JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #4,636 of 4,826
With me stuck at home, I finally completed the Bi-amped JVC SZ1K headphone. Original headband broke and retrofitted Audeze headband. The cheapo Rolls crossover works nicely. RSA F35 for midbass and up. RSA SR71B for the subs. Using the tiny DDhifi Dac. Another cool way to enjoy this beast headphone.

89873019_1312722005586030_538371715307143168_o.jpg
89922448_1312766478914916_3049611562537975808_o.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #4,637 of 4,826
With me stuck at home, I finally completed the Bi-amped JVC SZ1K headphone. Original headband broke and retrofitted Audeze headband. The cheapo Rolls crossover works nicely. RSA F35 for midbass and up. RSA SR71B for the subs. Using the tiny DDhifi Dac. Another cool way to enjoy this beast headphone.

Mad scientist right here! you are very skilled, but please don't go to the airport like this

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #4,638 of 4,826

89873019_1312722005586030_538371715307143168_o.jpg89922448_1312766478914916_3049611562537975808_o.jpg

This is awesome, I would love to re-cable my SZ2K with connects on each side so it could work with all my balanced sources.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #4,639 of 4,826
This is awesome, I would love to re-cable my SZ2K with connects on each side so it could work with all my balanced sources.
Well the stock cable does have 4 conductors, so you can reterminate the stock connector. I have done this to my SZ2K, to a 3.5mm TRRS. The stock cable on the SZ2K is silver plated and it's good stuff, which is why I didn't bother swapping that cable out.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #4,640 of 4,826
Hello everyone, its been awhile, I'm sure some of you wonder where I been. Well, obviously the whole country is under a quarantine situation due to Covid-19, so I am sure many are not having some good days lately. But unfortunately, Covid-19 is not the only form of struggle around...

So as an owner of the JVC SZ 1000E's, for 4-years, I think you all know what I am about to say. Yep, you guessed it, my right ear cup has snapped at the hinge. So yeah, the struggle is real folks. Yes I know that some have been able to fix this by printing a 3D part, but I don't have a 3D printer, so for now, I just have the cup duct taped, and no, obviously the ear cup is not sealing to my head as good as it used to. I had somebody recommend the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's, cause they have 50mm drivers, and are supposed to be close to the quality of sound we get from the JVC's. Its neat that they come with a detachable cable. But I don't like the look of the weak hinges, but they might be ok?

EDIT: OK, I did some research and found out that these Vmoda Crossfade LP2's are built like a tank! That hinge only looks fragile, but that sucker is made of metal! According to reviewers, they sound really good, have deep bass reproduction. And unlike the JVC's which muddy up the highs requiring EQ to fix, the Vmoda's don't drop the high frequencies. I have ordered the Vmoda's, as well as a pair of higher quality leather replacement pads for them. You can also customize them with different color shield plates for the side, but for $25.00 a pair, thats a novelty I don't feel pouring money into.
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-lp2

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #4,641 of 4,826
So as an owner of the JVC SZ 1000E's, for 4-years, I think you all know what I am about to say. Yep, you guessed it, my right ear cup has snapped at the hinge. So yeah, the struggle is real folks. Yes I know that some have been able to fix this by printing a 3D part, but I don't have a 3D printer, so for now, I just have the cup duct taped, and no, obviously the ear cup is not sealing to my head as good as it used to. I had somebody recommend the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's, cause they have 50mm drivers, and are supposed to be close to the quality of sound we get from the JVC's. Its neat that they come with a detachable cable. But I don't like the look of the weak hinges, but they might be ok?

That's sad to hear that your SZ' snapped, there is services that make 3d prints using your scheme files, with wide material selection, like this , maybe you still can save your SZ's :)
I'm thinking to print some parts beforehand, to be ready when inevitable happens.

Mine are still around and kicking from 2014 with HA-MR55X pads, never folded them, I keep them on hook with soft material on it.
I have some questions though, switched to speaker setup for many years, got out of headphone game for a while, only using SZ to get what I can't get from a speakers in a apartment setup :frowning2:

IMG_20200416_102610.jpg

Headband leather peeled off, everything else is still fine. I'm wondering if guys that rewrap car steering wheels with real leather will be willing to do it with headphones, going to ask around.

This is post back my post from 2014, with paper test, Sony NWZ player + E12 amp, if anyone is interested how much pressure it can create with that kind of setup

It seems there is still no headphones to compare with them in bass section (good for me, I don't need another pair of cans).
My Fiio E12 died, and I'm in search of desktop amp (became too old to run around with SZ on my head).
Can anyone advise which amps should I look for? After reading this thread and doing little bit of research, it seems Schiit Magni 3 Heresy would be good one for price\performance ratio, any other contenders? Also, anyone compared HA-MR55x pads with Alpha pads\HM5 pads side to side? I had HM5 pads with faux leather, and I didn't like them compared to 55x pads.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #4,642 of 4,826
We live in a planned obsolescence world, where nothing lasts for long. There was a time when companies made solid products, because they had pride in their products then. Now their business model is GREED influenced.

