JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #3,406 of 4,826
As requested by Crazy Basshead-Fi Guy Dude,

My DAC is +794 dBu, 197Vp-p Max Voltage, 189 MegaWatt Output Power, and it's Buttermilk Flavored

yeah so the bandana, I guess I have a peanut head cuz even fully retracted, the cups drop below my ears.  But this beautiful custom mod works purty gud.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,407 of 4,826

My DAC is +794 dBu, 197Vp-p Max Voltage, 189 MegaWatt Output Power, and it's Buttermilk Flavored

yeah so the bandana, I guess I have a peanut head cuz even fully retracted, the cups drop below my ears.  But this beautiful custom mod works purty gud.

**** yo, you got a small head if you gotta do that, I got my cans extended by, oh **** you going to make me do some math, ugg. I got these hear cans extended to what appears to be 3/4 of an inch, which I guess means my head is fractionally average.

Dude, you got them cans plugged into Ranch surprise. I call it surprise cause thats whats coming out of you when your virginity gets popped by wiz Khalia on my level, while using said cans.

It says on the side of our cans, Live Beat. They should be re-labled Nut Popping Bass Monsters. So that you know if you put these on, your going to be taken for the ride of your life.

Love that picture yo, you got style
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,408 of 4,826

Well, just for the record: 197 Vpp are only +39 dBu. +794 dBu would be 10980462132227600000000000000 Vpp (I might have miscounted the number of zeroes by one or two).

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #3,409 of 4,826

Well, just for the record: 197 Vpp are only +39 dBu. +794 dBu would be 10980462132227600000000000000 Vpp (I might have miscounted the number of zeroes by one or two).

I knew a head-fi nerd was going to geek out on me.  Respek, tho .  
bigsmile_face.gif

So yeah, I was bein' dumb, but gotta question, and see if you can answer like I'm 8.

I got this little groove box from Novation ("Circuit" very cool) and one of the only specs on the built in sound card for the head phone output is +5dBu at up to 150 ohhhhmmmmmmmms.

I have some other DJ controllers whose sounds cards are.....meh....so I'll plug in a Q1 to amp my SZ1000s.  

But THIS +5dBu (whatever the hay that means) does NOT require any dac, amp, etc.  The unit (which can actually run on 6 AA batteries) makes the SZs BOOM.  I was pretty surprised since no amp.

So what is the +5dBu?  In, 3rd grade reading level terms?  :D

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,410 of 4,826
In fact it says: The headphone amplifier can drive +5 dBu into a pair of 150 ohm stereo headphones. This statement is quite useless, as without knowing the internal output impedance one has no clue how much voltage or power will be there for a 16 Ohms headphone like the JVC.

+5 dBu = 1.38V rms = 3.9Vpp, @ 150 Ohms = 12.6 mW.

Now when you say this one rocks the SZ the unit seems to have a lower output impedance. In an ideal version (below 5 Ohms) you would get nearly the above voltages with up to 118 mW per channel. That is a lot, as double the volume/loudness requires 10 times the power = 1.18 Watts. And with an SZ you're deaf then...

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #3,411 of 4,826
For future reference, the SZ line has a power input limit of 1500MW, in other words if you were to pump 1.5 watts into them, they would make you go def for sure, and its also never a good idea to bring a set of drivers to their max rated value, as you greatly risk blowing the drivers. So in all of your testing and computations, please reference the 1500MW max input power limit. OK now back to your regularly scheduled program of skull crushing endevours with a set of SZ cans
darthsmile.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #3,412 of 4,826
  In fact it says: The headphone amplifier can drive +5 dBu into a pair of 150 ohm stereo headphones. This statement is quite useless, as without knowing the internal output impedance one has no clue how much voltage or power will be there for a 16 Ohms headphone like the JVC.

Now when you say this one rocks the SZ the unit seems to have a lower output impedance. In an ideal version (below 5 Ohms) you would get nearly the above voltages with up to 118 mW per channel. That is a lot, as double the volume/loudness requires 10 times the power = 1.18 Watts. And with an SZ you're deaf then...

So what unit should I be looking for (in theory) ?  
only other thing in the manual:  "Circuit’s main audio outputs on two 1⁄4” TS jack sockets. Max. output level is +5.3 dBu (+/-1.5 dBu)" . which may be as useless.

Oh, and almost didn't mention, but also "
The AC adaptor supplied with the unit is a 12 V DC, 1.5 A type, and can operate on mains voltages from 100 V to 240 V, 50 or 60 Hz "

So, I dunno, sience is hard.  

But yeah if I turned the volume up all the way and hit a super juicy kick drum pad, my ear drums would explode.  

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #3,414 of 4,826

So what unit should I be looking for (in theory) ?  
only other thing in the manual:  "Circuit’s main audio outputs on two 1⁄4” TS jack sockets. Max. output level is +5.3 dBu (+/-1.5 dBu)" . which may be as useless.

Oh, and almost didn't mention, but also "
The AC adaptor supplied with the unit is a 12 V DC, 1.5 A type, and can operate on mains voltages from 100 V to 240 V, 50 or 60 Hz "

So, I dunno, sience is hard.  

But yeah if I turned the volume up all the way and hit a super juicy kick drum pad, my ear drums would explode.  

