JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,306 of 3,271
Quote:

Now I'm in a noisy cafe I think it was just me not getting a proper seal.  I can definitely hear the attenuation difference up vs. down.  I'm not sure if it's a tip issue so much as my tragus hitting the housing keeping it from going that last millimeter or two to get a seal.  I can sorta seal if I rock them backward but it doesn't hold.  But I'd love to stand corrected on this, that 'almost seal' sound is probably closer to the audiophile ideal, and maybe there is something to the bore angle being more direct.

bobeau,   they can still give a proper seal, and not isolate completely.  this drove me crazy for a long time, with a large range of iems.  Small iems, like Grado Gr8/10, using Large comply tips isolated the best of anything i've ever tried - everything else can still produce proper bass response (good seal), but bleed outside sound a bit.  i have no way of measuring dB of isolation, and can't even really guess.  

With these JVCs, and lots of other iems, "fit/positioning" is just like placing speakers in a room - it matters greatly, and dramatically affects the sound you get.  Keep playing with depth and tip-size, try a range of different tracks and genres, and pay close attention to what does what -- you'll get the right balance.

Happy hunting!

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,307 of 3,271
Dec 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,308 of 3,271
Quote:
these are larges?  I think i'll try some, seems like they'll be worth having.  they don't say large on the site.  

I believe the Meelic double flanges are only one size, but they appear to be large (one size fits all), the single flange tips on their site come in different sizes but not the double flange.  I normally can wear large size tips, depending on the mfg, sometimes I make a medium work.  But these Meelic tips were recommended when the Aurisonics ASG-1 were first introduced.....I purchased these January of last year, I looked up my past purchases on Meelic website to make sure this is what I ordered at that time.  I like these on my JVC FXZ80 as well.....they tone down the bass a little, and improve mids and highs, and work well were shallow insertion is needed.  They are very comfortable and you don't feel any presure, because they are soft and thin silicone!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,309 of 3,271
Quote:
bobeau,   they can still give a proper seal, and not isolate completely.  

Yeah, I've owned several IEMs and nothing isolates quite like Etymotics (or really more to the point a small bore triflange) - a true suction seal that can cause damage if removed hastily.  This is probably the best seal I've gotten from a dynamic, but like most it pops right out with no effort.

That said, I'm speaking to the quality I'm hearing with this up/down (what cute was getting at), and at least for me it appears to be a broken seal.  I played with this some more and find when having one OTE/one down, I can equalize the sound by gently pulling at the bottom of the OTE one with a fingernail and hear that extra bit of ambient noise, the rush of air in the room.  In a noisy environment like I was in last night it wasn't working, I had to turn up the volume a bit and it seemed tinny.  In a quiet environment it could arguably be better.  I think that's in part testament to the power of these IEMs. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,310 of 3,271
I'm not terribly thrilled with the 3.5mm jack. I've gotten used to L-shaped terminations nowadays, and I'm a little surprised not to see one here. Also, the strain relief is a bit flimsy, in my opinion. Yes I can get a short extender with an L shaped termination or shore up the strain relief with some heat shrink, but did I really have to with something like this? Though I haven't seen them in their products, maybe the next iteration of these iem's would include detachable cables.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,311 of 3,271
Quote:
Same here hope to get them on Monday!

Yeah tell me about it, i won't be impressed if they don't deliver, especially after being stung by them.

Im sure you'll be checking the tracking first thing, just like i will be.
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,312 of 3,271
yeah I would get them in a heartbeat if they'd have removable cables. that' s why I'm waiting for those new hybrids...

on a side note: if someone needs to regulate bass level on their fxz series maybe you'd like to try out some triflanges from meelev? the one for m21 , i.e ones with wider bore sizes. I just tried them with my xb90ex and they tamed down the bass quite a bit...

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,313 of 3,271
Quote:
yeah I would get them in a heartbeat if they'd have removable cables. that' s why I'm waiting for those new hybrids...

