JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,957 of 4,826
Nope. Zero. Nada. And why should it? Because of 20 cm more cable length? Impossible.

If you want to learn why balanced usually is nonsense or imagination read the posts from nwavguy about active grounds etc, and solderdudes paper 'resistance, impedance, and other issues':

http://www.mediafire.com/download/82kf0r5kdckdcer/resistance%2C+impedance+and+other+issues.pdf

On page 11/12 he explains balanced myths pretty well, and you will also understand why there is even less advantage with the JVC, as it has the optimal cabling (4 wires, ground lines connected at the plug) already.

I don't want to discourage you to do the 'perfect cabling mod', but reality is that you will not be able to measure an impedance difference between the old and the new cable. As the drivers have 15 Ohms the cabling wil not cause any audible change until it reaches several Ohms...which will not happen unless it is broken...

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,958 of 4,826
I totally understand what you're saying @Phoniac. My concern is it "feels" like the side the cable isn't going into is just ever so much quieter than the other side. This made me think the signal was all going to a pcb on the left side driver, and then had wires pulling the signal to the other cup. Even if nothing changes after I recable my spare SZ, it will at least have been a fun project
wink.gif

And, when all is said and done, I have no emotional attachment to whether or not it makes any difference. I just want to know the truth!

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,959 of 4,826
But as you are going to use a quite long cable you at least can do everything correct: use bigger wires (you did), and connect the ground sides only at the plug side of the connector (for unbalanced operation). This way you can be sure you always have 100% performance, even with the long cable!

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #2,960 of 4,826
  But as you are going to use a quite long cable you at least can do everything correct: use bigger wires (you did), and connect the ground sides only at the plug side of the connector (for unbalanced operation). This way you can be sure you always have 100% performance, even with the long cable!

Oh, i'm not going to use all 20 or so meters! I just bought a lot of the Peacock cable because I like it :)

But either way, I'll report back when i'm a bit less busy and the mod is done, I'm excited to see/hear if anything will change at all.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,964 of 4,826
My pair is up for sale if anyone's interested. Free worldwide shipping!

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,965 of 4,826
Just got the newest member to my family, the SZ2000s for those who can't distinguish the brass colored circle. Have a pair of M55x pads on them. I think I found my go-to "fun" can. My Magni 2 drives them beautifully! I have the EQ setup as kind of a slope down to 5kHz, a quick rise for some sparkle and then a steep drop after 14kHz (not like I can hear the difference anymore). These are positively euphoric and quite intoxicating, though I do have to get used to such a sound signature and take frequent breaks to ward off any headaches for now.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,968 of 4,826
 How is this going?

Everything is done except

-mouser has not yet delivered my neutrik plugs (ground shipping cause needed flux)
-strain reliefs
-measurements

I'll send you a pic when I get home but they're pretty bad ass,you can give a set a text drive if you want

Edit: please do not ask me to test drive these if your name isn't HBB or chilly or another very heavy hitter

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #2,969 of 4,826
Everything is done except

-mouser has not yet delivered my neutrik plugs (ground shipping cause needed flux)
-strain reliefs
-measurements

I'll send you a pic when I get home but they're pretty bad ass,you can give a set a text drive if you want

Edit: please do not ask me to test drive these if your name isn't HBB or chilly or another very heavy hitter

I'm looking to crack my set open and use a cable I got laying around . Looking forward to pics. No rush. I'm going swimming
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,970 of 4,826
Hi, I just received my JVC HA-SZ2000 today including the amp fiiO e12. I was just wondering what is the best EQ settings to use for this headphone in particular? The way I have it setup is headphones are connected to the amp and amp is connected to my PC sound card Asus Xonar DX. I'm currently using Asus Xonar software to kinda play around with EQ settings but keep in mind I'm barely new to this whole audio thing, and god damm is amazing having a rich sound through my ears. I'm reading a lot about EQ and I do understand everybody has their own unique setting for the type of stuff they listen, but it will be great just to see different opinions on settings specifically for this headphone so I can have a general idea how to have mine. Should I use a different software? Which software should I use? Do I need plugins? and if so which ones should I get. I truly appreciate any kind of tips or recommendations, everything helps. Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back