JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Apr 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #1,171 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, these are pretty horrible for portable use. They are really big, and really heavy, not to mention they look a bit silly.

Have seen several people around my town wearing full sized cans. I assume they're (mostly) students from the local university.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,172 of 1,224
It's been a while since I posted here. I sold off my setup (HD650s, K701s, tube amps, etc) and up until now have been very content w/my PK3s out of my laptop (sound great!) I recently needed to pick up a set of headphones for use while practicing my bass through the laptop. Obviously, I went back to good ol' Head-Fi for some advice on inexpensive over the ears - and found this thread.

Bottom line - these are a very nice set of headphones for about 33 dollars (Amazon/Buy.com) right out of the box. Nothing absolutely spectacular or world beating, but a very good set of cans out of my laptop! The sound is quite balanced and clear. They do get a bit congested when pushed, but for normal volumes relatively clear and pleasant, leaning a bit to the warm side. These don't have much soundstage so far, but I have learned that soundstage is (for me) a quest reserved for speakers. Quite comfortable too - a little warmth around the ears but nothing miserable.

Thanks all!

SL

May 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #1,173 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep these things are pretty freaking heavy haha.

anyone know a good alternative to these?

Starting to push my glasses into my head (cant wear very long).
Bury nose piece into my nose.
Heavy!!!

Looking for headphones for gaming / hiphop/rock music

thanks

May 30, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,174 of 1,224
If there's anyone looking for them cheap, newegg has the rx700s now for 29.99 plus 2.99 shipping.

Got these as a suggestion from a friend who used them to replace his dead d1000s(EDIT: think I was wrong on that but I know they were Denons) and I love them...even more than my plantronics gamecom777 which I find to have no trace of lows.  I'm about ready to sell that headset if I could only find a nice mic(not usb) since that's all I've been using it for lately.  Can't say much about the rx700s since I'm semi new to the hifi world, and by that I mean mostly sound of headphones since I've been into quality music files for a while.  Man this thread is long too, still only on page 59.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,175 of 1,224
I finally finished all 79 pages of this thread, whew.

Only mod I did was the padding mod, and I honestly love them after that.  Especially since they don't feel circumaural at all until it's done, plus I like the extra sound stage it adds.  I honestly don't think they look that weird for wearing in public.  I'd probably get a lot more looks wearing my gamecom777.  I actually brought this to my college classes all this past semester.  Since I had about an hour between 2 classes I'd listen to them on my zune hd and never really got any weird looks.  I used them because ever since I got this plantronics headset(before my 777) http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9f/e4/a4f5828fd7a02b9b31d55110.L.jpg I have loved the comfort circumaural phones give.  Though that headset is honestly the most comfortable pair I've ever felt in my life, it felt almost as though nothing was on your head.
moz-screenshot.png

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #1,176 of 1,224
By the way I'm curious does the bass for the rx700 increase a lot with use of an amp(w/o EQ)?

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #1,177 of 1,224

Quote:
By the way I'm curious does the bass for the rx700 increase a lot with use of an amp(w/o EQ)?

yes- the rx700 responds a lot to a little amping, also to eq-ing + amp. little dot tube amps make the rx700 pound with bass, thought they respond well to just about anything

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #1,182 of 1,224
RX700s R.I.P.

They appear to have been discontinued.

The RX900s have not, however.

I guess that makes my decision a bit easier... Still curious about leakage from the "semi-open" 900s... How is it? Much worse than the 700s? Noticeable? Suitable for a dorm setting? Library? etc.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #1,183 of 1,224

Quote:
RX700s R.I.P.

They appear to have been discontinued.

The RX900s have not, however.

I guess that makes my decision a bit easier... Still curious about leakage from the "semi-open" 900s... How is it? Much worse than the 700s? Noticeable? Suitable for a dorm setting? Library? etc.

If you plat the 900 at reasonable volume it leaks very little. I use them for my younger daughter when we do not want to hear her music. Good cans for the money and for the price very musical. Hell for 59.00 bucks shipped a steal.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #1,185 of 1,224
The JVC HA-RX 700 and HA-RX 900 are not discontinued they are still listed under the full-size headphones in JVC's website. I don't think they are going to be discontinued anytime soon.

P.S.  Readily available at Newegg.com and Amazon.com, I believe the HA-RX 700's are actually world beaters with proper amplification. These headphones have to be grabbed and held onto to get past the overall dark SQ but it can be done, you can PM me for further info. Happy Listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back