JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,896 of 4,826
  Hey Hawaiibadboy, my SZ2000 distorts/rattles when reproducing very low bass at high volume, about 75 dB and above with EQ. Other users have experienced this. No amp. Stock pads. Is that normal? Will a good amp fix that problem?

It has been a long time since i used stock pads and no amp.
The 2 ways of attack for bass is via power (amp) or directed additional power at particular freq's (EQ). Finding a balance between the 2 is the sweet spot. I don't think an amp is optional. Using just an eq to elevate the sub bass is begging for lots of distortion. The cleanest bass hits have been from an iFi in Turbo mode which is 4000mW into 16 ohm. The vids were made mostly with an e12. Anything below that in output power is going to yield less than ideal results. These were pretty much made for juicing. If you amp them and slowly build a mountain via eq and still have an issue then it's the SZ

May 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,897 of 4,826
A good amp will with 99% certainty fix that ElMarcado. The stock pads affect the sound in a weird way that is not good. I used stock pads on my sz for months while HBB kept telling me all I needed to do was switch the pads. I was about ready to give up on these when I finally tried new pads and it was like hearing a completely new headphone!

I listened to it no amp for the first time in a very long time (staight out of the laptop) the other day and there shouldn't be any distortion, at least for normal listening levels

On a related note, I actually have a big stash of 55x pads to sell, if anyone wants to get a set from me.

May 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,898 of 4,826
A follow-up to post 2873: I replaced the TRS 3.5 mm on the SZ-2000 with a male mini XLR 4 pin. The wires are as follows:
White - L+ = Pin 1
Black - L- = Pin 2
Red - R+ = Pin 3
Light grey - R- = Pin 4

I then soldered several short adapter cables, all female mini XLR 4 pin to TRS 1/4" and TRS 3.5 mm, and one for balanced mode, female mini XLR 4 pin to two TRS 1/4". Wasn't that hard. Now I can use the SZ on everything, including balanced mode via two TRS.
L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

May 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,899 of 4,826
I've had my pair for about a month and a half and the wire is already messing up. the sound breaks up when its moved around and i have to get it just right to work. is there a way to fix this? did anyone else have this problem?

May 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,900 of 4,826
@Phoniac, so that means the L- and R- is still separate until the jack? That is great news! Very easy to mod to balanced :)
Thanks!

I've replaced the pads with the Superlux HD681 Evo pads but while the bass really increased, I didn't like how it sounded "muddy" on certain frequency. I'm now back to using the stock pads.

May 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,901 of 4,826
  @Phoniac, so that means the L- and R- is still separate until the jack? That is great news! Very easy to mod to balanced :)
Thanks!

I've replaced the pads with the Superlux HD681 Evo pads but while the bass really increased, I didn't like how it sounded "muddy" on certain frequency. I'm now back to using the stock pads.

Try some pads which put your ears further from the driver.

May 24, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,905 of 4,826
It's all good as long as you're happy with the sound.
I find the farther away from the driver you get, the clearer stuff gets, and you get more bass detail but less bass impact.
Brainwavz hm5 pads gave me best detail of any pads but were so big & cushy. they absorbed a lot of bass impact.

May 25, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,909 of 4,826
Does anyone here knows about the SZ2000 driver durability?
I've read stories of SZ2000 subwoofers that stopped working after two or three months of blasting boosted bass. If someone here have a pair of one or two years blasting bass all day and still working perfectly, then it's all fine I guess.

May 26, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #2,910 of 4,826
  Does anyone here knows about the SZ2000 driver durability?
I've read stories of SZ2000 subwoofers that stopped working after two or three months of blasting boosted bass. If someone here have a pair of one or two years blasting bass all day and still working perfectly, then it's all fine I guess.

I have owned one set and have been doing videos with it and listening to it for 2+ years and everything is working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back