JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,763 of 4,826
Hey guys, just joined the site but ive read through numerous reviews and pages of this thread. Been in the market for a set of bass headphones and i think i found what im looking for in the 2000s. I already figured out to get the m55x pads to replace the stock pads. I was wondering how it performing unamped and if an amp if necessary if im just using my phone or computer. thank you.  

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,764 of 4,826
  Hey guys, just joined the site but ive read through numerous reviews and pages of this thread. Been in the market for a set of bass headphones and i think i found what im looking for in the 2000s. I already figured out to get the m55x pads to replace the stock pads. I was wondering how it performing unamped and if an amp if necessary if im just using my phone or computer. thank you.  

Some cans must have an amp and the SZ are definitely one of those. So yes, you need an amp.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,765 of 4,826

I'm fairly new to the audio game, but i can tell you right now, that the sz cans sound muffled and "veiled" (i think that's the proper use for the word 
biggrin.gif
). If you connect it straight to a source such as a smartphone, chances are you're going to dislike the headphones since they make a COMPLETELY different sound than what you'd experience through an iem. I recommend checking on ebay DAILY and get your hands on a used portable amp. I managed to snag a Fiio e11k for $46, and it retails at $99, not bad if i say so myself. The amp makes a WORLD of difference with the sz line. 

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Dr.H

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2,766 of 4,826
I'm fairly new to the audio game, but i can tell you right now, that the sz cans sound muffled and "veiled" (i think that's the proper use for the word :D ). If you connect it straight to a source such as a smartphone, chances are you're going to dislike the headphones since they make a COMPLETELY different sound than what you'd experience through an iem. I recommend checking on ebay DAILY and get your hands on a used portable amp. I managed to snag a Fiio e11k for $46, and it retails at $99, not bad if i say so myself. The amp makes a WORLD of difference with the sz line. 

Cheers :beerchug:
Dr.H

Im waiting ever so patiently on my sz1000 to arrive. Im going to drive them from my s6 edge plus with hifimediy into cayin c5 amp. How are these sounding post amp with eq?

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,767 of 4,826
Im waiting ever so patiently on my sz1000 to arrive. Im going to drive them from my s6 edge plus with hifimediy into cayin c5 amp. How are these sounding post amp with eq?

HBB has stated before that these cans are one of the best at being eq'd. They respond very well and can be altered to your eq tastes, especially with an amp like the c5. I'm sure many other bassheads will agree with me here when i say that the moment i got my sz cans, i pumped them full volume and just got lost in the BASS-OCEAN. Also, if you'd like to add to the already insane bass power, i HIGHLY recommend looking into getting your hands on JVC HA-m55x ear pads. The SZ's have incredibly soft earpads, but that isn't necessarily the best thing that you'd think it is. The stock pads are way too big, and your ears end up being pushed up against the housing rather than the earpads making space. I personally moved my m50x earpads onto the 2k until the ha-m55x pads came in. The ha-m55x are often used on ebay for ~$17. Before looking into buying everything at once, even though it's recommended largely by the community for a reason, i understand getting one piece at a time. Try out the sz1ks for a while, and if you are content with the stock pads, go to town! If not, the ha-m55x are THE way to go. If you just look up "JVC sz1/2k earpad replacement" online, you'll see TONNES of people vouching for the ha-m55x pads, here's a video to boot 
L3000.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYxgo_PMVs

Dr.H

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #2,768 of 4,826
HBB has stated before that these cans are one of the best at being eq'd. They respond very well and can be altered to your eq tastes, especially with an amp like the c5. I'm sure many other bassheads will agree with me here when i say that the moment i got my sz cans, i pumped them full volume and just got lost in the BASS-OCEAN. Also, if you'd like to add to the already insane bass power, i HIGHLY recommend looking into getting your hands on JVC HA-m55x ear pads. The SZ's have incredibly soft earpads, but that isn't necessarily the best thing that you'd think it is. The stock pads are way too big, and your ears end up being pushed up against the housing rather than the earpads making space. I personally moved my m50x earpads onto the 2k until the ha-m55x pads came in. The ha-m55x are often used on ebay for ~$17. Before looking into buying everything at once, even though it's recommended largely by the community for a reason, i understand getting one piece at a time. Try out the sz1ks for a while, and if you are content with the stock pads, go to town! If not, the ha-m55x are THE way to go. If you just look up "JVC sz1/2k earpad replacement" online, you'll see TONNES of people vouching for the ha-m55x pads, here's a video to boot :L3000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYxgo_PMVs

Dr.H

Ye i already got new pads. I haven't come across anyone who has tried the hybrid brainwavz on these so i picked a pair up. Velour lining to rest on the ear but the pad structures like a leather/pleather. Theyre going to be used on 2way road trips on a daily for work commute lasting 2+ hours each way as a passenger so comfort has been taken into consideration. No doubt, ill get the 55x pads at some point though as im like that. Im hoping they also sound decent with my rock playlist aswell as my hip hop playlist. The reason for the sz1000 is because Ive been told its slightly less bass but better mids and highs which would in theory cover more of my genres

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,770 of 4,826
  I'm fairly new to the audio game, but i can tell you right now, that the sz cans sound muffled and "veiled" (i think that's the proper use for the word 
biggrin.gif
). If you connect it straight to a source such as a smartphone, chances are you're going to dislike the headphones since they make a COMPLETELY different sound than what you'd experience through an iem. I recommend checking on ebay DAILY and get your hands on a used portable amp. I managed to snag a Fiio e11k for $46, and it retails at $99, not bad if i say so myself. The amp makes a WORLD of difference with the sz line. 

