JVC HA-S200 "Riptidz" on ear headphones
Jun 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I think these must be brand new, because there are absolutely no reviews on them anywhere. Anyway, I got them at HH Greg for $26. They are over the ear phones, of a medium size I'd say. The ear cups completely cover my ear, but they don't enclose around the ear. 

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028984&pathId=135&page=1

I was originally going to pick up a new pair of the Flats, since mine are getting very old. But I found these, and was very curious. 

I can't say I'm too disappointed with them so far. The sound signature is very smooth and warm, but somewhat veiled and boomy. The mids are very smooth and moderately detailed. The highs seem to be very present and smooth, and I think the frequency response goes quite high, as the higher range doesn't seem rolled off. There is some sibilance to these phones, but it's not fatiguing.

The bass is the weakest aspect to these, being a bit unfocused and not the most detailed.  However, they aren't fart cannons, and the overall sound is fairly detailed and warm.

I want to say that the sound is on the darker side. As I mentioned, it's somewhat veiled, seeming as though the sound is coming from far off with some sort of barrier. But it's not bad, not nearly as bad as the MDR V150s were. It's also a tad boomy, almost like the sound is resonating a bit more than it should. 

Surprisingly, they have a good sound stage. This is most apparent with jazz, orchestral, and any sort of track with decently recorded drum kits. In multi-layered jazz recordings, the different instruments float in and out of the mix with a definite placement, and it's very cool. The drums also always sound amazingly well placed, sometimes either being in the front or the back of the mix. 

(Of note: They are boomy to my ears in the same way my old flats are. It's not horrible, but it's noticeable. It's also worth mentioning that the sound quality and signature is very similar to the Flats, which are quite popular on headfi.)

Overall, though, they are very pleasant to listen to, and I love the design. The construction is a thick, sturdy plastic material. They fit marvelously and the pads are very comfortable. I can wear them for a long time. They isolate a bit, but not a lot. But they do work at keeping sound in and keeping some sound from outside out. 

They are also the ABSOLUTE most efficient headphones I've ever used. They can get insanely loud. I mean REALLY loud. 

Some test tracks- The aftermath by Iron Maiden. This song has a darker, very clean and spacious sound. It also tends to bring out the boomy quality of these headphones. Even though this con shows up, I can hear all of the detail of the track, including the separation of the rhythm guitar tracks. The bass is pretty clear and distinct, but that might just be Steve Harris's bass playing. The sound is very warm and powerful. The drums have a very warm and detailed sound. 

Till Eulenspiegel by Strauss. The violins come out very clearly and smoothly. The Basses and Cellos are distinct, but the bass sound tends to overwhelm somewhat. The brass is fairly textured and clear, and the majority of the inner voices (violas, second violins, cellos, some of the winds) are audible when their parts have moving lines. Sometimes the Bass and percussion overwhelm other levels. The overall sound is powerful and warm. 

Schumann Symphony #3, first movement. This track isn't as boomy as the last two have been. It's a very smooth, powerful and warm sound. Basically, the sound is about the same as the previous track, but less boomy. The bass is still a bit overwhelming at times, but it doesn't dominate. 

A Duke Ellington Songbook: Mood Indigo performed by the Charlie Byrd quartet. This is a little bit boomy, but otherwise this track sounds great on these phones. The guitar is beautifully clear, and the bass is powerful and clear. The saxophone is textured and warm, sometimes losing clarity in some places. Drums are very smooth, clear, and atmospheric. 

Overall, these are definitely consumer phones aimed at the bass heads. However, they are pretty good given that. In the past, consumer/basshead phones have proven to be pretty terrible. These are pretty good, given their flaws. I'd describe them as "powerhouse phones", simply because the sound is warm and full on any given track. A bad example of this type of headphone would be either the Sony MDR V150s or the Skullcandy Hesh models. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Nice find. Dont you think its too early to judge by its out of the box sound? they need some burn in. Or have you tried some Eq tweaks? 

And i appreciate your effort to write the sound impressions. 
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 11
It could be too early to judge the sound, who knows. I'm going to keep using them and see if my impressions change. This is just what I have heard so far. If the boomy sound goes away with time, these could end up being incredible. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
It could be too early to judge the sound, who knows. I'm going to keep using them and see if my impressions change. This is just what I have heard so far. If the boomy sound goes away with time, these could end up being incredible. 

Right, i will be waiting for more impressions. They look nice though, it would make a nice portable headphone. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Right, i will be waiting for more impressions. They look nice though, it would make a nice portable headphone. 

Especially because they are so efficient. Man, these things get stupidly loud. I routinely only have to keep my player at 30-40% volume and it's pretty damn loud even then. 

I also want to stress that I'm being objectively critical with this review. For their money, these are great headphones already. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 11
How do they compare with the Flats?

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 11
They have a fuller, richer sound than the flats. The sound is similar, though. I also noticed that my old Marshmallows were similar to the flats. I think there is a definite "JVC stock sound" here. They are sorta boomy sounding, but so are my flats. I think the Flats reveal a tiny bit more detail, but they are less comfortable and not as full sounding. The flats also have a more well defined bass sound, but the riptidz have a great sound stage that I'm not sure I've ever heard in a closed set. 

For the fuller sound, better comfort (although they are a lot larger), and great sound stage, I'd say the riptidz are a slightly better value at the suggested retail price. However, if you look for them online, you can buy the flats for next to nothing...

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 11
I have listened to them a LOT today and I put them on the computer with white noise for a while while I wasn't using them. I know burn in is technically supposed to take a long time or something, but I think I'm noticing the sound changing. Or I could just be getting used to them. I actually don't know if I fully believe in burn in, but I'm giving it a go. 

But the "boominess" I spoke about it becoming less apparent. The sound is very full and rich, sometimes unfocused, but still really nice for the money. It's usually fairly detailed. Not the most analytical sound I've heard though. Depending on who you are, it can be a good thing.  

EDIT: I don't know if I'm going crazy, but I'm starting to notice that these sort of sound like a closed version of the porta pros....hmmm.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 11
It sounds like these might be very similar to the HA-S360? I was hoping these would have carbon nanotube diaphragms like the HA-FX40 IEMs, but from your description of the sound this might have the same or very similar drivers to the HA-S360. The HA-S360 also has high sensitivity 30mm drivers.

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Any updates on these? I saw them at fry's for $30 the other day, and i must say they have a rather fetching design. They look good, tons of colors, seem to be built well. Makes you wonder what you're going to get, sound-wise at $20-30.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11
I don't own them anymore. I took them back right before exchange period gave out.

That said, they are pretty decent, but not as good as what I already had (the PX 100s and 200s, porta pros). For how cheap they are, definitely pretty good beaters. I just ended up getting my money back for them since I knew I wasn't going to be using them as much as I initially thought. The sound continued to open up though. Pretty much everything I said about them stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back