JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,941 of 4,826
  thats where the taction kannons would come in supposedly they offer as much bass as the sz2000 but you can run them with lower volume and get the same bass impact 

To be honest I have no interest whatsoever the Kannons.
I own two sets of SZ2000, the dual driver design is why they are special.

May 31, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,943 of 4,826
It depends on what volume you listen to. My wife usually makes me go to another room when I listen to my sz1k's. And I have to shut the door because she can hear it from down the hallway if I don't.

Nice, sounds like you rock 'em the right way :wink:

I figured they'd have some leakage at high volume. Thanks ^_^

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,945 of 4,826
I got my second set of SZ2k's in the other night and did a lot of A/B listening. Totally possible it's all in my head, but I swear these cans actually do respond positively to burn in.

Two sets with 55x pads, just switching out the plug on my Cayin C5 whenever I decided to switch it up. Otherwise everything was totally identical with both SZ2k's.

I don't think it's psychological entirely because the new ones sounded exactly as I remembered my others to sound when they were brand new. More forward mids, much less soundstage in exchange for a more intense presentation. Switching to my much more burned in 2k's had a more balanced sound, more precise bass slammage and impact, notably more recessed mids, and overall WAY huger soundstage (totally deserving of the bold).

I will continue to monitor these two sets in parallel and see if the new set ever takes on more characteristics of my more burned in set. If anyone else has multiple sets feel free to chime in, I definitely want to hear others' thoughts on this, especially as I am a burn in skeptic when it comes to headphones sized drivers.

The ones on the left are my old ones with the nice more open sound. The new ones of the right have a more intense but less refined/detailed overall sound. I will be recabling one of these with a Y split cable soon.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,947 of 4,826
First world problem unrelated to sound. Forgot I left my SZ2k's hanging on a handrail in the bathroom overnight. This left an indentation on the headband. It's been over a week and hasn't recovered to it's full plushness. Have I permanently maimed the king of bass?

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2,948 of 4,826
Is the HA-SZ1000/2000 end of life? I see that they are on sale at yodobashi for 17,900 yen, at Amazon Japan for 16,200 yen (that is about 130 Euro). Half a year ago it was over 20,000 yen. That is a big price reduction. Is JVC coming out with a new or different version?

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,949 of 4,826
  Is the HA-SZ1000/2000 end of life? I see that they are on sale at yodobashi for 17,900 yen, at Amazon Japan for 16,200 yen (that is about 130 Euro). Half a year ago it was over 20,000 yen. That is a big price reduction. Is JVC coming out with a new or different version?

I wish.

Could happen...doubt it but it could clear out back stock for a new model.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,950 of 4,826
Yeah we aren't going to see a successor to the 1k/2k unless all that back stock flies off the shelf and hope JVC notices.

Even after several waves of it being re-hyped up, it's still readily available new in box, which won't be any issue unless they never remake or improve on them...

You gotta remember they're a few years old already so JVC has probably totally forgotten

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,951 of 4,826
Went back and got one VAT free for 16,500 Yen (SZ-2000). Number 4 now for me. Worked perfectly right out of the box.
L3000.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,952 of 4,826
I am pretty busy starting next few days but you can expect to hear the final word on if the SZ suffers from power starving.

I got my Peacock MKii, I got my multimeter, I got my hakko, And I ain't afraid of nothin.

I don't have any great ideas for strain reliefs yet but for now they're being recabled and promptly measured.

@Phoniac If I recall correctly you XLR modded your SZ's correct? You kept the single sided cable intact, if I'm not mistaken? i'm curious to see if Y cable changes anything

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #2,953 of 4,826
Yes, I just cut the 3 pin connector off and soldered a 4 pin mini XLR on it. Then soldered an adapter cable 3 pin TRS to mini XLR, so it works as before. Then soldered a dual TRS plug to mini XLR adapter for balanced operation. See my earlier post with pin numbers and cable colors. I modded only one of my SZ this way as I wanted to try balanced mode. Sound same same, but as the amp gives 6 dB more juice - holy cow...
basshead.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,954 of 4,826
  Yes, I just cut the 3 pin connector off and soldered a 4 pin mini XLR on it. Then soldered an adapter cable 3 pin TRS to mini XLR, so it works as before. Then soldered a dual TRS plug to mini XLR adapter for balanced operation. See my earlier post with pin numbers and cable colors. I modded only one of my SZ this way as I wanted to try balanced mode. Sound same same, but as the amp gives 6 dB more juice - holy cow...
basshead.gif

Damn.... I will need a balance amp now...
When I get mine recabled I will measure both drivers, would you mind doing the same? (No rush until I get my recable done)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back