JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #931 of 4,826
That's what I was hoping to hear from someone. They'll work for my other genres nicely, and serve as a bass mastering can for my music production alongside my AKG's. Thanks for that review!

May 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #932 of 4,826
OK, here's a mini review for all those who are interested in these headphones but don't listen predominantly/ mostly to hip-hop.

Nice review - especially as I'm also a no hiphop guy, but love deep and articulated bass.

I'm still trying to figure out the "veil". I heared some quite dark headphones like Fidelio L1 or Sennheiser HD8 DJ, but I'm not sure if they could be called veiled.

May 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #933 of 4,826
  Listening to these headphones really feels like listening to a concert in a club with a really good sound system. The bass is full, rich, and pumping (on properly recorded tracks). The club is dark and smokey, so you can't see the band on stage very clearly, but the sound is very immersive.. and really, who can concentrate on the fine details of the music when you're dancing and having a ball?

Dear lord. That shoulda been JVC's blurb on the box and ads.
Bravo!! 

May 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #934 of 4,826
Silly Hawaii! JVC doesn't know what an advertisement is!!

May 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #935 of 4,826
  OK, here's a mini review for all those who are interested in these headphones but don't listen predominantly/ mostly to hip-hop.

I listen to quite a few different genres, so I thought I'll add my 2c. I got interested in the JVCs because I wanted to add a good bassy headphone to my collection, I have some very good headphones which I thoroughly enjoy, but none of them have that real thumping bass that I want every now and then. I stumbled across this thread, and the curiosity-to-price ration was enough to let the curiosity win and I ordered these from amazon.

Listening setup: At home: Laptop -> Tubemagic D1 dac -> Meier Audio Corda Concerto. On the go: ipod -> v-moda Vamp Verza.

First listen out of the box with stock pads, I was surprised that these sounded quite nice throughout the scale. Once I played around with the pads, the HM5 pads were deemed the best fit (Alpha Pads slightly too big and don't form sufficient isolation, 770 pads too firm for my taste). 

These headphones are really great at giving you a feel for the bass. I have other headphones in which the bass is very articulate, yet doesn't really kick very strongly. On the ATH-W5000 and the Alessandro Alumod/ MS1000 (modded MS1), the bass is very articulate, but really lacks any true punch. It is like admiring it from a distance. Both of these headphones articulate the highs beautifully, and in that department, the JVC has little to offer. The JVC's still have some sparkle in the highs, but overall, the mids and highs are quite veiled, and a bit grainy. Even my darker sounding headphones (Mad Dogs 3.2, HD650) still have clearer highs than the JVC's.

These are definitely dark-sounding headphones. Listening to these headphones really feels like listening to a concert in a club with a really good sound system. The bass is full, rich, and pumping (on properly recorded tracks). The club is dark and smokey, so you can't see the band on stage very clearly, but the sound is very immersive.. and really, who can concentrate on the fine details of the music when you're dancing and having a ball?

The bass... it's fantastic. It gives a new dimension to it, which is often missing in other headphones. On these, I mostly listen to rock, funk, and soul. These headphones are great at revealing good (and bad) music engineering - they can really reveal whether the bass is recorded properly or not. Before getting these, there were some songs/ albums that I was particularly looking forward to listening to - and some of them disappointed, as it was revealed that their bass isn't recorded well enough to produce true punch from these headphones. Some other albums however surprised with the power and quality of their recorded bass.

Here are some examples of rock/ funk tracks which I think bring the best out of these headphones. Please note that, for best impact, listen to a high-quality source rather than the youtube links below, but these would give you a rough idea:

Aerosmith's Living On The Edge has some very good quality bass sound, the drums really kick throughout the whole Get A Grip album. On this song in particular, around the 3:30 mark, there is a real thunderous sound of drums that I always use to test the bass limits of headphones. Some headphones fail miserably at this test - the JVC's are marvelous at this, the whole headphones vibrate and the sound is huge.

Parliament/ Funkadelic are what I listen to more than anything on these headphones, for a complete club-like feeling. My idea of a party, and these are definitely party headphones. This track is also good to showcase that the JVC can even have some nice sparkle on the highs on the right track.

The Black Crowes' Virtue & Vice has very nice thunderous intro, which is another track I use to test bassiness of headphones.

