JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Aug 19, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #406 of 663

If a company doesn't send them free stuff they don't review it.

That's totally not true, for my site at least I can't speak for the others. You would be surprised if you saw my yearly post office bill just for sending back gear 
frown.gif
 And then there's the bill for packaging, import duties, administrative costs, etc.
It's not as lollipop and rainbows as you think.

The main problem is JVC only promote this series in their home country Japan, while big region such as US, Europe, their subsidiary office not really focus much into audiophile range, hence you see not many reviews in this region. 

It's simply impossible to get any samples from those kind of companies. And on top of that it also is impossible to keep up with the IEM market.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #407 of 663

All of the wooden JVC IEMs have way too much bass and sound congested in the low range when compared to better balanced phones. However, if you compare treble, you'll see that detail resolution in the highs is very competitive. That means the JVC drivers aren't inferior per se, but the tuning makes them sound inferior.

I've posted instructions in the FX850 threads on how these (and the FX1100) can be modified to drastically improve their tuning. To my ears, the modified FX850 and FX1100 sound easily as good as my K3003, if not better.

Unscrew the brass back plug:

Insert cotton into the chamber and tune the bass.

Unscrew the back brass plug and open the body, insert cotton into the chamber.  I can unscrew it with my fingers, this avoids damaging the brass plug.  You can fine tune the bass amount and characteristics to certain degree, it is easier and more controllable than the straw method.  The more cotton I put in there, the amount of bass is reduced and the mid-high portion of the sound spectrum will be more forward.  This does not change the basic sound characteristics, but musically, I can feel the difference.  When I fill it and push the cotton tight inside, the bass is a little bit less than what I would like, but still very present, at the end of several try and error, I put enough cotton inside to fill about 1/2 of the chamber.  Screw it back then there you go.  Nice and easy, no harm can be done there.  I have not try other type of materials since cotton is handy and I use it to tune my speakers all the time, the results are very acceptable.  You can find the front portion of the chamber is already filled with cotton anyway.  This method can be applied to FX1100/1200 also.

I use mostly live recordings to get the right feel of the sound in the tuning process. 

I have not tried but I think I can completely block the vent if I want to, but I don't know if that is what I want.

To my feeling, it is like tuning the bass characteristics in the bass reflect speaker boxes by filling materials inside.

This is fun because now I can easily tuning the sound stage, presence and bass characteristics.

Does not hurt to try, since you can always take the cotton you inside and put the plug back, undo all changes, not hurt can be done.

This is a really nice IEM, the basic sound characteristics are great, that makes the tuning more fun.

I am listening to my end results now and I really enjoys the sound going into my ears now, just the right amount of everything...

Best part, you cannot void the warranty since it can be undone and no traces are there, ha ha.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #411 of 663
Some of you might remember me a few weeks (months?) back asking if these would be suitable for the gym.

Welp, despite the warnings, I used these every day to and from work, and at the gym as well. And yesterday it seems the left earbud was fried. I tried a different cable to no avail :frowning2: 

Anyone know of something with similar sound quality that's more durable for the gym?

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #412 of 663
Expensive lesson learnt there hopefully. I know from experience, don't use expensive headphones at the Gym. Just don't Unless they're specifically designed for that use and even then most don't last long.It's a reason why I'm using VE Monk Plus for my Gym sessions.

Not sure what the warranty policies are but perhaps it's covered and you can still get them fixed?

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #413 of 663
  Expensive lesson learnt there hopefully. I know from experience, don't use expensive headphones at the Gym. Just don't Unless they're specifically designed for that use and even then most don't last long.It's a reason why I'm using VE Monk Plus for my Gym sessions.

Not sure what the warranty policies are but perhaps it's covered and you can still get them fixed?

Yeah, lesson learned. I tried to minimize the damage every day by wearing my apple earpods for cardio sessions, and I only wore the JVC when I trained weights...so not a lot of sweat.

But in the end, Japan is so darn humid, and they probably never had the chance to dry out sufficiently in this humid summer weather, along with a bit of sweat. 

I just ordered some Vsonic Gr07 bass edition cause I rememeber I used to enjoy those, and they're relatively inexpensive and plastic. So hopefully those are better suited.

I'll look into warranty options in the morning.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #415 of 663

Similar detail resolution, but imo more realistic timbre with vocals and acoustic instruments. What's so shocking about that?

Not quite what I would use to describe the K3003. My recollection of them are quite the opposite. I wouldn't say they have realisitic timbre, as some instruments ie. cello lacks some realistic heft to it and vocals can get anemic and the treble feels artificially extended versus the FX1200's more full-bodied sound and sweet highs. That is using the reference filter.

Bass filter improves quite a lot of things but it still has a rather artificial treble spike IMO. Didn't even bother to put on the treble filter.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #420 of 663
  Hm, heard rumours that the FX1200/1100 are being discontinue'd by JVC. Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps someone from Japan or vendors?

I really doubt that. They were just pushing them pretty hard at my local Yodobashi Camera shop a couple months back, passing out flyers for seminars etc. I cannot see them discontinue something so popular.

What's your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back