JVC HA-RX700 vented/semi-open or closed?
Apr 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 20
Just one vote and no replies??? Man, people on both sides of the argument were SO opinionated and sure of themselves just the other day. Put the fire to the iron and make a public poll and people shy away.

I think what this shows is that more people need to be darn sure of themselves before trash talking others or making snide presumptions.

L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 20
They're sold as closed, but they do have uber small vents. I gotta say though they do a good job keeping tunes in and ambient sound out. I've had my pair for close to a year now, I love em...but don't listen to them as much since I've given my JVC HA-DX3's more of a chance.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 20
They look pretty closed to me. The isolation is not stellar though.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 20
^ Yes not only does JVC make and market the RX700 as closed it doesn't leak sound like other open/semi-open headphone... do you understand what a semi-open headphone is? It's not some small crack you might find in the fitting joints but a driver enclosure with multiple, visible vents.

Semi-open on the left, closed on the right.
akg-K142HD-K172HD-K242HD-K272HD-headphones.jpg

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 20
they are closed. I've taken them apart. I thought about cutting the back off and putting some mesh in to make them open but didn't in the end.
But yes, save for maybe a small few cracks and places where there may be a small few tiny 'vents', they are closed and are a closed can design

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 20
the metal trim ring is vented. its not much, probably more like a bass port. its not semi-open like an akg

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes not only does JVC make and market the RX700 as closed it doesn't leak sound like other open/semi-open headphone... do you understand what a semi-open headphone is? It's not some small crack you might find in the fitting joints but a driver enclosure with multiple, visible vents.

Semi-open on the left, closed on the right.
akg-K142HD-K172HD-K242HD-K272HD-headphones.jpg

Grrrr... There he goes again assuming that I'm some sort of idiot. I got a present for all you guys who think they're closed...

0a03491c.jpg

d12fd165.jpg

33312d58.jpg

I can't wait for someone to come in here and say that those are merely cracks. Humor me for a second, take one of the cups on your RX700's apart and hold them to the light. Those VENTS are not there unintentionally. Once again, the VENTS are obscured by a flange but they are clearly and visible there and if you'd bother to take one of your cups apart you'd know this.

The JVC RX-HA700's are semi-open and that's a fact, jack.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 20
e3211dec.gif
The flange that is there just further proves that these are semi-open. JVC put them there for a reason and it is to obscure the VENTS.

Anyone who still doubts need only take one of their cups apart to see who's correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're sold as closed, but they do have uber small vents. I gotta say though they do a good job keeping tunes in and ambient sound out. I've had my pair for close to a year now, I love em...but don't listen to them as much since I've given my JVC HA-DX3's more of a chance.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grrrr... There he goes again assuming that I'm some sort of idiot. I got a present for all you guys who think they're closed...

0a03491c.jpg

I can't wait for someone to come in here and say that those are merely cracks. Humor me for a second, take one of the cups on your RX700's apart and hold them to the light. Those VENTS are not there unintentionally. Once again, the VENTS are obscured by a flange but they are clearly and visible there and if you'd bother to take one of your cups apart you'd know this.

The JVC RX-HA700's are semi-open and that's a fact, jack.

No you aren't an idiot, you're just looney... I feel if we were having this discussion in a public place your doctor would walk over, apologize, and pull you away, all the while you're shouting "There semi-open, semi-open!!!" Look whether you like it or not these are closed headphones, why on earth would JVC build a headphone with vents (RX900) and hide the vents for the RX700? If you can slide some ribbon around thats wonderful, if you wear them like that it's even better!

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why on earth would JVC build a headphone with vents (RX900) and hide the vents for the RX700?

In case you havnt noticed there is quite the stigma against both types of headphones.

Quite a few people want closed headphones because semi open ones are percieved as leaking more sound (in or out).

Quite a few people want open or semi open headphones because sealed headphones often sound like poo.

The compromise is in the middle of course. A hidden port on the "closed" headphone so it sounds acceptable, and still has SOME isolation, and an obviously open headphone for people who want that.

It is also worth note that the sound of the headphones can be tuned buy putting the same driver in several enclosures with various dimensions, and porting arrangements. Its no different from how speakers are built in that regard. The same 12" woofer driver in a ported, aporatic, and sealed box will have different response.

Edited:
Food for thought: What is the surface area of the port in the RX700? I bet its fairly significant, despite being a slot port 2mm wide with a diameter of 3.5". 20mmsquare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back