Take your Fiio E12 for example, that was a top of the line headphone amp for its time, and should not have failed on you. The Fiio A5 is the amp that replaced it, and its the amp that I have, and I love it. If you are looking for sheer portability, the Fiio A5 has a power output of 1W at 16 OHMS, and is a solid amp to go with. If your going to be using the can's at home only, then the Schiit Magni 3 should be an excellent choice, I think they have a power output of like 3W, which is a ton for any set of can's honestly.

If you get the Magni 3, just be careful with it, you can easily toast small driver headphones. Take IEM's for example, most only need like 400MW!

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #4,643 of 4,826
We live in a planned obsolescence world, where nothing lasts for long. There was a time when companies made solid products, because they had pride in their products then. Now their business model is GREED influenced.

Take your Fiio E12 for example, that was a top of the line headphone amp for its time, and should not have failed on you. The Fiio A5 is the amp that replaced it, and its the amp that I have, and I love it. If you are looking for sheer portability, the Fiio A5 has a power output of 1W at 16 OHMS, and is a solid amp to go with. If your going to be using the can's at home only, then the Schiit Magni 3 should be an excellent choice, I think they have a power output of like 3W, which is a ton for any set of can's honestly.

If you get the Magni 3, just be careful with it, you can easily toast small driver headphones. Take IEM's for example, most only need like 400MW!

I still have my Fiio E07k amp\DAC, which is alive and running for portable\IEM amplification, so I think Magni would be better option in my case :) . Speaking of planned obsolescence, E07k screen started to wash out and died completely 2 years ago, not a big deal, i do not use bass\treble boost on it, and I still can turn volume up\down via mechanical buttons, but this is just sad :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #4,644 of 4,826
Hi guys, I managed to design my own JVC HA-SZ2000 hinges in fusion 360 and 3d print with simple PLA. Works great, I am happy to share with anyone interested repairing!
I used 3mm machine screws because I had them laying around and I don't really care how these headphones look as long as they give me bass. It turned out not so ugly anyway. Have a look :) It should be possible to use screws with smaller heads and paint them black, but I was too lazy. Please share if you end up using this design or making it better.

You can download my fusion 360 project here. Export both bodies to .stl and experiment printing. You may need to do minor changes, but this design worked for me after 3 iterations.

3dHinge.png

hinge2.jpg

Edit: I positioned parts and printed like this in Cura slicer (not sure if this is the best way of doing it as I am new to 3d printing, but it worked)
cura.PNG

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #4,645 of 4,826
Hi guys, I managed to design my own JVC HA-SZ2000 hinges in fusion 360 and 3d print with simple PLA. Works great, I am happy to share with anyone interested repairing!
I used 3mm machine screws because I had them laying around and I don't really care how these headphones look as long as they give me bass. It turned out not so ugly anyway. Have a look :) It should be possible to use screws with smaller heads and paint them black, but I was too lazy. Please share if you end up using this design or making it better.

You can download my fusion 360 project here. Export both bodies to .stl and experiment printing. You may need to do minor changes, but this design worked for me after 3 iterations.

3dHinge.png
hinge2.jpg

Edit: I positioned parts and printed like this in Cura slicer (not sure if this is the best way of doing it as I am new to 3d printing, but it worked)
cura.PNG
This is awesome! Thanks for posting, really appreciate it.
Looking forward to trying it out soon (when i fix my printer)

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #4,646 of 4,826

Wow that's really cool of you to share the project file. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I'm sure this came up in this thread at one point and the guy was not willing to share :frowning2:
So I take it that both of your hinges were broken? I'm half considering doing this even though my headphones are basically brand new. Keep the original hinges in top shape in case I ever sell (doubtful!) lol. Thanks again!

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #4,647 of 4,826
Wow that's really cool of you to share the project file. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I'm sure this came up in this thread at one point and the guy was not willing to share :frowning2:
So I take it that both of your hinges were broken? I'm half considering doing this even though my headphones are basically brand new. Keep the original hinges in top shape in case I ever sell (doubtful!) lol. Thanks again!

I've been a frequent contributor, as well as viewer, to this thread. And I can confirm that you are absolutely right. This was done before, and the file was not shared. I think he offered to share it via email, but there is no need when it could just be uploaded as an attachment to the message board instead. Mine snapped at the lower pivoting hinge point for the ear cups. I figured when this whole business with Covid-19 goes away, (if it ever does) I would maybe sell my JVC's. Cause even though its technically broken, everything else is fine. And JVC's from the SZ series go for like 700 dollars off ebay as they are collectors items now pretty much. So even broken, I am sure my JVC SZ1000's have at least 100 dollar value.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #4,649 of 4,826

Just one is broken at the moment. But they are identical (apart from R, L symbols on original parts) and same file can be used to print both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back