JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #781 of 4,826
Have mine on right now. Will test it later tonight. So far it sounds good out of my Ipod Classic / Fiio E12 combo. A bit veiled in the treble region, but it is too early to describe. Bass impact is superb though.

Cup switch will help the mid/high a bit right away. Still need work after that but it depends on your taste. Stuff seems to come together at higher volume as opposed to falling apart. Drivers seem to be more in control with amp than with not. 

BTW....

This track is good at touching the lower audio thresh.

Bass boosted....turn it way up.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

This is my "Destroy all Monsters/ Compare all cans hit"

I'm in Japan so I'll be crashing soon. 

Enjoy!!

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #783 of 4,826

You could use either the same HM5, though they might not fit right, get the JVC XX pads, like Hawaiibadboy, or try the EDT770V from Beyerdynamic, like i did. They are a lot more options to try, and they might give you different results (i'm trying to get a pair of Alpha Pads, and a pair of LCD-2 Velour pads too, but those are a little more expensive).

Hi Kukyo (or anyone else),

Did you ever try the Alpha Pads on the SZ2000? did it fit?

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #784 of 4,826
If you type @ <<<person you wanna get like @Kukyo you might get a faster response...maybe
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #785 of 4,826
The bass is absolutely addictive, the rest of the range is not to my liking. But that was to be expected. I will try to modify the pads. Planning on trying Beyerdynamic leather pads. The should fit exactly and help the mids and treble to come more alive.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #786 of 4,826
  The bass is absolutely addictive, the rest of the range is not to my liking. But that was to be expected. I will try to modify the pads. Planning on trying Beyerdynamic leather pads. The should fit exactly and help the mids and treble to come more alive.

Getting the cage off your ear is going to help.
Tracks like these

You should try this.

Tracks with electronic highs that can play over the big bass are always gonna be what these were made for. I listened to this track with the sz the Pro 900 and Yamaha's Pro 500 today and these just make the 25Hz - 45Hz shine better than the other 2 while they all represent the upper bass well. The Pro 900 and 500's handle the 300-1k range much better.

I have spent no time working the eq so I am looking forward to that someday but for now these serve the purpose of playing tracks like this. 

That said it's a better experience both physically and audio wise to get those cages off you. Helps the  early mid  but mid to high trans is still not like the Yamaha and sone 900's. Until i really try to eq I'll never know and based on my listening it might be a while. I'm in full Hip Hop mode right now so I'm hoping somebody else puts in time figuring a good slope for other genre'

BTW...love the Floyd line in your sig......you know the hidden message in the wall??

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #788 of 4,826

Hi Kukyo (or anyone else),

Did you ever try the Alpha Pads on the SZ2000? did it fit?

Thanks!

No, i haven't tried them yet, but i asked around and they should fit, but they could be a little loose. I've been experimenting with my HD25's with Amperior Cups, seeing they hit almost as low as the SZ2K, but they're a lot more portable. They do depend on the track actually, but i think i finally found my best portable setup (since the SZ2K are really heavy and bulky for street usage, at least for me). I might jump the gun and just buy a pair of Alpha Pads, but that should be at the end of the month, at least until i finish experimenting with my HD25's.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #789 of 4,826
TOP 10 Hip Hop Tracks for testing JVC SZ2000

The Pack.....crushing fake basscans like it's a sport. 

Reason #2 to stop calling sub-bass anything besides can killers

The song that made me choose the SZ over (insert favorite can here)

Sub bass and upper bass hits.....joy :)

mmm...IMPACT

Awesome vib...bass ( I met this guy)

woops...that's 11
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #791 of 4,826
  How does the pro900 compare to this?  Any help is appreciated guys. 

The 3 first videos above your post are the type of songs where the SZ out slam The Pro 900.
The 900's have 40mm drivers. They are titanium but the hit is similar to the beats studio (high bass early mids) If your not into crazy amounts of bass the Ultrasone Pro 900 might be better. They will play most anything right out of the box. I heard them today for the 20th time and heard the Edition 8 "Ruthenhiem"(?) which actually have as hard a punch and deeper lows.
If your gonna spend near $500 listen to the Edition 8's more expensive but if bass and quality are your points then the Edition 8 is even better.