Maybe this article will help you understand?
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/dbu-k-dbv-lower-case-v/

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,415 of 4,826
  Like I said - the internal output impedance would be nice to have. But that value is not mentioned anywhere, it seems, so you would have to measure that yourself...

Maybe this article will help you understand?
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/dbu-k-dbv-lower-case-v/

Oh man, thanks guys and good article (though I'll have to slowly study it) but I'm out of my depth.  Like, I know studying/understanding this stuff =  gooder sound in my earphones sometimes.  Just gotta read Audio Engineering for Tards.  

But that's for actual raw ampage/power.

As it is, I use lots of software EQs/compressors/etc but I kind of play with the knobs until it sounds right.   I understand frequencies and thresholds and limiters enough, but ratios, and knee, and attack, and release are lost on me.  btw, not expecting explanation (i've researched and most articles suck, or they're not tailored to my language). 

I use this for maximum, and, if I may borrow, nut popping bass, hosted within Audio HiJack (GREAT app, yo),

I believe I'm listening to Hot N**** 

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #3,417 of 4,826
It's very clear to me that not all bass songs work on these head phones as the way I have them.  The only adjustments I have is the windows 50Hz 18db boost.  Regardless, a song was playing on youtube that was really interesting and perhaps a song you guys already know.  

Regardless, I'm the guy that has to stand at the back of a concert because it's way to loud anywhere up close.  With that said, I think these headphones are going to destroy my hearing.  The issue I'm having is that the massage is so awesome, that I can't get enough of it.  With the right song, and it's only the right kind of song, I play it over and over again just because the massage is so awesome.  

When I take them off, everything is muffled for at least an hour.  I can't hear jack properly for at least an hour after taking them off.  

I came across this song that you guys probably already know, but I played it repeatedly for nearly two hours straight!  That's insanity, but the massage it gave me was amazing!  

Let me know how this song does on your cans...

Major Lazer - Cold Water (Neptunica & Matt Defreitas Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2fz99lIAs

That song just hits home for me with how the bass is used on this song.  I also really like the song itself, so that's a bonus.  

Another song that I really love lyrically and hits home to me is listed below.  The lyrics are really well done an the use of the bass really works well for the song.  It's not the most bass heavy song by any means, but the lyrics is something I believe that many people relate to.  

Macklemore - Cowboy Boots   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j0ucV1Bmdw

With all the above said, I've never been a bass head.  I've never listen to audio on anything other than a cheap pair of apple headphones or cheap pair of logitech computer speakers that were under seven dollars.  I actually thought that was good enough, but with these headphones I get a glimpse at how the bass can really transform a song.  It just adds impact and amplifies the meaning of the right kind of song.  

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #3,418 of 4,826
Hawaiibadboy, how much harder do these bass than the JVC M55x's?  My friend that compared them said no more than 15% more.  Not worth the money compared to the M55x's, but that doesn't mean he knew what he was doing.

I still never listened to his, but from what I read the m55x's are a good value.   

He also kept them for three months and never brought them back.  Maybe that says something haha.  

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,419 of 4,826
My rookie setting is the Fiio e12 with bass boost, gain on, amp volume around 75%, windows volume at 100% with 50Hz boost at 18db.  I'd say that means no EQing except that windows setting mentioned by someone else on the forum.  

I know I don't have them eq'd to bring out their max potential so they don't do well on many songs.  However, that Cold Water song does very well where some songs sound muffled and horrible, that one doesn't at all.  That song also vibrates my face down to my neck and causes my vision to shake when looking at the computer screen.   It's interesting for sure.  

I got the SZ2000's and the Fiio e12 after reading Hawaiibadboy's post as well.  The responses he got was enough for me to know it was not ********.  So thank you Hawaiibadboy for finding these headphones by accident in Japan!

Does anyone know if this headphones are made anymore?  At some point in the near future, are these things going to be even harder to find?     

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,420 of 4,826
  My rookie setting is the Fiio e12 with bass boost, gain on, amp volume around 75%, windows volume at 100% with 50Hz boost at 18db.  I'd say that means no EQing except that windows setting mentioned by someone else on the forum.  

I know I don't have them eq'd to bring out their max potential so they don't do well on many songs.  However, that Cold Water song does very well where some songs sound muffled and horrible, that one doesn't at all.  That song also vibrates my face down to my neck and causes my vision to shake when looking at the computer screen.   It's interesting for sure.  

I got the SZ2000's and the Fiio e12 after reading Hawaiibadboy's post as well.  The responses he got was enough for me to know it was not ********.  So thank you Hawaiibadboy for finding these headphones by accident in Japan!

Does anyone know if this headphones are made anymore?  At some point in the near future, are these things going to be even harder to find?     

Hey bro,
These stomp the piss outta the 55x. I liked the 55x and still use the pads but they lose their **** with my big sub bass boosts where the sz2k just get warmed up. They can make your neck meat vibrate. Nothing else does that.

I never ever use a PC as my source though I used an ipad with an e12 and sz2k before.  Personal pref so I got no input there. Your friends 15% comment is a bit light IMO
People got a slew of odd % ratings and stuff which makes no sense to me. Like talking Chinese to me. Can't understand any of it.

Do a vid of the bass is what I tell folks and they put up or shut up and take their %'s with them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back