One thing yet to grasp is the requirement some have lately for removable cables in IEMs... to me this trend seemed to start from the poor material in the Shure SE-500 - which I experienced first hand, they began to harden and crack within 6 mos after purchase and eventually failed after about 3 years of sporadic use.  I haven't had that experience, or even a hint of wear, in any IEMs since.  

Is it for durability concerns (whether real or imagined) or is it more for having access to aftermarket cables?  If the latter are there standardized connectors?  You have to bear with me as I took a break from Head-fi for several years until last year.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,314 of 3,271
Quote:
on a side note: if someone needs to regulate bass level on their fxz series maybe you'd like to try out some triflanges from meelev? the one for m21 , i.e ones with wider bore sizes. I just tried them with my xb90ex and they tamed down the bass quite a bit...

Can you provide a link to those tips, I wasn't aware of triflanges from meelev, I did a search and nothing came up?

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,315 of 3,271
Quote:
Yeah tell me about it, i won't be impressed if they don't deliver, especially after being stung by them.

Im sure you'll be checking the tracking first thing, just like i will be.
wink_face.gif

I will be checking it first thing in the morning mate. The guy i spoke to said he would try an get it in here for Monday but he wasn't sure!
I think we will be amongst the first in the UK to have these phones which is kinda cool. I will be most inters ted to hear how sound stage compares to the eph-100. and how the bass compares to the Cks77.   

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,316 of 3,271
I will be checking it first thing in the morning mate. The guy i spoke to said he would try an get it in here for Monday but he wasn't sure!
I think we will be amongst the first in the UK to have these phones which is kinda cool. I will be most inters ted to hear how sound stage compares to the eph-100. and how the bass compares to the Cks77.   

Soundstage no idea, but I think bass will be tighter, hit harder and lower. Mids more forward and treble more detailed.

The yammies are nice, but im hoping the 200's will give me the bass I crave.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,318 of 3,271
Quote:
 I will be most inters ted to hear how sound stage compares to the eph-100

I have maybe a couple hundred hours on the EPH-100.  First off, keep in mind the Yamahas are vented and these are not, and I think alot of that spaciousness in their sound comes from that.  I'm not terribly good at making these comparisons but I'd say on stage size they're in a similar ballpark.  On imaging there's no contest, the 200s cream them.  The overall frequency curve gives me the impression that it's actually close to the EPH-100s (more so than say the FXD-80s, which has a decidedly V-curve) but without that sharp spike in the treble and better resolution on the top and bottom.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,319 of 3,271
Quote:

One thing yet to grasp is the requirement some have lately for removable cables in IEMs... to me this trend seemed to start from the poor material in the Shure SE-500 - which I experienced first hand, they began to harden and crack within 6 mos after purchase and eventually failed after about 3 years of sporadic use.  I haven't had that experience, or even a hint of wear, in any IEMs since.  

Is it for durability concerns (whether real or imagined) or is it more for having access to aftermarket cables?  If the latter are there standardized connectors?  You have to bear with me as I took a break from Head-fi for several years until last year.

for me it's mainly for the durability issues. I never broke cables on my iems, but knowing my luck, the first one to break will be the most expensive one :D so yeah...

Quote:

Can you provide a link to those tips, I wasn't aware of triflanges from meelev, I did a search and nothing came up?

it came with my m21 but I think these are those that I'm talking about:

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts3-tf-l-35-cl.htm

it doesn't say m21 for some reason but it should be it. mind that it has wider bore than the tips that come with m6...

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,320 of 3,271

for me it's mainly for the durability issues. I never broke cables on my iems, but knowing my luck, the first one to break will be the most expensive one :D so yeah...

I think it's durability as well. I've already replaced the cable on my TF10's due to a short in the 3.5mm plug after an amount of usage and just went with an inexpensive cable. I don't want to have to do this to the FXZ200's because of flimsy stress relief. For now I'm buying a short extension cable with an L shaped plug to take the stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back