If your a basshead. and tracks like in those videos above  are your thing than get the SZ.
I'm a basshead. The SZ are peerless in sub bass. 25-60Hz. 
Have you heard the Pro 900?
Have you heard the Yamaha Pro 500's?
Harder slam IMO...Yamaha. 
The sz needs a lot of amp and it will hit harder and stave off distortion longer than any can I have tried but they are built for Hip Hop. 

This video and track are the sz in a nut shell.
On most cans you can hear the sparkle at the beginning and the whole very well mastered track.
On the sz you need to raise the amp to the point where the bass is slamming insane for the mids to highs to appear and shine and give the whole track "balance"
cnt drivers have got to be related to this but that's a science forum topic. This track sounds as good as any high end can if you raise the stage to where the treble sparkles but at that level the bass is smashing your head.......hence the "basshead cannon" tag assigned to these. You'll never hear the whole spectrum on this track until at a point where the bass is on nuts level.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #792 of 4,826
Had the PRO 900 for some time. The bass was strong, but kinda muddy. And the treble where just too much. They made my ears ringing even at low reasonable volumes. The SZ2000 in comparison has the endgame bass and is quite dark tuned in the treble region, which guarantees absolute no ringing at high volumes.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #793 of 4,826
  How does the pro900 compare to this?  Any help is appreciated guys. 

Having tested the Pro900 a while ago, and using the words that a friend used to describe these when he tried them out: "These are like the Pro900, but with more and better mids". The bass is also different to my ears, i enjoy more the bass from the SZ2k more than the bass on the Pro900, and they have a little more detail in the upper range. The Pro900 are a little more comfortable than the SZ2k with the stock pads. In the end, i prefer the SZ2k over the Pro900, but only with retail price (i had a friend who bought a pair of Pro900 for around 100 bucks...).

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #794 of 4,826

Having tested the Pro900 a while ago, and using the words that a friend used to describe these when he tried them out: "These are like the Pro900, but with more and better mids". The bass is also different to my ears, i enjoy more the bass from the SZ2k more than the bass on the Pro900, and they have a little more detail in the upper range. The Pro900 are a little more comfortable than the SZ2k with the stock pads. In the end, i prefer the SZ2k over the Pro900, but only with retail price (i had a friend who bought a pair of Pro900 for around 100 bucks...).

Hi, thanks for the quick input. I'm thinking of picking up a pair for myself and I'm definitely convinced that I should get a pair. Also, I heard you were heard going to try out the Alpha Pads on these? I might pick some up if they fit without doing any major modding, is modding required to fit the Alpha Pads on these? @Kukyo 
The sz needs a lot of amp and it will hit harder and stave off distortion longer than any can I have tried but they are built for Hip Hop. 

Do you think the Schiit Vali/Modi or the Fiio e17 can provide enough juice for them? Also how well do these work with EDM? I mostly listen to EDM and stuff like that. (stuff like this:https://soundcloud.com/spinninrecords/kshmr-megalodon-original-mix)
Had the PRO 900 for some time. The bass was strong, but kinda muddy. And the treble where just too much. They made my ears ringing even at low reasonable volumes. The SZ2000 in comparison has the endgame bass and is quite dark tuned in the treble region, which guarantees absolute no ringing at high volumes.
Wow that just sounds perfect to me.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #795 of 4,826
  Hi, thanks for the quick input. I'm thinking of picking up a pair for myself and I'm definitely convinced that I should get a pair. Also, I heard you were heard going to try out the Alpha Pads on these? I might pick some up if they fit without doing any major modding, is modding required to fit the Alpha Pads on these? @Kukyo

Hmm i haven't tried them out yet, since they're a lot pricier than those i'm used to, but i might jump the gun at the end of the month, since i'm still balancing out if i should push for the PB2 or a Hifi-M8 as my desktop solution. I doubt there's any modding requiered, but the fit might be a little weird. If you're not sure yet, you're better with going with the EDT770V pads (Since there's not a replacement for the T1 pads yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back