JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,321 of 3,271
Quote:
I think it's durability as well. I've already replaced the cable on my TF10's due to a short in the 3.5mm plug after an amount of usage and just went with an inexpensive cable. I don't want to have to do this to the FXZ200's because of flimsy stress relief. For now I'm buying a short extension cable with an L shaped plug to take the stress.

This is an easy fix if you're comfortable using a soldering iron, you could replace with something more robust or a right angle.

http://www.showmecables.com/category/3.5mm-Connector.aspx

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,324 of 3,271
Quote:
I've come across a review of the FXZ-200 that may put things into perspective for potential buyers. It certainly has for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-ha-fxz200/reviews/8172

Oh, I know you told me you didn't get it when I stated the FXZ100 has more bass than the ASG-1.2, but fzman has the ASG-1.2 and is about to sell them as he too think both FXZs sound better too. Don't get me wrong, I still love all things Aurisonics, but I have to be honest about what I'm hearing. It's hard for me to describe how good this earphone sounds - especially the bass. It's really one you have to hear for yourself. The fellas aren't exaggerating when they say you have never heard bass like this in a universal IEM, period. 

But I think fzman can explain better what I and he are hearing from a more technical standpoint, since you stated you just don't get it. I would inbox him. Nice enough dude and fellow Chicagoan. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,325 of 3,271
I've come across a review of the FXZ-200 that may put things into perspective for potential buyers. It certainly has for me.

He did say it was a preliminary impression of the product. Of course, it may be his final review when all is said and done, but his views may change as time goes by. That said, it says pretty much what I wanted out of this product. A much more fun signature than the UERM's that I already own for more bass filled things that I listen. Also amusing that he uses James words to describe these as James described the Sennheiser IE800, which is at least twice as much as the FXZ200.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,327 of 3,271
Quote:
He did say it was a preliminary impression of the product. Of course, it may be his final review when all is said and done, but his views may change as time goes by. That said, it says pretty much what I wanted out of this product. A much more fun signature than the UERM's that I already own for more bass filled things that I listen. Also amusing that he uses James words to describe these as James described the Sennheiser IE800, which is at least twice as much as the FXZ200.

3X actually.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,328 of 3,271
good review....'closet basshead'.....lol...that was the term I have been using in my mind all along to describe some of you guys and others in the headfi community. It's ok, you can wear the badge. Come out and let us all know where you stand so we can determine whether your advice or how your impressions can be used to inform our purchase decisions. By keeping it hidden, it just makes things harder. If it helps ease the shame, just call yourself an audiophile basshead. But either way the unconscious sense of shame is there for a reason, and that is because bass is addictive like crack or heroin. That's why I often refer to bassheads as addicted to the rush like a crackwhore. It's hard to go back to a leaner more natural sound the same way it's hard to go back to a life with the aches and pains associated with opiate free living. Natural sound doesn't punch as hard or as tight as even audiophile basshead sounds or at least it is often overdone in some subtle ways. Ever played drums, bass or seen live music? The natural bass drum is not super tight unless it is processed by effects. In any case closet basshead is one of the most usefull terms i've come accross on this forum and descriptive of current trends in the early 21st century. It's ruining the taste for natural sound and there may be no going back !

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,329 of 3,271
 Quote:

I dunno, I find this head and shoulders above the GR07 in versatility.  Insofar that it's not a as picky about source, source material, or genre.  I really dug the GR07 but ultimately fell back to the FXD-80 as my go-to IEM because of this.

Is my opinion more correct?  No, but I didn't have to go off thread and write - "IMHO, the thread is plagued with confusion".  I mean come on, "I am thee authoratay!" 
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,330 of 3,271
every thread is plagued with confusion. talking about sound is not easy. especially when it's mixed with traditional sounds of the 20th century and the more processed limiltess non referrable digital sounds of the 21st.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,331 of 3,271
Quote:
good review....'closet basshead'.....lol...that was the term I have been using in my mind all along to describe some of you guys and others in the headfi community. It's ok, you can wear the badge. Come out and let us all know where you stand so we can determine whether your advice or how your impressions can be used to inform our purchase decisions. By keeping it hidden, it just makes things harder. If it helps ease the shame, just call yourself an audiophile basshead. But either way the unconscious sense of shame is there for a reason, and that is because bass is addictive like crack or heroin. That's why I often refer to bassheads as addicted to the rush like a crackwhore. It's hard to go back to a leaner more natural sound the same way it's hard to go back to a life with the aches and pains associated with opiate free living. Natural sound doesn't punch as hard or as tight as even audiophile basshead sounds or at least it is often overdone in some subtle ways. Ever played drums, bass or seen live music? The natural bass drum is not super tight unless it is processed by effects. In any case closet basshead is one of the most usefull terms i've come accross on this forum and descriptive of current trends in the early 21st century. It's ruining the taste for natural sound and there may be no going back !

Yeah... I too may be a closet basshead. These FXZ's sound like they have a signature similar to the Yamaha EPH-100 which makes me lust for them even more.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,332 of 3,271
I think it will come down to when talking about the FXZ200 if you like bass in your music or not. They are versatile for me but others might have a different take on them, again bass preference is the key here. For me when the bass is done like the way it is on the FXZ200. It is hard not to love the sound but that is just me. 

So I would say the safe one to go with is the FXZ100. The FXZ200 is the supercharged version. You don't want your music supercharged go with the FXZ100.

I will also say. Do not overlook the FXZ100s. I know the majority of the posts here is in regard to the FXZ200 but the FXZ100 is outstanding for what they are. Like you guys wouldn't believe. For many the FXZ100s will actually be the better earphones over the FXZ200..

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,333 of 3,271
Quote:
every thread is plagued with confusion. talking about sound is not easy. especially when it's mixed with traditional sounds of the 20th century and the more processed limiltess non referrable digital sounds of the 21st.

I agree, but pointing that out has the subtext of "those guys are lost, here is the answer".  It's silly.  And the excessive bolding and whatnot is just try-hard.

Look, I agree mostly with what the guy writes - except the versatility aspect - but honestly I don't see how it diverges from much of the sentiment in this thread?  

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,334 of 3,271
Hey guys I need a few opinions here. In ready for a new in ear and currently have been rocking out to the gr07. Overall I just want better sound but if I have one gripe about the vsonic it's the simbilence of the highs that can get fatiguing. I would also like a bit more mid/sub bass. So I was thinking, either I get the 100/200 or I wait to see how the gr08, t-peos h-200, and the asg-2's do. Also I have been looking at the heir 3.ai as well. Should I wait?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,335 of 3,271
@bobeu.I just skimmed the review and picked up on part of it. Was it aggessive or demeaining towards bassheads? It's all in fun probably. But sometimes when a button is pushed it can elicit a response.....I love bass too, When I go see a live show, I love a good gut punch and I wiggle my way right up to the monitors and full stacks to insure I get a visceral impact. I'm just not sure I want that in a headphone. But it's good to have options in life I guess....and it's already been stated, that these aren't so much overly punchy or artificial in ways some basshead cans are. These are no jayz's or whatever....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back