks!

-Collin-

Hi Collin,

If the extra $250 is no matter to you, then get FW01s, they are better for those who want tonal accuracy. However, if you generally prefer a V shaped sound, then you'll love the 1100s. Yes, the huge bass performance of the 1100s does encroach on the lower mids giving them a warmish quality, but the mids are still nicely portrayed.

It's really hard to make a choice based on other's observations, especially with IEMs due to the anatomical differences in each of our ears, so at some point ya just have to try them out for yourself and hope for the best. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #546 of 663
I began a thread on the FW01 with my observations so far ...

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #550 of 663
Have any of you guys tried Spinfit tips on your 1200?

I'm sick of wearing through comply, and they're so spendy. What are your favorite tips. Ideally for a deep secure fit.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #552 of 663

I, on the contrary, love the spinfits, but these are really tight for the FX1100 and you need to use some force and effort to lodge them in the IEM. I wouldn't risk too much pressure on the plastic stem. Still I tried, and found that spin fits don't go well with FX woodies.
I use a short stem tip with wide bore (shorter stem and wider opening than the spiral dots)- seems to tame the bass a bit, and open it for more details.
Comply also, to me, makes the woodies more bassy - I wouldn't want that.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #553 of 663
I, on the contrary, love the spinfits, but these are really tight for the FX1100 and you need to use some force and effort to lodge them in the IEM. I wouldn't risk too much pressure on the plastic stem. Still I tried, and found that spin fits don't go well with FX woodies.
I use a short stem tip with wide bore (shorter stem and wider opening than the spiral dots)- seems to tame the bass a bit, and open it for more details.
Comply also, to me, makes the woodies more bassy - I wouldn't want that.

Interesting. I tried the SpinFits out today at the local shop and they come in two stem sizes. Normal and wide. The wide ones fit the JVC perfectly, I thought. I was debating between those or the JVC spiral dot tips, but ended up buying neither. Wanted to hear some opinions first.

Maybe I'll snag a pair of SpinFits and give them a run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back