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Dr.H

thanks ill definitely check out getting a portable amp. i also read something about EQing? Can i use a EQ app on android if i get a portable amp?

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,771 of 4,826
thanks ill definitely check out getting a portable amp. i also read something about EQing? Can i use a EQ app on android if i get a portable amp?

hey, I use poweramp. Good equalizer. I have the cayin c5 amp. Absolute beast of an amp. Gets my crossfade wireless slamming with no drama, also know hawaii badboy got his sz rocking with them aswell. If you can afford it I would deffo say go for it. Its well regarded

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,772 of 4,826
hey, I use poweramp. Good equalizer. I have the cayin c5 amp. Absolute beast of an amp. Gets my crossfade wireless slamming with no drama, also know hawaii badboy got his sz rocking with them aswell. If you can afford it I would deffo say go for it. Its well regarded

nice. very nice. definitely going for it. OK so far gona get the sz2000 + m55x pads + cayin c5 + poweramp. should be great!!

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,773 of 4,826
  nice. very nice. definitely going for it. OK so far gona get the sz2000 + m55x pads + cayin c5 + poweramp. should be great!!

You're looking at top-notch bass BLISS with that set-up. You'd be amazed at just how much the earpads make a difference switching to the m55x. Happy listening and tell us when you get your gear in, i want to hear your impressions of everything! Also, the cayin c5 is an ABSOLUTE MONSTER of an amp, but so it also a tad pricey (well worth the value for it's sound mind you). Like i mentioned, i just got my hands on my first portable amp myself, and i went with the e11k, usually the e12 is recommended as a baseline, but i also snagged the e11k for a bargain. Get the best amp you can manage, but don't be discouraged if you can't get the cayin c5 right off the bat. Especially when you begin to realize just how many items are recommended to bring the SZ cans to that sweet golden spot, the price adds up REAL QUICK. Make sure to not forget us when you get your setup, and tell us what you think! 
L3000.gif

Dr. H

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,774 of 4,826
  the sz cans sound muffled and "veiled" (i think that's the proper use for the word 
biggrin.gif
). If you connect it straight to a source such as a smartphone, chances are you're going to dislike the headphones since they make a COMPLETELY different sound than what you'd experience through an iem.

The amp makes a WORLD of difference with the sz line.   

That makes hardly any sense. IEM stands for In-Ear Monitor. And an amp makes ZERO difference on the basic sound (veiled whatever) of the SZ. These are the facts:

- the veiled sound originates from the mid/treble driver being too close to the ear. A few mm distance already changes the mid sound drastically for the better.
- the typical customer of this phone will still complain about too much mids  - reducing this by EQ (or lifting bass and treble at the same time) will take care of that
- the SZ series headphones are totally impedance flat, therefore sound the same no matter what amp you use. I repeat: ZERO sound difference.
- the SZ series is VERY sensitive. With an iPad or iPhone, which (outside the EU) deliver 1 V output level, there is plenty of volume available. Use a nice app like Neutron and you can even raise the sub-bass further. Only if you want to do this to the extreme an additional amp is required, But this is not the Xtreme Bass Club thread, so assuming anyone reading/writing here wants to do the extreme stuff as shown by our bad boy is not correct.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,775 of 4,826

That makes hardly any sense. IEM stands for In-Ear Monitor. And an amp makes ZERO difference on the basic sound (veiled whatever) of the SZ. These are the facts:

- the veiled sound originates from the mid/treble driver being too close to the ear. A few mm distance already changes the mid sound drastically for the better.
- the typical customer of this phone will still complain about too much mids  - reducing this by EQ (or lifting bass and treble at the same time) will take care of that
- the SZ series headphones are totally impedance flat, therefore sound the same no matter what amp you use. I repeat: ZERO sound difference.
- the SZ series is VERY sensitive. With an iPad or iPhone, which (outside the EU) deliver 1 V output level, there is plenty of volume available. Use a nice app like Neutron and you can even raise the sub-bass further. Only if you want to do this to the extreme an additional amp is required, But this is not the Xtreme Bass Club thread, so assuming anyone reading/writing here wants to do the extreme stuff as shown by our bad boy is not correct.

Well you heard it here! I stand COMPLETELY corrected! Thanks Phoniac, like i said i'm new to the audio game and  was just trying to express what i was hearing as best as i could, guess i've got a lot to learn to choose my proper terminology. 
rolleyes.gif

Much appreciated and just to reiterate the fact that i am NOT being sarcastic by any means, a sincere thanks to you! 
beerchug.gif

Dr.H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back