This recording from Humble Pie is just spectacular, and is probably the only track here that sounds better on this particular youtube version than the album version (the album Eat It is quite controvertial due to its sub-par sound recording - which is very unfortunate, as it has some truly great music). Bass player Gregg Ridley is featured here.

The Who - Live At Leeds album. Features perhaps the bass bass/drum duo in classic rock. This album might be my favorite sounding live album, and the bass just sounds truly spectacular with the JVC's. You can just focus on John Entwistle's utter brilliance. 

To conclude, I would definitely recommend these as a special-missions headphones for all people who enjoy some bass every now and again. Personally I disagree that these are strictly for hip-hop, but keep in mind that these will reveal which albums recorded their bass properly and which didn't. I wouldn't recommend them as your only set, but would strongly recommend them as a party headphones for those who, every blue moon, have ants in their pants and they need to dance (in the comfort of their homes...)

I quoted this whole thing to put it back on the latest page.

May 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #936 of 4,826

From all that I tried, the HM5 pads are definitely the way to go IMHO, they offer better comfort and isolation. I don't think that it changes the sound very dramatically though, it makes them less fatiguing that's for sure. t doesn't really lift "the veil" very much though. All in all, this are definitely dark/ veiled headphones.

Thanks for the feedback!  However, this confuses me further as I remember at least two people saying velor pads lifted the veil, even though I am not quite sure what everyone means by veiled.

May 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #937 of 4,826
  Thanks for the feedback!  However, this confuses me further as I remember at least two people saying velor pads lifted the veil, even though I am not quite sure what everyone means by veiled.

If you come from very bright headphones, like my IEM Sony EX-1000, then it is like the light gets dimmed to 10%. But the brain corrects that within a short period of time, at least for me. Then the mids and the treble return, but remain a bit veiled. Not bad at all, but that 's the way it is. This is a bass monster with no limits but your ears.

May 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #938 of 4,826

I personally preferred the feel of the HM5 pads, but that might be a personal reference. I haven't spent much time with the 770 pads on them, so perhaps they do lift up the veil more. I'll try to listen to them some more with the 770 pads this weekend and will let you know if I can a difference.

Keep in mind that it can be subjective, both in terms of how we each "hear" music, but even things like head shapes which can change the seal of different pads and might give different people different sounds with the same pads.

May 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #939 of 4,826

Dear lord. That shoulda been JVC's blurb on the box and ads.
Bravo!! 

biggrin.gif
 thank you kind sir

May 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #940 of 4,826

Nice review - especially as I'm also a no hiphop guy, but love deep and articulated bass.

I'm still trying to figure out the "veil". I heared some quite dark headphones like Fidelio L1 or Sennheiser HD8 DJ, but I'm not sure if they could be called veiled.

It might be the case it meaning different things to different people, but for me, the veil means that it's not quite as detailed on the very fine details of the music as some really top of the line headphones are. If you already have good headphones, they might be more revealing of the little details of the music, but the JVCs make up for the lack of fine details with a big, very immersive sound, with fantastic bottom end.

May 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #941 of 4,826
Where do I get HM5 earpads from? They don't seem to be sold separately from the headphones.

May 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #943 of 4,826
  Where do I get HM5 earpads from? They don't seem to be sold separately from the headphones.

MP4nation have them just search for HM5

Yup, I got mine just here: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Make sure you order 2 units, as each one is sold separately.

May 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #944 of 4,826
Anyone who has these also have dx1000 or dx700? I like the idea of these headphones... But many people say that DX1000 allready has the best bass of all dynamic headphones, do these have anything to offer for people who allready own flaghisp JVC? I have ha-s400 which was kind of nice for nickels it cost and ha-rx700 which was excellent for the money but compared to dx1000 it was a mere pale shadow.

May 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #945 of 4,826
  Anyone who has these also have dx1000 or dx700? I like the idea of these headphones... But many people say that DX1000 allready has the best bass of all dynamic headphones, do these have anything to offer for people who allready own flaghisp JVC? I have ha-s400 which was kind of nice for nickels it cost and ha-rx700 which was excellent for the money but compared to dx1000 it was a mere pale shadow.

Better delivery of full spectrum with great bass? Yes. They are Audiophile approved I believe? Best bass of ALL dynamic headphones? Bass? No. Not side by side on identical bass heavy tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back